Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

Nov. 4, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

Looks like climate change induced famine is now a thing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58303792.amp

Nov. 9, 2021, 5:49 p.m.

https://youtu.be/1FqXTCvDLeo

Nov. 9, 2021, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I didn't know Moscow was in Kazakhstan, first Monaco is actually by the Sea and now this. Geography, much wow.

Sort of like New Zealand being under or over Australia. Depends if you Mandela or not I suppose.

Nov. 10, 2021, 6:26 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Called a natural asset company, or NAC, the vehicle will allow for the formation of specialized corporations “that hold the rights to the ecosystem services produced on a given chunk of land, services like carbon sequestration or clean water.” These NACs will then maintain, manage and grow the natural assets they commodify, with the end goal of maximizing the aspects of that natural asset that are deemed by the company to be profitable.

[E]ven the creators of NACs admit that the ultimate goal is to extract near-infinite profits from the natural processes they seek to quantify and then monetize….

Framed with the lofty talk of “sustainability” and “conservation”, media reports on the move in outlets like Fortune couldn’t avoid noting that NACs open the doors to “a new form of sustainable investment” which “has enthralled the likes of BlackRock CEO Larry Fink over the past several years even though there remain big, unanswered questions about it.” 

https://scheerpost.com/2021/11/04/wall-streets-latest-scheme-is-monetizing-nature-itself/

Hang the rich.

The data shows that the richest 10% of the global population emits nearly 48% of global emissions in 2019, the top 1% emits 17% of the total, whereas the poorest half of the global population emits 12% of global emissions. 

https://wid.world/news-article/climate-change-the-global-inequality-of-carbon-emissions/

Nov. 11, 2021, 10:46 p.m.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/problem-net-zero-cop26-climate-talks

Nov. 12, 2021, 10:52 a.m.

In case you were getting caught up in the hype...

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/11/12/the-greenwash-con-at-glasgows-cop26/print/

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/11/12/cop-dead-long-live-movement

The Ugly Canadian...

Billionaires united to fight climate change!

Mark Carney’s capitalist credentials are impeccable. He was highlighted at Glasgow as perhaps the wisest, if not the most humanistic capitalist on earth based on his book Value(s): Building a Better World For All and his public utterances to wit, the capitalist marketplace can be turned to do good for humankind. Carney, today a U.N. special envoy for climate action and finance and vice chairman and head of impact investing at Brookfield Asset Management, in addition to his past post as governor of the Bank of England, was the governor of the Bank of Canada. He held key positions at Goldman Sachs in the U.S. The 450 financial firms in Carney’s GFANZ collectively represent $130 trillion of assets, a figure that significantly exceeds the combined annual GDP of the entire world! The GFANZ financial behemoth pledged to commit to use science-based guidelines to reach net zero carbon emissions by mid-century, 2050 or thereabouts and to provide unspecified 2030 interim goals. On behalf of his consortium he pledged to deliver more than $100 trillion in financing to transition global economies by 2050. No specifics were provided! Promises aside, only a miniscule percentage of this figure was reportedly “pledged” in this endeavor. Carney’s private capitalist initiative amazingly took center stage at COP26 based on the preposterous notion that private capitalist interests – $trillionaire interests – not the governments of the world, were central to mitigating the impending catastrophes attendant to fossil fuel-induced climate change.

Convened by the United Nations last April as a consortium of banks, asset managers and insurers spanning all corners of the financial world, these super capitalists initially took the world climate stage with a mere $70 trillion in claimed assets. Some latecomer self-proclaimed do-gooder firms have since joined the hoopla to boost GFANZ’s collective holdings an additional $60 trillion. U.S. billionaire Michael Bloomberg took a bow at COP26 as it was announced that he would co-chair GFANZ with Carney. Mary Schapiro, former chair of the Securities and U.S. Exchange Commission will be a GFANZ vice chair.

The French nonprofit Reclaim Finance revealed during COP26 that GFANZ signatories, again, all private capitalist enterprises, not governments, are not required to stop financing fossil-fuel expansion. Indeed, since the 2015 Paris COP25, world banking institutions have poured $4 trillion into oil, gas and coal, with almost half a trillion of that allocated in 2021 alone.

Carney’s hyperbole and pledges, as with most nations on earth, are based on their own interpretation of what “net zero” is. Given that many nations are already claiming to have reached or are approaching that figure, if not exceeding it, “net zero” definitions differ widely.

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 12, 2021, 11:11 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 12, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

Hang the rich.

The data shows that the richest 10% of the global population emits nearly 48% of global emissions in 2019, the top 1% emits 17% of the total, whereas the poorest half of the global population emits 12% of global emissions.

You know that most of us here - including you - are in that 10% or very close to it right? How are you supporting efforts to reduce global emissions?

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 12, 2021, 10:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 10:47 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Hang the rich.

You know that most of us here - including you - are in that 10% or very close to it right? How are you supporting efforts to reduce global emissions?

The single biggest difference amy one of us could make would be to adopt a plant based diet. 

I haven't done it myself but I think it's pretty much beyond debate now that our diets are warming the earth more than any other single factor.

Nov. 17, 2021, 1 a.m.

Hang the rich.

Get to work sunnyjim.... https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/17/Are-Fossil-Fuels-In-Our-Future-BC/

Nov. 17, 2021, 6:43 a.m.

So it turns out an Atmospheric River is just a PC Pineapple Express.   Who knew?!

Nov. 17, 2021, 1:33 p.m.

Hang the rich.

Get to work sunnyjim.... https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/17/Are-Fossil-Fuels-In-Our-Future-BC/

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Hang the rich.

The single biggest difference amy one of us could make would be to adopt a plant based diet. 

I haven't done it myself but I think it's pretty much beyond debate now that our diets are warming the earth more than any other single factor.

having kids is the biggest factor for warming the earth....

Nov. 17, 2021, 1:59 p.m.

The point is that the Western lifestyle in incredibly resource intensive. On a per capita basis, Canadians are some of the most energy intensive and wasteful people on the planet. So when all the deniers here at home say "we only produce 2% of the worlds GHG emissions", they fail to realize that on a per capita basis we are the worst amongst large emitters. I think it's because we have this fallacious idea that because we're a huge country with a small population that we can pollute as much as we want. It's time that we start to realize that you, me and everyone else on this board are some of the biggest polluters and resource hogs on the planet.

Nov. 18, 2021, 6:16 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Hang the rich.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Hang the rich.

having kids is the biggest factor for warming the earth....

Except if we were all suddenly sterile and this was it for the human race it would be total anarchy. Every nuke would be launched, religious groups would go crazier than they already are etc etc

Nov. 18, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

lots of ways to reduce/maintain human population.  Good access to birth control and do you really need 8 kids?

Nov. 18, 2021, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

lots of ways to reduce/maintain human population.  Good access to birth control and do you really need 8 kids?

We're not having any. Not because I believe voluntary extinction is an honorable path though, I'm just too weak to bring a human onto this earth knowing what they're going to have to face.