Connecticut School Shooting ?

Dec. 16, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

"having less guns" is a naive notion. It's like wishing for a nuclear free planet. All
we can do at this point is mitigate. We know making them illegal won't work (look how
well that worked for booze or weed, or any other drug) even the death penalty won't stop
the illegal sale of guns http://www.niqash.org/articles/?id=3117, not producing them
won't work Pakistan hills a good example. Making guns isn't hard

Saying "it'll make them harder to get" is BS. Is it any harder to get heroin now than
40 yrs ago? How about weed? Cocaine? There's a lot of money spent trying to stop that
trade and a lot of people dying because of it, how many will die if we did that? Or how
much money would it take?

The Washington Post blog that Playhata posted suggests that having less guns is not a naive notion.

8. More guns tend to mean more homicide.

The Harvard Injury Control Research Center assessed the literature on guns and homicide and found that there’s substantial evidence that indicates more guns means more murders. This holds true whether you’re looking at different countries or different states. Citations here.

A lot of great points made in that post. One of the most informative posts I've seen in the last two days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

I'll fully support a ban on assault weapons. So shameful that we let the ban expire in 2004. I'm feeling optimistic that Feinstein's bill will pass, again.

Dec. 16, 2012, 5:48 p.m.

What the left-wing media doesn't report when they say these are military style "assault rifles" is that pretty much all of them are semi-auto. The military uses full auto or 3-round bursts. Yes, you can buy full auto firearms in the US, but it takes a special license. I take the same offense to people who call pistols "semi-auto pistols". Basically any pistol but a break action or single action revolver is semi-auto. And most of those who shoot single action can unload faster and more accurately than those with a pistol or double action revolver.

And to the "ban concealed carry" crowd, bet you didn't see this:

Just in case anyone was curious on the definition of "assault rifle"

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 16, 2012, 6:22 p.m.

Too many guns

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/15/what-makes-americas-gun-culture-totally-unique-in-the-world-as-demonstrated-in-four-charts/

Dec. 16, 2012, 6:24 p.m.

^ link not working?

Just want to get someone else's opinion on this. Which one of these would be an assault rifle?

a)

-or-

b)

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

Dec. 16, 2012, 6:28 p.m.

I fixed the link.

As for your gun pic I'm going to guess that the one on the bottom holds more bullets.

Dec. 16, 2012, 7:17 p.m.

I bet they all are ?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

look at how many ^^ ways you can get the mini-14?

how hard would it be in the excited states to find somebody with a little knowledge to make a semi-auto into full auto sitting at my kitchen table ?

Dec. 16, 2012, 7:57 p.m.

Fuck the 2nd amendment.
If you want a firearm you can have one that was available when the constitution was written. Try mass killing with a flintlock or similar.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 16, 2012, 8:24 p.m.

From my perspective: Guns, outlawed or not, will never go away. What needs to happen is the stigma with mental health care needs to go away. People with mental illness need to get cheap excellent care. Of course prevention, starting at a young age, should also be a priority.

I'd like to see teachers, school administrators, and health care professionals get enough education/training on mental health/societal wellbeing issues to have intelligent conversations on the topic and make appropriate referrals. This will probably never happen because there is no profit in it.

www.vitalmtb.com

Dec. 16, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

It's not just mental health (poor description) and guns. It's about culture, and especially morality. Some cultures could probably be armed to the teeth and have very little issues with gun violence. Unfortunately, the country with the most guns is also the country with the most (by far) gun related homicides and suicides, and it does not have the culture - the morality - to live like that without serious consequences. A manic person be incapable of taking another life; their mental illness does not impair their sense of morality. Yet a sane person may not have issue with pulling the trigger as, to them, it isn't immoral.

It's beyond comprehension that people believe that the solution is more guns. This is insanity.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 16, 2012, 8:58 p.m.

I bet they all are ?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

look at how many ^^ ways you can get the mini-14?

how hard would it be in the excited states to find somebody with a little knowledge to make a semi-auto into full auto sitting at my kitchen table ?

The problem there is if you don't do it just perfect, you end up with a full auto that you pull the trigger once and then doesn't shut off until the mag is empty.

Dec. 16, 2012, 9:02 p.m.

'murica has got a simple choice to make.

It can either keep it's citizens swimming in a soup of psychotropic drugs, or have guns.
Mixing both is proving lethal.

'muricans have been armed to the teeth since the end of the Civil War when soldiers took their weapons home with them. Murderous rampages like this most recent one did not become commonplace until psychotropic drugs became widely prescribed.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 16, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

Well, it looks like Obama is growing a pair….
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/16/president-obamas-enough-is-enough-newtown-speech/
…sounds like the warm up to sane gun control reform to me.

The is one side of me that thinks this could blow back in democrats faces, like the last time there was an assault weapon ban. The other side of me thinks the public is rational enough to see that the GOP's answer to 20 children murdered is more guns and fewer restrictions is insane.

The assault weapon used in this tragedy was purchased legally, after the Brady ban was allowed to expire….

Dec. 16, 2012, 10:42 p.m.

Socially misadjusted middle class white kids that don't fit in.

Better lock up everyone who fit's that profile.

Reality is.. like was said for that black kid killed by Zimmerman. Time for everyone to shut the fuck up and wait for the cops to finish their investigation and get all the info.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

Well.. I readily admit to knowing the field mod that would allow the FN C1 to shoot full auto.:agree:

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2012, 10:58 p.m.

Lady Gravity, I didn't read any of the thread or the link you posted. I posted what I was thinking at the moment. Should I have read your link?

www.vitalmtb.com