congress woman shot

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

I agree that it helps, but the biggest thing IMO that is causing the decline of smoking
in both the us and here is education and it's no longer considered cool or glamorous.
You see very little smoking on TV or in movies compared to 30 years ago. More
kids a growing up understanding that smoking is bad, which leads to adults not
smoking. Limiting where smoking can occur has helped too.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement for gun reform, including restrictions on gun use in TV and movies.

Welcome aboard the anti-gun lobby!

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:37 a.m.

I agree that it helps, but the biggest thing IMO that is causing the decline of smoking
in both the us and here is education and it's no longer considered cool or glamorous.
You see very little smoking on TV or in movies compared to 30 years ago. More
kids a growing up understanding that smoking is bad, which leads to adults not
smoking. Limiting where smoking can occur has helped too.

go to europe, smoking is still very cool with every one there, legal age to buy smokes in switzerland is 16.

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:39 a.m.

I just refuse to believe that unrestricted access to an infinite supply of weapons with no accountability for the security of said weapons is good policy.

Agreed

Sounds like a ringing endorsement for gun reform, including restrictions on gun use in TV and movies.

Welcome aboard the anti-gun lobby!

See, this is the problem with politics especially American politics. You're either
with us or against us. I think if you're an American (in America) you should have
the right to own a gun (hand or otherwise), AS LONG AS you can show you're not
a criminal, you know how to use a gun and understand gun safety. I have no
issues not allowing cheap guns to be produced, but I'm not against guns.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:43 a.m.

If there is no motivation for gun owners to secure their collection/arsenal, the number of guns making their way from private law abiding citizens to the street will never decrease.

For the people that may not know this;

Handguns and other restricted firearms need to be stored in a secure locked container such as a safe or vault. They are also required to be transported with a trigger lock on and in a locked gun case. You are only allowed to take them to approved ranges and need an ATT (Authorization to Transport) from the Canada Firearms Centre.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:44 a.m.

go to europe, smoking is still very cool with every one there, legal age to buy smokes in switzerland is 16.

never said anything about Europe. You want to see lots of smoking, go to Spain, worst
place I've ever been to as far as smoking. But, still one of my favorite places on earth.
I'm talking about the USA and Canada, there have been huge strides in education
in regards to tobacco in N. America in the last 30 years.

The USA probably has more ways to go to jail than any other nation, at least they
send more of their population to jail than any other nation both in actual numbers
and as a % of population. Making more laws hasn't helped that society very much
has it?

You want change, making a law isn't the way to do it, education and instilling
a
sense of social responsibility is the best way.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:49 a.m.

See, this is the problem with politics especially American politics. You're either with us or against us.

And why is that? Follow the money. Huge, HUGE money in US politics, so it is usually in a politician's personal best interest to disagree with the opposition (and always agree with campain funders) even when they inwardly do agree.

The adversarial system doesn't work when money has such influence.

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:51 a.m.

For the people that may not know this;

Handguns and other restricted firearms need to be stored in a secure locked container such as a safe or vault. They are also required to be transported with a trigger lock on and in a locked gun case. You are only allowed to take them to approved ranges and need an ATT (Authorization to Transport) from the Canada Firearms Centre.

I and, I'm assuming, most of the people in this thread are talking about US gun laws, not Canadian. Most of the guns used in gun related crime/deaths in Canada come from the US. Most states have no regulation as to the security/storage of weapons.

Jan. 12, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

You want change, making a law (threat of incarceration) isn't the way to do it, education and instilling a sense of social responsibility is the best way.

couldn't agree more

Jan. 12, 2011, 12:04 p.m.

First it was bars and restaruants, now it's concealed carry on campus.

No permit required.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 12, 2011, 12:25 p.m.

enduring Sarah Palin. she reponds, by seizing the moment the spew some more of her agenda interspersed with bad acting. got to about 60 secs before had switch it off

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Jan. 12, 2011, 1:13 p.m.

Such anger and rage.

Maybe because all you types who yap endlessly about gun control and act like the saviour for communities. Places like Malvern, Jane and Finch, the downtown east side. You only show up when shit like this happens. Other thenj that you dobn't give a shit about theswe people.

As was mentioned. Fortunately the guy was white. Because if he was black you all would be singing a different tune and there would be far less ban the gun bullshit.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 12, 2011, 1:38 p.m.

Jan. 12, 2011, 1:41 p.m.

Ahhhhh, big pic is fcuking with my iPhone!

Jan. 12, 2011, 2:10 p.m.

Maybe because all you types who yap endlessly about gun control and act like the saviour for communities. Places like Malvern, Jane and Finch, the downtown east side. You only show up when shit like this happens. Other thenj that you dobn't give a shit about theswe people.

As was mentioned. Fortunately the guy was white. Because if he was black you all would be singing a different tune and there would be far less ban the gun bullshit.

:lol: I think someone has been drinking :lol:

Jan. 12, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20028275-503544.html

Ha Ha! Made you look.