Connecticut School Shooting ?

Dec. 18, 2012, 8:25 a.m.

But in the end, who really controls the place? That's the end result. It's been shown that
a populous that doesn't want it's regime can take their country back, even if they don't
have tanks and planes and shit.

They control the place because it's their home, not because they have guns.

Also, they didn't 'take their country back', popular opinion in the US has turned and they're removing troops because they can't politically justify staying to the populous, not because they were thrown out by a couple of guys with RPGs and AKs.

Dec. 18, 2012, 8:29 a.m.

That's what they said at the last mass shooting. And the one before the. And the one before that. And the one before that…

61 mass shootings in 30 years.

Dec. 18, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

Death and delusion in a nation of assualt rifles

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 18, 2012, 9 a.m.

….and all of those other incidents created the same bullshit circular gun control/mental health debates.

There are 3 basic things that I would like to see happen in North America and prehaps the rest of the world:

- assault rifles are unnecessary. no civilian ever needs more than 5 rounds in a gun, if you need more than that,you suck at hunting,go back to the range and dial your shot in.

-"sporting" handguns must not be kept in the home. The ranges should have lockups where you can keep your guns.

-Stop handing out antidepressants like candy. I was recently shocked to learn how many friends and family are on one drug or another….and thr truth is that they can be dangerous if their use is not monitored. look it up if you so please.

So where do we go from here?

Instead of arguing on message boards, how do we really start changing things?

Before Friday we weren't even arguing. It's a start. What to do next? Bring it up whenever officials are being elected. That is, decreasing unnecessary weapons and the improvement of health care.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 18, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

There are those that need, and those that do not. I'll always help the former and you'll always be a selfish dick.

What those people need is their loved ones alive. No amount of money can accomplish that.

I'm not going to knock you for being charitable. Your motivation was noble.

My guess if you asked these people who lost loved ones if they wanted money or some action that would mitigate the chances of this happening again, the answer would be the former in every case.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Dec. 18, 2012, 10:06 a.m.

Dec. 18, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

…at least the "Kinder Surprise" threat to U.S. children is well in hand!

something really wrong down there…
http://www.gogonews.com/posts-Kinder+Surprise+At+The+U.S.+Border-9574.html

Dec. 18, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

Kn, can you tell me why only 2 people died in the recent shooting in a Portland mall, rather than 20 or 30?

MAD: Mutually Assured Destruction. It's been keeping America free since the cold war.

Not when it is a crazy person / country.

Dec. 18, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

Clearly MORE guns in schools is the answer.

KEARNS, Utah – A 6th grade student brought an unloaded handgun to West Kearns Elementary School Monday.
The 11-year-old boy allegedly told other students his parents encouraged him to bring a gun to school for protection following the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday.
The boy reportedly pulled the gun, a .22-caliber pistol, out of his backpack during recess Monday morning.
“At recess, he pointed a gun to my head and said he was going to kill me,” said Isabel Rios, one of the boy’s fellow 6th grade students.

Granite School District officials say students didn’t notify teachers about the weapon until 3 p.m.

http://fox13now.com/2012/12/17/west-kearns-elementary-student-brings-gun-to-school/

Dec. 18, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

What those people need is their loved ones alive. No amount of money can accomplish that.

I'm not going to knock you for being charitable. Your motivation was noble.

My guess if you asked these people who lost loved ones if they wanted money or some action that would mitigate the chances of this happening again, the answer would be the former in every case.

This goes without saying, of course. And it is the reason I feel compelled to give some money as I cannot do anything else from here. I don't have a lot of money, I struggle to feed my wife and two children on just my wages, but as a father of a 4 year old in school the thought of such a tragic loss has really shook me personally, especially after hearing the details how each child was shot multiple times and one little girl was shot 11 times. How can someone deal with that?

A friend of mine (and he is on this forum but rarely posts) lives 22 miles from this school. Had he lived two miles to the east, his child would have been in that classroom as he would have been in that school's district. His wife is driving their children to school this week and everyday there are funerals at the churches she has to pass. Close to home and heavy on the heart.

My boss lost a son and I asked him if he ever 'gets over' such a loss, and he replied, "No, you just learn to cope with it in whatever way you can. I can handle my emotions better than my wife can". We spoke in length about the loss and how he deals with it, then agreed to never mention it again.

As a community, as a neighbour, I would hope that we offer empathy and assist with whatever means possible. Nothing will bring these innocent victems back and no internet debate will make it worse I suppose; but we can do something to TRY to make it even just a little bit better. It's a personal choice for everyone, of course. I felt it was appropriate to mention what options were available and stand by my words and convictions.

Dec. 18, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

Good on ya Zed. Nobody should be on you for trying to do something good during an incredibly emotional time. Even if they don't need the money, I can understand you wanting to do something to show that people everywhere feel their pain.

We have seen so many of these shootings over the years, and more frequently in the last few. I don't know about the rest of you but when I heard that 20 little children were shot dead I felt a deeper sadness for people I didn't know than I think I have ever felt before.

Regardless of your opinion to what the root cause of this epidemic is, something needs to change. A conversation is coming on how to manage guns in America, because this was the final straw.

Dec. 18, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

This goes without saying, of course. And it is the reason I feel compelled to give some money as I cannot do anything else from here. I don't have a lot of money, I struggle to feed my wife and two children on just my wages, but as a father of a 4 year old in school the thought of such a tragic loss has really shook me personally, especially after hearing the details how each child was shot multiple times and one little girl was shot 11 times. How can someone deal with that?

A friend of mine (and he is on this forum but rarely posts) lives 22 miles from this school. Had he lived two miles to the east, his child would have been in that classroom as he would have been in that school's district. His wife is driving their children to school this week and everyday there are funerals at the churches she has to pass. Close to home and heavy on the heart.

My boss lost a son and I asked him if he ever 'gets over' such a loss, and he replied, "No, you just learn to cope with it in whatever way you can. I can handle my emotions better than my wife can". We spoke in length about the loss and how he deals with it, then agreed to never mention it again.

As a community, as a neighbour, I would hope that we offer empathy and assist with whatever means possible. Nothing will bring these innocent victems back and no internet debate will make it worse I suppose; but we can do something to TRY to make it even just a little bit better. It's a personal choice for everyone, of course. I felt it was appropriate to mention what options were available and stand by my words and convictions.

Of course I agree with all this. Hit close to home with me too. I have a kid in Grade 1. Again I am not knocking your for being charitable.

My point was more directed toward your stance that any debate on this is disrespectful to the families and that this donation will be more meaningful. I don't agree with that one bit.

Hope your friend can get through this situation and retain some sense of normalcy.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Dec. 18, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

…at least the "Kinder Surprise" threat to U.S. children is well in hand!

something really wrong down there…
http://www.gogonews.com/posts-Kinder+Surprise+At+The+U.S.+Border-9574.html

Candy eggs – bravo, bravo! Amid a serious topic, I find these types of thoughtless posts incredibly pussy. There are plenty of rational people down South (even in this thread), but just like watching Fox news, you choose to listen only to the loudest (i.e. HiBullit).

I think one of the telltale emerging narratives in CT is the privacy with which this mom raised her son. He obviously had mental health issues, but she chose to isolate and deal with the problems herself. As offered earlier in this thread:

People's attitudes towards mental health need to change.

Although this is true of mental health, I actually think it’s much more than that. IMO, the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” adage is more engrained in American culture than apple pie. As an American (a proud one – like flag flying), it’s hard not to endorse this self-reliant way of thinking. That said, it’s pretty clear that this approach is not sustainable in all arenas. This kid obviously needed outside intervention and help from his community. I’m guessing, but in an affluent neighborhood like Newtown, I bet the necessary services were available. I really think part of the conversation has to revolve around figuring out how to advertise help so that it can be welcomed by those that need it, but don’t want it.

If people want to argue and name call, so be it. Gun control is a central issue here. Simply put, if some form of gun control doesn’t emerge as a result of this event, it’ll never happen. Those people advocating for increased gun ownership as a solution to the problem should write a letter expressing their beliefs to a parent of one of the first graders who was shot at close range with a bushmaster rifle, reread, and reconsider.

I also think that people should put their money where their mouth is. If you own stock (even in an index fund), demand that your investment firm not own a single share of gun production companies. Smith [HTML_REMOVED] Wesson has lost a nice chunk of change over the last two days. I can only hope that trend continues.

Dec. 18, 2012, 1:28 p.m.

Never thought I'd see something like this happen.

Cerberus to sell stake in gun maker after Connecticut shootings

I haven't really read through this thread because the event pains me greatly, but have we all agreed that closing all these mental health facilities was a colossally bad mistake and that we should seek to reopen them as soon as possible?

Dec. 18, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

Never thought I'd see something like this happen.

Cerberus to sell stake in gun maker after Connecticut shootings

Then there's this. My wife is transferring an old 401k account from Vanguard's grip as we speak.