Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

Nov. 5, 2022, 4:23 a.m.

Drought stricken trees. 

Wind following atmospheric river #2. 

Phone battery almost dead.  Send help.  (Not really, we are safe)

Lower Mainland / Sunshine Coast

Outages: 309

Customers affected: 135815

Regional alert

REGIONAL ALERT POSTED: Nov 4, 9:30 p.m.

LATEST UPDATE: Nov 4, 9:30 p.m.

Heavy winds tonight have caused a number of outages throughout the Lower Mainland and on the Sunshine Coast. All available crews will be working to restore power to customers through the night but we expect some customers to be without power overnight. Individual restoration times will be provided as soon they are available. Thank you for your patience.

Nov. 5, 2022, 4:34 p.m.

Saw a massive tree lying across I think 22nd or 23rd Avenue just a block east of main st. Today. At least one car was crushed. Hope nobody got hurt.

Nov. 5, 2022, 7 p.m.

Still sitting lit by Lezyne LEDs and just emptied the fridge perishables to the cooler on the deck after walking ten lbs of ice up the hill.  

I was so stoked to see all the single occupancy cars stuck in traffic around the Seymour Parkway closure today.   Hint - you are part of the solution. 

Good thing our van  (driven <1000 km this year) has a propane fridge.

Nov. 5, 2022, 7:36 p.m.

I started taking transit to work as soon as 2 dollar gas became the new normal. I'm actually starting to prefer it. It feel good to be out in the world touching elbows with the general public again somehow.

Nov. 5, 2022, 7:59 p.m.

Unfortunately today I wasn't feeling self righteous so I have nothing to add.

Last edited by: switch on Nov. 6, 2022, 11:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 6, 2022, 1:13 p.m.

^ don't you get 15% off everything? 

Best if you just stayed out of this topic entirely. You don't have enough skin in the game anymore to be trusted.

Nov. 7, 2022, 6:45 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Consider how nearly a day of thousands of cars idling each at least 1.5 hours (I saw the IG and FB posts) to get outta Deep Cove / Seymour is helping the climate crisis.  At least half to 3/4 of those drivers could have looked at google maps, traffic radio, or TV and decided to stay home, walk or pedal.  But no, there was a hero dirt ride (to be driven to) or they had tickets for the show.  

"Humanity has a choice: co-operate or perish,"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/un-cop27-climate-guterres-gore-1.6642844

Nov. 15, 2022, 11:40 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: switch

Consider how nearly a day of thousands of cars idling each at least 1.5 hours (I saw the IG and FB posts) to get outta Deep Cove / Seymour is helping the climate crisis. At least half to 3/4 of those drivers could have looked at google maps, traffic radio, or TV and decided to stay home, walk or pedal. But no, there was a hero dirt ride (to be driven to) or they had tickets for the show.

"Humanity has a choice: co-operate or perish,"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/un-cop27-climate-guterres-gore-1.6642844

The irony here is that Seymour Parkway was originally supposed to have a bridge that went across to belcarra.

But it was not built, because environment. Oops.

Not saying that's a real solution but just funny to think about in that context.

Last edited by: Kenny on Nov. 15, 2022, 11:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 14, 2023, 9:08 a.m.

So it seems that microplastics messing up the oceans is not the only concern anymore. Apparently microplastics are also messing up the atmosphere by changing clouds and altering temperature and rainfall patterns.

It's like we need to put the planet into a giant intergalactic washing machine set to the sanitize cycle. 

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2023/03/14/Microplastics-Sky-Climate-Change/

March 15, 2023, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

So it seems that microplastics messing up the oceans is not the only concern anymore. Apparently microplastics are also messing up the atmosphere by changing clouds and altering temperature and rainfall patterns.

It's like we need to put the planet into a giant intergalactic washing machine set to the sanitize cycle. 

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2023/03/14/Microplastics-Sky-Climate-Change/

More clouds, cooler climate, neon purple sunsets.  Win, win, win!

May 16, 2023, 3:32 p.m.

So uhh anyone else feeling like it's too hot to be May? 

Love that this is happening just as I've decided to increase vehicle footprint... Greta would be so disappointed..

May 16, 2023, 4:10 p.m.

Another great show by Nala Ayed on CBC's Ideas covers the Great Acceleration, the past 70yrs where human activity has had a notable, and some would say profound, affect on the earth. It's a great episode and worth a listen.

"The heart of the Great Acceleration is "scale, scope and pace," McNeill told IDEAS. For the first time, beginning just 70 years ago, humans started to "fundamentally affect the governing biogeophysical cycles of the Earth" and the planet's climate system. 

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/great-acceleration-1.6814569

June 7, 2023, 3:16 p.m.

PSA: Summer is cancelled due to forest fires and smoke EVERYWHERE

As an aside, even if you don't think climate change has anything to do with the increase in forest fire activity, out forest management practices probably do.

June 7, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

Just went out and the smoke is getting pretty bad, but I'd hate to be back east.

June 7, 2023, 5:24 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Another great show by Nala Ayed on CBC's Ideas covers the Great Acceleration, the past 70yrs where human activity has had a notable, and some would say profound, affect on the earth. It's a great episode and worth a listen.

"The heart of the Great Acceleration is "scale, scope and pace," McNeill told IDEAS. For the first time, beginning just 70 years ago, humans started to "fundamentally affect the governing biogeophysical cycles of the Earth" and the planet's climate system. 

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/great-acceleration-1.6814569

CBC.....I would have thought you would have learned to take anything said from that source with a grain of salt.  

If you really want to put warming into perspective study ice core samples from the Younger Dryas to today.....guess what......it was warmer in the past with very little numbers of  humans to influence the warming.   It's just a scare tactic to get more money from you on taxation (which if you follow the money never goes to actual green agendas as the intent).  Are we having an affect?  Sure, but not nearly what the fear mongers would have you believe.  I would be more worried about pollution in terms of plastics and garbage than warming.  The biggest worry is population but funny that is not mentioned in any debate.