cool smallish pickups (global)

Dec. 22, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

i have a nissan frontier, love it. lots of taco's amongst the mates and filling every local trailhead. other than that not a lot of great smaller trucks and while i like mine, the fuel mileage is just awful. i was researching some tires and came across an Australia test with all these cool pickups i never even knew about. isuzu dmax, toyota hilux, vw amarok and others. mazda makes them, everyone does. why the hell don't we get these awesome trucks here with their small diesel engines? i don't know the market research but it sure seems that some of these would be well received in NA, especially for the Cascadian lifestyle.

Dec. 22, 2015, 6:55 p.m.

We were just in Costa Rica and the new Ford Rangers looked really nice. The VW truck looked not bad too. I've always liked the Hilux and the diesel option would be cool.

I've always wondered why some of those trucks don't come to NA.

Dec. 22, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

Nissan has a diesel now. http://m.nissan.ca/en/trucks/2016-titan/?

Dec. 22, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

Simple . . . Cuz they'd sell too many of them .

Dec. 22, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

Simple - they'd cost too much to meet north american diesel emissions regulations.

Dec. 22, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

The Izuzu is pretty much the same thing as the GMC/Chevy small truck.

There is supposed to be a Frontier Diesel option coming out.

You can buy a new Twatcoma or nicely equipped EcoBoost F150 or Sierra/Silverado for about the same price. Not sure which gives more douche cred though.

The diesel Hilux/4Runner trucks I saw in CA last winter were pretty ace.

OP, what Fronti do you have?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 22, 2015, 8:24 p.m.

If you're concerned with mileage, look into some intakes and ecu tuning options.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 22, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

crew cab short box 4L 6. very short box is great overall and better driving but can be lacking in the 'pickup' dept at times. the trade off works for me. 3"x2" lift kit, radflo coilovers with control arms and custom leaf pack in back with bils shocks. better than stock on road and off. k[HTML_REMOVED]n cold air intake adds a bit of oompf and snarl. up one size with tires. great on logging roads and light trail duty but wouldn't want to get too much wheel spin- no lockers or traction control. few places it can't go and when it starts to look hairball, i'm happy to bow out.

ecu tuners? like super chips that sorta thing? i'm skeptical. can they really make up for old engineering? the fronty is due for a replacement, not mine, but the model in general. prolly 10 more years for mine i reckon.

Dec. 22, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

I got a Frontier 4.0L 6spd king cab. Would buy again, nice low end torque, exhaust sounds great. Getting 13.3L/100km bombing around the city, not terrible for what it is.

Dec. 22, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

Honda is bringing the Ridgeline back for 2017 and there's new rumours of a Ford Ranger [HTML_REMOVED] Bronco returning. I sorta lost interest in what Toyota is doing.

Dec. 22, 2015, 10:36 p.m.

ecu tuners? like super chips that sorta thing? i'm skeptical. can they really make up for old engineering? the fronty is due for a replacement, not mine, but the model in general. prolly 10 more years for mine i reckon.

Not sure what's available for your vehicle but there's usually something out there that can provide some combination of smoother power and mileage or just powa.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 22, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

There's also ram 1500 with eco diesel option; for full size

Dec. 23, 2015, 6:23 a.m.

we dont get the small diesel or pickups here because the big three know north america is the only place where they can sell huge amounts of fullsizes, on which they make much more profit compared to the smaller pickups.

the chevy/gmc canyonado is available with a diesel but they apparently have a massive backlog of orders and people are waiting upwards of 6 months from what Ive read.

the new f150s are apparently getting decent mileage and theres a diesel in the works for it.. but honestly im burned out on diesels, they kinda ruined them with all the EGR and DPFs and SCRs.. way to expensive and finicky for anything id trust to run me into the woods and back.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 23, 2015, 6:42 a.m.

we dont get the small diesel or pickups here because the big three know north america is the only place where they can sell huge amounts of fullsizes, on which they make much more profit compared to the smaller pickups.

the chevy/gmc canyonado is available with a diesel but they apparently have a massive backlog of orders and people are waiting upwards of 6 months from what Ive read.

the new f150s are apparently getting decent mileage and theres a diesel in the works for it.. but honestly im burned out on diesels, they kinda ruined them with all the EGR and DPFs and SCRs.. way to expensive and finicky for anything id trust to run me into the woods and back.

just buy a longhorn and drop a 12v in it

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Dec. 23, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

I read a quote from the head of Toyota's North American truck division and he said that to meet emissions it'd cost about $2,700 per truck and "the Tacoma's margins do not allow for that kind of cost increase.". In other words they like making lots of money per Taco and don't want to up their cost.