Coffee

Jan. 6, 2014, 8:49 a.m.

I hate to say it (since that how to be a mtn biker video was nearly an exact replication of my life,) but a burr grinder makes a big difference when doing french press. Got one as a wedding gift, and even the then-skeptical wife agrees now.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 6, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

yup^^ consistant grind, with a cheap bean chopper you make cofffee chunks [HTML_REMOVED] dust which I find doesnt matter much on a french press BUT the dust will plug the porta filter on an espresso mc

Jan. 6, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

The moka pot brews strong coffee, but a proper grind would be nice… sediment

March 20, 2014, 9:34 p.m.

i love how much garbage those tassimos make.

Noticed that, I'm not too keen on the "milk" either.

Yeah, nothing like taking a simple process and fucking it up to the point you create a metric shit ton of garbage, and lock yourself into a limited, stale aged product.

The key to good coffee is fresh roasted beans. /thread

http://grist.org/list/trash-from-the-k-cups-sold-last-year-would-circle-the-earth-almost-11-times/

K-Cups seem like the complicated Starbucks order of today: an expensive, caffeinated way to express your oh-so-unique taste and personality. Who needs to run out for a tall caramel macchiato when you can make a single serving of Wolfgang Puck’s Jamaica Me Crazy medium roast in the comfort of your kitchen?

Except all those little plastic cups add up to some massive trash. Ten and a half loops around the equator, in fact, according to Mother Jones. Kind of ridic for a company owned by a fair-trade, organic coffee brand, no?

Plus, the #7 plastic blend is BPA-free, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe. Even if all that plastic magically disappeared into the ether on disposal, its manufacture could still be making workers sick, writes MoJo:

_"One concern with this plastic mix is the presence of polystyrene, containing the chemical styrene, which Hoover warns is especially worrisome for workers. A possible carcinogen, styrene can wreak havoc on the nervous systems of those handling it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Keurig would not tell me what types of plastic go into its #7 blend, saying the information was proprietary, nor would it confirm or deny the presence of polystyrene in the mix."_

If that weren’t bad enough, Keurig taxes you for being bad at math: K-Cups cost you more than twice what a bag of beans does — about $50 a pound. Damn, son! If you refuse to surrender your Keurig, reusable filters or biodegradable pods are the way to go.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 20, 2014, 11:51 p.m.

Bought a Cuisinart drip machine and I've been enjoying this in it:

Taste seems mellow, caffeine kick is certainly there but not as strong as french press.

May 15, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

i got a krups bur grinder. It seems like the coarse is really not that coarse? When i pressed it the taste was great but there was some fines.
Is the grinder not working right? I read the manual but i dont see any thing else that may affect how coarse the grind is or is not. When i adjust the grind selector it does move the burrs apart.
Also, some friends brought me back some Vietnamese coffee and it was crazy good. Any one know where sells it in Van?

WTF, Over?

May 15, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

i got a krups bur grinder. It seems like the coarse is really not that coarse? When i pressed it the taste was great but there was some fines.
Is the grinder not working right? I read the manual but i dont see any thing else that may affect how coarse the grind is or is not. When i adjust the grind selector it does move the burrs apart.
Also, some friends brought me back some Vietnamese coffee and it was crazy good. Any one know where sells it in Van?

There are always some fines in french press coffee. Just don't pour 'till the last drop to avoid them. You could also buy some coffee ground for a french press (from a reputable coffee shop that knows what it is doing) and do a comparison with what your machine produces.

May 15, 2014, 5:27 p.m.

FYI, coffee is the 2nd most traded commodity in the world after oil.

Thread killer

May 17, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

I may have to reset the burs in the unit agian. I ran out of beans! LOL.

Any one know about coffee imported from Vietnam? Maybe a Vietnamese grocery store or market?

WTF, Over?

Dec. 8, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

So what are people drinking these days?

Dec. 8, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

I always like the http://www.galileocoffee.com/ coffee these guys made. I was pleased to see it in urban fare. I must say bang for buck option is the nabob whole beans. the Colombian has been great so far.

WTF, Over?

Dec. 8, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

still on the moka pot although visiting family for a week and surviving only on bodum coffee just about killed me. no texture in that shit, still can't believe I was drinking it for 10 years.

5 double americanos a day this time of year. good stuff :)

Dec. 8, 2014, 5:39 p.m.

Oso Negro prince of darkness in the percolator or 9 bar classic central italian in the espresso machine

yeah bro!!

Dec. 8, 2014, 5:52 p.m.

Oso Negro prince of darkness in the percolator or 9 bar classic central italian in the espresso machine

Do you really mean percolator? Or just a drip machine.

Dec. 8, 2014, 6:04 p.m.

have you tried the Princess of Darkness? Actually prefer it to the Prince of Darkness, little more chocolatey undertones and a little darker but still smoother at the same time

edit to add that you should give Oso's Messy Room roast a try as well, one of my faves. When they stopped carrying a straight up Bolivian Peaberry roast this was the next best. Apperantly the Bolivian Peaberry beans are in short supply/not always available