Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

Nov. 18, 2021, 10:41 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

knowing what they're going to have to face....

....is the Trudeaus of this world.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2021/11/17/largely-invisible-big-oil-is-calling-the-shots-in-climate-battle.html

Nov. 18, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

Capitalism = Death

“It is not a secret that COP26 is a failure. It should be obvious that we cannot solve the crisis with the same methods that got us into it in the first place. The COP has turned into a PR event, where leaders are giving beautiful speeches and announcing fancy commitments and targets, while behind the curtains governments of the Global North countries are still refusing to take any drastic climate action.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/11/18/cop26-capitalism-death/print/

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 18, 2021, 8:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 27, 2021, 12:28 p.m.

Now,.....Bubonic Plague!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/gcb.15966

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/21112021/tar-sands-canada-oil/

“BP’s championing of carbon footprints should be viewed not simply as a naïve and imperfect effort at corporate responsibility,” writes Grover, “but rather as a direct and calculated attempt to shape discussion of the problem in BP’s favor.” Oil companies, Grover notes “are actually all too happy to talk about the climate crisis. They just want you to know that it’s mostly your fault.” And they’ve succeeded remarkably with this subterfuge. Lots of people dither about eating a cup of yogurt when they could be joining Extinction Rebellion. Some benighted souls have even been hoodwinked into foreswearing children.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/11/26/big-oils-big-lie-about-who-caused-the-climate-collapse/print/

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 27, 2021, 7:07 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Nov. 30, 2021, 9:29 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: syncro

Hang the rich.

The data shows that the richest 10% of the global population emits nearly 48% of global emissions in 2019, the top 1% emits 17% of the total, whereas the poorest half of the global population emits 12% of global emissions.

You know that most of us here - including you - are in that 10% or very close to it right? How are you supporting efforts to reduce global emissions?

Get to work sunnyjim.... https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/17/Are-Fossil-Fuels-In-Our-Future-BC/

Hang the rich.

The data shows that the richest 10% of the global population emits nearly 48% of global emissions in 2019, the top 1% emits 17% of the total, whereas the poorest half of the global population emits 12% of global emissions.

You know that most of us here - including you - are in that 10% or very close to it right? How are you supporting efforts to reduce global emissions?

The single biggest difference amy one of us could make would be to adopt a plant based diet. 

I haven't done it myself but I think it's pretty much beyond debate now that our diets are warming the earth more than any other single factor.

having kids is the biggest factor for warming the earth....

Obviously more people = more CO2, but from 1950 to 1990 the population of the world doubled while CO2 output quadrupled so over consumption plays as big of a role.  Since western consumption is the main issue with CO2 and western nations would all be shrinking without immigration it is pretty much the only area in which we are succeeding.  I think for our own personal skin in this game I think FO is correct.  This pains me as I love to cook and eat animal flesh but it is undeniable that huge change would come from it.

Nov. 30, 2021, 9:35 a.m.

I am not sure how I missed this but one of the Greenpeace guys that climbed the CN Tower 20 years ago and was arrested is now the Minister of the Environment (dude on the right).  Is this a good sign?  

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/01/steven-guilbeault-canada-environment-minister-518446

Nov. 30, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

probably better than having a former CEO from an oil company as the minister...

Nov. 30, 2021, 10:53 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Hang the rich.

Get to work sunnyjim.... https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/17/Are-Fossil-Fuels-In-Our-Future-BC/

Hang the rich.

The single biggest difference amy one of us could make would be to adopt a plant based diet.

I haven't done it myself but I think it's pretty much beyond debate now that our diets are warming the earth more than any other single factor.

having kids is the biggest factor for warming the earth....

Obviously more people = more CO2, but from 1950 to 1990 the population of the world doubled while CO2 output quadrupled so over consumption plays as big of a role. Since western consumption is the main issue with CO2 and western nations would all be shrinking without immigration it is pretty much the only area in which we are succeeding. I think for our own personal skin in this game I think FO is correct. This pains me as I love to cook and eat animal flesh but it is undeniable that huge change would come from it.

The biggest factor about changing our diets is it's arguably the least disruptive action we could take in reducing emissions. Most farmland (about 80% i believe) is used to grow feed for livestock anyways and could be easily converted into growing food for us instead. Any surplus farmland could be reclaimed by the forest/marshland natural carbon sink it was before it became a farm.

There would be no need to develop new power sources or do massive infrastructure upgrades either. Everthing we would need already exists.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Nov. 30, 2021, 10:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2021, 2:01 p.m.

I try and then fall off the wagon.  Realistically the best way for me to curb my addiction to meat is to reduce as much as I can and eat locally produced meat when I do.  Also, mainly eat chicken.  The cost alone makes me eat less.  My wife is an ex-vegan so I am the problem in my house.

FO, what are your go-to meals?  My other problem is that I am not a good vegetarian cook.

Dec. 1, 2021, 2:03 p.m.

probably better than having a former CEO from an oil company as the minister...

I would certainly think so, but I am not sure how long his leash will be.  If we are lucky Trudeau is getting ready to move on and will try and go out with a bang.

Dec. 1, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

I try and then fall off the wagon.  Realistically the best way for me to curb my addiction to meat is to reduce as much as I can and eat locally produced meat when I do.  Also, mainly eat chicken.  The cost alone makes me eat less.  My wife is an ex-vegan so I am the problem in my house.

FO, what are your go-to meals?  My other problem is that I am not a good vegetarian cook.

Either take up hunting (which our government views as "sport", a whole other issue...) or raise chickens yourself.

Dec. 1, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

I'm in the same boat. I try to switch, spend 2 weeks eating oatmeal, beans and rice, fruit and salads, fart like a volcano the whole time then give up.

Dec. 1, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Either take up hunting (which our government views as "sport", a whole other issue...) or raise chickens yourself.

I would rather buy from a local organic farm.  Chickens are a pain in the ass and I live in a townhouse.  Hunting makes mountain biking look inexpensive by comparison, but I do love eating game.  My method of hunting is asking my hunting friends what they got on their trip and then I tell them how awesome it is that they bagged a (animal) and how much I love (animal). Hopefully they have too much and give me some.  :)

Dec. 1, 2021, 5 p.m.

I'm in the same boat. I try to switch, spend 2 weeks eating oatmeal, beans and rice, fruit and salads, fart like a volcano the whole time then give up.

LOL.  Damn.  I already fart like a volcano.  My wife would beg me to go back to meat.  At least we are trying.  I think the key is accepting simpler meals.  I usually try to make difficult veggie meals because I want more flavour.  I just have to accept it will never taste as good as beef.

Dec. 1, 2021, 6:19 p.m.

Mexican!  Just make the dishes without meat. RF beans, rice, salsa, quac, cheese, hot sauce....  Ole!

Felafel .... just add water boxes at Save on :  https://casbahnaturalfoods.com/product/casbah-falafel-mix/ put it in there instead of meat and do up a gyro in a pita.

All these are easy and quick to make. Once you start cutting down meat you don't even realize that you may only eat it once or twice a week.

Dec. 1, 2021, 10:34 p.m.

LOL.  Damn.  I already fart like a volcano.  My wife would beg me to go back to meat.  At least we are trying.  I think the key is accepting simpler meals.  I usually try to make difficult veggie meals because I want more flavour.  I just have to accept it will never taste as good as beef.

lol I went to the Dr when I was working out because my gas was so bad. He said if you eat too much of a similar thing, it'll do that. I havent looked into the blood type diet yet mainly bc I dont know my blood type but that could play a part as well. Also, treat yer 'volcano' like a car and its O2 sensor in the exahust system. Its why no matter how bad it smells, it still sort of smells good.

And I just have to add, if you two have nothing against Wendy's, you should try their Pretzel Pub burger. Meat or Chicken choices available but tasty af.