congress woman shot

Jan. 13, 2011, 12:37 a.m.

needing a handgun for protection when you are going fucking hunting?!?

totally plausible, carrying a .44+ gun to protect yourself from a grizzly attracted to a deer kill is just good sense

meh

Jan. 13, 2011, 1:07 a.m.

US President Obama, whether you like him or not, has to be commended for taking the high road in his speech to the American people earlier this evening. He rightly deserves some of the praise being heaped on him for not turning this moment of tragedy into a political opportunity (unlike others).

Luckily, I'm not President Obama. In a nation where gun ownership is a right and health care a privilege, and whether you believe that lenient gun laws enabled this act or militarized rhetoric drove an individual to commit it, the shooter did in fact make this a political act. Fellow Arizonan Timothy McVeigh didn't bomb a ball park, and this nut didn't go after Lady Gaga. Their targets were government. It makes the "crime" or the "tragedy" political, and I would hope that President Obama would respond politically. The 9 year old girl, born on 9/11, was killed because she was interested in politics and had asked to attend the Giffords event. These killings were politically motivated.

So yeah, 9/11. Did anyone suggest that 19 Islamic fundamentalist jihadis were merely "unstable individuals?" No, because if they were just that rare instance of an "unstable individual" then there would be no reason to go into Afghanistan or Iraq with "shock and awe." If it was lone, deranged (or group of lone, deranged) people, then there is no need for increased state controls or diminished civil liberty; and legislation such as C-29 or the Patriot Act, let alone invading other countries.

And herein lies the ultimate hypocrisy: sure, we're being told by everyone not to respond to this politically. But, it means there will be no "shock and awe" applied to the NRA or gun legislation. There will be laws passed to put plexiglass around government buildings and politicians, but nothing done to protect 9 year old girls.

Jan. 13, 2011, 4:26 a.m.

I have to commend Obama for taking the inclusive approach, and trying to make something positive out of a negative. Continuous negativity is incredibly detrimental, and even if he gives up making brownie points on the issue, he's a much better person than so many of his counterparts. Just look at what tactics his opposition are restorting to while he lays low and keeps his calm.

American cigs are cheap.

Not any more.

The USA probably has more ways to go to jail than any other nation, at least they send more of their population to jail than any other nation both in actual numbers and as a % of population. Making more laws hasn't helped that society very much has it?

Actually, murder and violent crime rates have been going down in the USA.

Maybe because all you types who yap endlessly about gun control and act like the saviour for communities. Places like Malvern, Jane and Finch, the downtown east side. You only show up when shit like this happens. Other thenj that you dobn't give a shit about theswe people.

As was mentioned. Fortunately the guy was white. Because if he was black you all would be singing a different tune and there would be far less ban the gun bullshit.

Sorry, but my life doesn't revolve around Jane and Finch, and neither does that of the other 6.9 billion people on this earth.

As for the amount of melanin a person has in their skin, it makes zero diffference to me. People are either asses or they aren't.

Just a thought, especuially since people keep mentioning mental health.

If all took even half of the energy and money they waste railing against guns towards mental health. Instead of casting it aside and losing it in the anti gun crap we would actually be further a head. Think how many people who needed mental help and then used a gun who could have been intervened with if we spent even half the money on this anti gun nonsense.

Not a bad idea. Too bad the neocons we have running our province decided to close the mental hospitals and dump the patients on the street.

You can get a permit to do so but you have to be important enough
you see in Canada only important and rich people are afforded that right now a days

BTW I think you might be surprised how many carry firearms lawfully in the course of thier profession everyday on the street and the average joe don't see it

:S

Watch out for "big business", "wall street", and "commies". They are all out there and coming to get YOU.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 13, 2011, 9:16 a.m.

I never said or implied that it wasn't. I said the USA jails more people than any
other nation. Meaning that they have more laws to break that will put you in jail
than anywhere in the world. And to spell it out further. What I'm saying is that the
US or Canada doesn't need yet one more law to stop these kinds of things…
murder
is already illegal…because it will not prevent people from being killed, raped or
pillaged.

The only way to reduce this kind of stuff isn't "taking away the scissors so Billy
won't poke his eye out", it's teaching Billy that the scissors are a tool, and stabbing
your classmates or running on the playground is dumb. It's by teaching (educating
if you will) little Billy the right way to behave, and raising little Billy to be a nice
young man so he will grow into a law abiding adult.

Our governments treat us like children, because we behave like children. They
take away our rights and responsibilities because we don't want to grow up and
take responsibility for our own actions, because we want someone else to blame.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 13, 2011, 10:28 a.m.

Not a bad idea. Too bad the neocons we have running our province decided to close the mental hospitals and dump the patients on the street.

Happened long before the present government.

There was an article about 2 moths ago about the Greyhound Killers release. Specifically about the concerns of the mental health experts who deal with this stuff. They pointed out that the problems arise when they get released from the facilities. As there is no monitoring of them after they get out to check to ensure they are taking their meds as required.

So once released there is nothing other then good will and hope ensuring they decide this week to not take their medication. And then to listen to 8 out of 9 voices in their heads to cause harm to others.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 13, 2011, 10:36 a.m.

I never said or implied that it wasn't. I said the USA jails more people than any
other nation. Meaning that they have more laws to break that will put you in jail
than anywhere in the world.

I wonder how many of those jail statistics are people who are better served by a mental facility. I mean, there are people out there who because of their mental health issues can never be allowed in public.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 13, 2011, 11:02 a.m.

Happened long before the present government.

There was an article about 2 moths ago about the Greyhound Killers release. Specifically about the concerns of the mental health experts who deal with this stuff. They pointed out that the problems arise when they get released from the facilities. As there is no monitoring of them after they get out to check to ensure they are taking their meds as required.

So once released there is nothing other then good will and hope ensuring they decide this week to not take their medication. And then to listen to 8 out of 9 voices in their heads to cause harm to others.

ms palin respectfully disagrees:

"Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state."

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 13, 2011, 11:24 a.m.

"Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state."

Mr Edmund Burke sums it up nicely,

" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is is that good men do nothing."

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 13, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

I wonder how many of those jail statistics are people who are better served by a mental facility. I mean, there are people out there who because of their mental health issues can never be allowed in public.

From my understanding the larges single group is drug related, though I'm sure
there's a few mentally ill peeps there too.

Here's a stupid number (http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v10/n326/a10.html):

Nationally, over 830,000 marijuana-related arrests are made every year; more than 70,000 Americans are currently in prison for possession or sale of pot. Think about that: 70,000 Americans, locked up for something that next to no one thinks is as dangerous as alcohol.

and another ( http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/marijuana-arrests-feed-insatiable-u-s-prison-system ):

The U.S. has over 2.3 million people behind bars while China, with 4 times the population has only 1.6 million. Thats right, with only 5% of the world[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s population the U.S. incarcerates 25% of the world[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s prisoners…

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 13, 2011, 12:06 p.m.

Unless they're muslims.

Jan. 13, 2011, 12:11 p.m.

Unless they're muslims.

:lol:

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 13, 2011, 12:35 p.m.

Jan. 13, 2011, 12:50 p.m.

^ piss-poor grouping for a straight shooter

maybe this is after a few Colt 45s

Jan. 13, 2011, 1:39 p.m.

I have to commend Obama for taking the inclusive approach, and trying to make something positive out of a negative. Continuous negativity is incredibly detrimental, and even if he gives up making brownie points on the issue, he's a much better person than so many of his counterparts.

Obama is a tool,to be used and destroyed later by the people who put him there nothing more, when the US is sick of him, Ms Palin will get in, and the cycle will start all over
mother Teresa could have been running for the republicans and it would not have made a difference.

The proof is that Obama went 180 after the election and didn't do a damn thing that he said he would do , name one policy of Bush's he reversed?

did he shut down Gitmo?, reverse the patriot act?, stop rendition?

……BTW its not like his counterparts are any better anyway

coincidentally they are lower in the states where they have concealed carry

Sorry, but my life doesn't revolve around Jane and Finch, and neither does that of the other 6.9 billion people on this earth.

if not there it does around toronto haven't you watched the cbc lately

every
government that has been in power for the last 25 years has been doing that,just like the rest of our wonderful healthcare. :rolleyes: :puke:

Watch out for "big business", "wall street", and "commies". They are all out there and coming to get YOU.

well they already have you and me …..the commies are the big business where do you think our industry is going. is there any bike made in North America any more? even cove?
definitely not the more well know brands

I suggest you read the book "superclass" by rothkopf its a great read how people in charge are great and everybody else is scum
including you and me. I figure you already made your pre judgments tho

otherwise you wouldn't use the quotes you did.

I have nothing against rich people, people of power being able to defend themselves but at the same time their life is not worth any more than yours or mine.

I know …..I guess i am radical esp with cases in Ontario like AG Bryant killing a guy , right or wrong if it would have been you or me, we would still be in jail.

I guess that sort or thing is ok with you.

seriously
i don't expect to change anyones opinion but i will point out when one wrong especially when it comes to dictating how others peoples should live by limiting thier rights and freedoms and calling yourself liberal :LOL:

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:27 p.m.

Obama is a tool,to be used and destroyed later by the people who put him there nothing more, when the US is sick of him, Ms Palin will get in, and the cycle will start all over
mother Teresa could have been running for the republicans and it would not have made a difference.

The proof is that Obama went 180 after the election and didn't do a damn thing that he said he would do , name one policy of Bush's he reversed?

did he shut down Gitmo?, reverse the patriot act?, stop rendition?

……BTW its not like his counterparts are any better anyway
coincidentally they are lower in the states where they have concealed carry
if not there it does around toronto haven't you watched the cbc lately

every
government that has been in power for the last 25 years has been doing that,just like the rest of our wonderful healthcare. :rolleyes: :puke:

well they already have you and me …..the commies are the big business where do you think our industry is going. is there any bike made in North America any more? even cove?
definitely not the more well know brands

I suggest you read the book "superclass" by rothkopf its a great read how people in charge are great and everybody else is scum
including you and me. I figure you already made your pre judgments tho

otherwise you wouldn't use the quotes you did.

I have nothing against rich people, people of power being able to defend themselves but at the same time their life is not worth any more than yours or mine.

I know …..I guess i am radical esp with cases in Ontario like AG Bryant killing a guy , right or wrong if it would have been you or me, we would still be in jail.

I guess that sort or thing is ok with you.

seriously
i don't expect to change anyones opinion but i will point out when one wrong especially when it comes to dictating how others peoples should live by limiting thier rights and freedoms and calling yourself liberal :LOL:

You and Enduramil have to stop drinking moonshine. I can't make a bit of sense out of this. Periods and capitals are always nice.

FYI - It was the NDP that closed Riverview.