Coyotes.

March 9, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

Where I live coyotes are becoming an increasing problem. There are two known "packs" in the area, resulting in roughly 12-15 coyotes. I cleared the back few acres today and noticed they've got a "highway" clearly worn across the back the property. There are skulls and pieces of bone scattered. As soon as it gets dark you can hear them the groups of them making noise, and moving around quiet close to the house. There are small dogs and an old rotty, as well as higher ends horses boarded here and I'm wondering the best way of killing these coyotes. Traps seem a little cruel, they're pretty skittish and stay back during the day, but are rather bold at night as we've found tracks into the barn, and on the deck of the house. Otherwise, during the day I would just shoot them. Any ideas nsmb?

March 9, 2013, 10:59 p.m.

make dim sum

March 9, 2013, 11:11 p.m.

Knowed some folks lived up the valley from Grand Forks, they had like 150 acres fenced off with something like this….

….compleat w/remote actuated gate.

Never worried 'bout 'yotes, deer in the garden or having to kill them. Had a Great Pyrenees roaming inside. Of course, their place was so big that where the house and out buildings were situated you really weren't aware of the fence around you.

Otherwise I''m sure 2bit or Farmer could set you up with some Rambo sniper rig w/night vision scope………coyotes are varmints can be shot on sight is that right?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 9, 2013, 11:25 p.m.

Coyotes have only becoming a problem more recently due to a change in the land use. The are was largely used for farming, and hobby acerage. But due to urban sprawl alot of the properties are just rentals now, owned by development companies waiting to cash in. And the land is over grown, giving the coyotes more and more habitat. And lots of new townhouses/tiny houses means more pets and food for coyotes. A neighbor had a sheep taken down, and once a coyotes has found food they're increasingly bold. I've heard lights are a good method too. But I'd like to widdle them back down to a better size. And not spend a fortune.

March 9, 2013, 11:32 p.m.

Camera flash.

Some old timer told the uncle duke and I this a few months back in a local coffee shop. The guy was either completely off his rocker or a legitimate bad-ass. Im thinking a lil from column a and a lil from column b.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 9, 2013, 11:38 p.m.

How about reintroducing wolves?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 9, 2013, 11:44 p.m.

Coyotes have only becoming a problem more recently due to a change in the land use. The are was largely used for farming, and hobby acerage. But due to urban sprawl alot of the properties are just rentals now, owned by development companies waiting to cash in. And the land is over grown, giving the coyotes more and more habitat. And lots of new townhouses/tiny houses means more pets and food for coyotes. A neighbor had a sheep taken down, and once a coyotes has found food they're increasingly bold. I've heard lights are a good method too. But I'd like to widdle them back down to a better size. And not spend a fortune.

There were no coyotes in BC. Then some guys with GUNS got the idea that they should kill off all the wolves in the province. Next think you know there's a mass migration of coyotes to BC from Alberta (kinda like there is with humans in the summer).

When they first showed up around here about 20 years ago, it was pretty obvious. All over the place there were "have you seen my cat" posters popping up. It was great - no more stray cats shitting in my yard.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 9, 2013, 11:45 p.m.

Camera flash.

Some old timer told the uncle duke and I this a few months back in a local coffee shop. The guy was either completely off his rocker or a legitimate bad-ass. Im thinking a lil from column a and a lil from column b.

I read a whole bunch about light and them, pretty interesting stuff actually. Red and blue lights they aren't afraid of, but white light flickering or steadily on makes a big difference

March 9, 2013, 11:46 p.m.

How about reintroducing wolves?

I fucking wish. Closest wolf pack is only 1.5 hrs away.

March 9, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

I've heard lights are a good method too.

Like this?

But I'd like to widdle them back down to a better size. And not spend a fortune.

Don't coyote populations self regulate to food source? You could end up playing whack-a-mole.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 9, 2013, 11:53 p.m.

Like this?

Don't coyote populations self regulate to food source? You could end up playing whack-a-mole.

I don't want my animals to be a food source, and coyotes hunt based on prior experience, so if they lose members when they come near my place maybe they'll smarten up

March 9, 2013, 11:55 p.m.

They hunt in packs. There was an instance at a nearby field where one coyote ran out and got a dog to chase it into the brush where there were a few more coyotes waiting.

Besides technology, if you can get some wolf urine and spray that around, it might deter them. An agressive and powerful dog might help too - something really big that'll shred the varmints.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 10, 2013, 12:10 a.m.

I read a whole bunch about light and them, pretty interesting stuff actually. Red and blue lights they aren't afraid of, but white light flickering or steadily on makes a big difference

Motion activated camera flash

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 10, 2013, 12:20 a.m.

They hunt in packs. There was an instance at a nearby field where one coyote ran out and got a dog to chase it into the brush where there were a few more coyotes waiting.

Besides technology, if you can get some wolf urine and spray that around, it might deter them. An agressive and powerful dog might help too - something really big that'll shred the varmints.

Female coyotes in heat lure your dog into the bush, where the rest of the pack waits in ambush.

Kind of like hot chix outside the nightclub…you step inside and BAM you're annihilated.

March 10, 2013, 12:46 a.m.