Convoy

Jan. 28, 2022, 8:36 p.m.

What do you all think?

I know 2 guys on their way there. One is stuck in a jam on hwy 17, one is outside Ottawa. They both say its bigger than the media is reporting.

I feel like this will be a big moment in Canadian history

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 28, 2022, 8:42 p.m.

I listened to a CBC interview with a trucker convey leader. He came off like a misinformed conspiracy nut.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/frontburner/the-trucker-convoy-heads-to-ottawa-1.6330723

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Jan. 28, 2022, 9:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 28, 2022, 10:04 p.m.

I'm siding with Trump Jr. on this.  I mean, when has he ever been wrong?

Jan. 28, 2022, 10:22 p.m.

Alien article below it was more interesting. 

"Why haven't we discovered any aliens? If they are alien civilizations in the universe, why haven't they contacted us?" — one of the most famous solutions to that paradox is that it's quite likely that civilization, once it reaches a certain technological advancement, simply destroys itself.

Jan. 29, 2022, 7:56 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

What do you all think?

I know 2 guys on their way there. One is stuck in a jam on hwy 17, one is outside Ottawa. They both say its bigger than the media is reporting.

I’d be curious if those two can count.

Jan. 29, 2022, 7:57 a.m.

I saw this one article where it leads with "trucker thinks it's time to end the mandate"

K, cool, doctors probably think truckers should stfu.

Jan. 29, 2022, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I listened to a CBC interview with a trucker convey leader. He came off like a misinformed conspiracy nut.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/frontburner/the-trucker-convoy-heads-to-ottawa-1.6330723

Sure did. 

Also to that, I watched a fellow carry on jubilantly a couple of days ago about how this was going to be Canada’s Jan.6. How do you guys feel about that? Personally it bothers me.

Jan. 29, 2022, 9:20 a.m.

What do you all think?

Definitely seems to be under reported. Musk tweeted "support" for the truckers. And I also agree it should be a moment for Canadian history. We can find some good videos on the twitter about the size and support from the locals. Locals being those showing up in the cold hanging flags and home made signs of support off of over passes and road sides.

They have this guys support.

Jan. 29, 2022, 9:35 a.m.

I'm guessing thing thread didn't go as hoped. This is what I posted on a friend's FB who had a thread about this.

I 'd guess that most people don't think ill of truck drivers, but they probably disagree with some of the reasoning surrounding this protest. There's also probably some dislike over the Americanized branding of the Freedom Convoy which has drawn in some fringe elements. This doesn't justify all the protesters being branded this way, but any most protests against restrictions/vaccines have tended to side towards ideas that aren't supported by the science that exists. I think it's great they are protesting for what they believe in and I support their right to do so, but have to disagree on their rationale for the protest.

There's no way this will be a big moment in Canadian history unless some of the wing-nuts that have tagged along decide to do something stupid. I get that some of these drivers believe that they are in a difficult position, but so are a lot of other people. What's going to hurt them the most in the eyes of the general public is their apparent lack of knowledge on this issue - or at least that's how any of the protesters who've talked to the media have come across.

Jan. 29, 2022, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I'm guessing thing thread didn't go as hoped. This is what I posted on a friend's FB who had a thread about this.

I 'd guess that most people don't think ill of truck drivers, but they probably disagree with some of the reasoning surrounding this protest. There's also probably some dislike over the Americanized branding of the Freedom Convoy which has drawn in some fringe elements. This doesn't justify all the protesters being branded this way, but any most protests against restrictions/vaccines have tended to side towards ideas that aren't supported by the science that exists. I think it's great they are protesting for what they believe in and I support their right to do so, but have to disagree on their rationale for the protest.

There's no way this will be a big moment in Canadian history unless some of the wing-nuts that have tagged along decide to do something stupid. I get that some of these drivers believe that they are in a difficult position, but so are a lot of other people. What's going to hurt them the most in the eyes of the general public is their apparent lack of knowledge on this issue - or at least that's how any of the protesters who've talked to the media have come across.

Or there's no way it'll be a big moment since its not getting the covering it deserve's? 50,000+ trucks/rigs and more citizens showing support. I guess we have to wait to see who writes history.

Jan. 29, 2022, 9:42 a.m.

They still can't go to the USA unless they are vaccinated...

Jan. 29, 2022, 10 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

No this went exactly as expected.

A protest like this should have happened when they started firing unvaccinated workers

Jan. 29, 2022, 10:02 a.m.

A protest like this should have happened when they started firing unvaccinated workers

Agreed. But for that, we would need some level of solidarity and there's very little of that here.

Jan. 29, 2022, 10:09 a.m.

Which unvaccinated workers? Hospital staff? Workers in long term care homes?

Jan. 29, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

Just imagine if all us vaccinated people showed up for a rally. You know, the 80-90% of us who aren't clinically insane.