Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

July 26, 2021, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Why do you insist on making statements as if they are facts, when in reality they are completely untrue?

Shogun seemed to be making a bit of an effort when he first came back which is why I decided to engage with him, but now it seems he's back to his regular programming. I've decided I'm going to go back to just ignoring him despite all the lies he posts, probably best if we all do the same.

July 26, 2021, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: chupacabra

Retirement may seem like a quaint notion with all that is going on, but having the means to prepare and protect yourself from that collapse will like cost just as much.  We can't all fit in RM's bunker.  

I would take stories like this with a grain of salt though.  The graphs always have smooth lines and almost never accurately predict disruptions.

One of the things that I'm holding some hope for is new or advancing tech of some sort being able to make a huge dent in this issue. Considering how fast/far tech has advanced in the past 60yrs or so, there could be something develop in the next 30 years that we can't even imagine today. I wouldn't bank on it, but I think the possibility exists.

The one thing that we need on a humanity scale is a change in the way we view our existence. This includes our interactions with the planet and each other. Right now, modern society en large is completely disconnected from the repercussions of it's actions. Sure some people think about it now and then and a few might have a protest or two, but in general our day to day actions have no consideration for anyone but ourselves or anything but our pocketbooks. For example my idea of not accumulating new plastics in pretty much any form is looking pretty dismal. I can accept purchases where plastic in an integral part of the product on something like the new mitre saw I purchased recently, but the amount of unnecessary plastics when it comes to packaging is abysmal, notably with grocery/food purchases. I'm trying to bring my own plastic containers for certain things and you get some weird looks from people as well as the "but you'll have to pay more using that container" type of comments. I've responded with I'd rather pay the extra 5¢ than create more garbage. The look on peoples' faces says that makes sense, but it also say they DGAF and couldn't be bothered with dealing of the inconvenience of bringing their own container/bag to the store. To me this represents the type of disconnected thinking we need to break free from if we don't want to eat ourselves out of home.

tech usually needs 40 years to enter markets…

July 26, 2021, 4:23 p.m.

I'm trying to bring my own plastic containers for certain things and you get some weird looks from people as well as the "but you'll have to pay more using that container" type of comments. I've responded with I'd rather pay the extra 5¢ than create more garbage. The look on peoples' faces says that makes sense, but it also say they DGAF and couldn't be bothered with dealing of the inconvenience of bringing their own container/bag to the store. To me this represents the type of disconnected thinking we need to break free from if we don't want to eat ourselves out of home.

Educating our kids that the status quo is not sustainable is a major piece of the puzzle. Well beyond the "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" mantra, because that hasn't been able to keep up.

SAI is not cloud seeding. It involves injecting aerosols in to the stratosphere high above the clouds. You really ought to read a few of the things we post for a change. Below is the video on both things work.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/UCS_Videos/solar-geoengineering-how-it-works.mp4

Anyhoo, I am breaking my new trolling policy here but your questions do look semi serious. Obviously the sun is part of the equation, that is how the greenhouse gases work. This idea (solar geoengineering) has never sat well with me either, but we have fucked up the balance with CO2 and it will only get worse with various feedback loops so the alternative is probably much worse even if we stop spewing CO2 into the air tomorrow. I think we should test these processes and be prepared to use them. It might be what we need to stop the worst of climate change.

Hyperloop will be our Snowpiercer, for those who can't afford a ticket to Mars.

July 28, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

https://theintercept.com/2021/07/23/stuck-in-the-smoke-as-billionaires-blast-off/

"U.S. respondents now rank climate change as their second most important political issue — topped only by health care. Climate even beat out “the economy,” while crime, gun control, abortion, and education all trailed far behind.

This kind of issue ranking is, of course, absurd. The fact that anyone thinks the stability of the planetary systems that support all life can be pried apart from “the economy” or “health” — or much of anything at all — is a symptom of the mechanistic hubris that got us into this mess. If our climate collapses, so does everything else, and that should be the beginning of all discussions on the topic. Still, the poll reflects the reality that something dramatic is changing in public perception: a dropping away of the fantasy of safety in the wealthier parts of the world, as well as the beginnings of cracks in the faith that money and technology will find solutions just in the nick of time."

July 28, 2021, 12:34 p.m.

Shogun seemed to be making a bit of an effort when he first came back which is why I decided to engage with him, but now it seems he's back to his regular programming. I've decided I'm going to go back to just ignoring him despite all the lies he posts, probably best if we all do the same.

And you're doing such a good job of that.

July 28, 2021, 12:34 p.m.

And you're doing such a good job of that.

July 28, 2021, 11:04 p.m.

Title says it all.... https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/07/28/apocalypse/

July 29, 2021, 3:44 p.m.

"

HA! So KenN and his patronizing preaching about Tesla and EV's is all wrong!

Yep.

The sprint to supply automakers with heavy-duty lithium batteries is propelled by climate-conscious countries like the United States that aspire to abandon gas-powered cars and SUVs. They are racing to secure the materials needed to go electric, and the Biden administration is under pressure to fast-track mammoth extraction projects that threaten to unleash their own environmental fallout.

Extraction proposals include vacuuming the ocean floor, disturbing marine ecosystems; and mining Native American ancestral sites and pristine federal lands. Proponents of these proposals argue that China controls most of the market for the raw material refining needed for the batteries, posing economic and security threats. But opponents say the negative environmental impact will be worse than the oil fracking that electric vehicles are projected to replace.

https://scheerpost.com/2021/07/29/natures-own-fuel-could-save-us-from-the-greenhouse-effect-and-electric-grid-failure/

As we search for fuels that won’t contribute to the greenhouse effect and climate change, biofuels are a promising option because the carbon dioxide (CO2) they emit is recycled through the atmosphere. When the plants used to make biofuels grow, they absorb CO2 from the air, and it’s that same CO2 that goes back into the atmosphere when the fuels are burned. In theory, biofuels can be a “carbon neutral” or even “carbon negative” way to power cars, trucks and planes, meaning they take at least as much CO2 out of the atmosphere as they put back in.

A major promise of biofuels is that they can lower overall CO2 emissions without changing a lot of our infrastructure. They can work with existing vehicles, and they can be mass-produced from biomass in the same way as other biotechnology products, like chemicals and pharmaceuticals, which are already made on a large scale.… Most gasoline sold in the U.S. is mixed with 10% ethanol.

Biofuels can be created from any sort of organic commercial waste that is high in carbohydrates, which can be fermented into alcohol locally. Unlike the waste fryer oil and grease used to generate biodiesel, carbohydrates are supplied by plants in abundance. Methanol, the simplest form of alcohol, can be made from any biomass – anything that is or once was a plant (wood chips, agricultural waste of all kinds, animal waste, etc.). In the US, 160 million tons of trash ends up in landfills annually. Estimates are that this landfill waste could be converted to 15-16 million gallons of methanol.

In the third in a series of national assessments calculating the potential supply of biomass in the United States, the US Energy Department concluded in 2016 that the country has the future potential to produce at least one billion dry tons of biomass resources annually without adversely affecting the environment. This amount of biomass could be used to produce enough biofuel, biopower, and will bioproducts to displace approximately 30% of 2005 U.S. petroleum consumption, said the report, without negatively affecting the production of food or other agricultural products.

https://vimeo.com/237643999

Last edited by: tungsten on July 29, 2021, 9:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 30, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

This is an overly rosy view of biofuels.  I find that a lot of writers are looking for a hook and tend to ignore trends in research to have more punch to their articles.  

Extraction proposals include vacuuming the ocean floor, disturbing marine ecosystems; and mining Native American ancestral sites and pristine federal lands. Proponents of these proposals argue that China controls most of the market for the raw material refining needed for the batteries, posing economic and security threats. But opponents say the negative environmental impact will be worse than the oil fracking that electric vehicles are projected to replace.

This was released yesterday, so surely the writer knew the another approach for mining lithium is through geothermal brine which doesn't have a large eco-impact and can be found all over the planet.  I am not saying that is the answer to the problem, but if the writer is leaving out, what else are the not saying.  

On the biofuel side, the idea that they could be carbon neutral is not widely supported.  What about fuel cells?  IMO we do it all and see what comes out on top.  There is no way any of these ideas is worse than pulling carbon stored inside the earth and shooting it into the atmosphere.

Aug. 4, 2021, 5:29 p.m.

Good read on the preponderance of large scale forest fires and what can be done about them. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-chronic-lack-of-fire-in-the-us-is-fueling-megafires-scientists-warn?fbclid=IwAR297okTPHA00hQTVzIx5RW_dSBx3lJj6cMh-2mpbuo0d4n63iWTcRZz7LE

Aug. 5, 2021, 9:34 a.m.

Good read on the preponderance of large scale forest fires and what can be done about them.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-chronic-lack-of-fire-in-the-us-is-fueling-megafires-scientists-warn?fbclid=IwAR297okTPHA00hQTVzIx5RW_dSBx3lJj6cMh-2mpbuo0d4n63iWTcRZz7LE

What is interesting is that none of this is exactly breaking news. I wonder if anyone has put in the time to plan out what it would take to use all of these management techniques across the entire province. With 60 million hectares of forest in the province that would be a massive management task but I have to think it would pay for itself.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Aug. 5, 2021, 9:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 5, 2021, 10:21 a.m.

What is interesting is that none of this is exactly breaking news. I wonder if anyone has put in the time to plan out what it would take to use all of these management techniques across the entire province. With 60 million hectares of forest in the province that would be a massive management task but I have to think it would pay for itself.

At one point some groups of people were doing for free.

Aug. 5, 2021, 2:06 p.m.

At one point some groups of people were doing for free.

LOL.  true, but I think it might be a bit tough today to just let each First Nation do their own thing.

Aug. 9, 2021, 9:46 a.m.

Sooo, the new report came out today from the IPCC. Turns out the deniers were right and it's really nothing to worry about after all. Just sun spots.

I kid of course and the truth is we are headed off a cliff in a car with no breaks into a flame filled pit of doom, except now we know that the cliff is closer than we thought and our tires are already on fire.

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/reports

Last edited by: chupacabra on Aug. 9, 2021, 9:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2021, 10:31 a.m.

"We have all the evidence we need to show we are in a climate crisis," said three-time IPCC co-author Sonia Seneviratne, a climate scientist at ETH Zurich who doubts she will sign up for a fourth report. "Policy makers have enough information. You can ask: Is it a meaningful use of scientists' time, if nothing is being done"

When did an inconvenient truth come out? Damn near 20 years ago and literally the opposite of anything has been done, if anything they've just dumped more tires on the fire. I can't shake the hopelessness that builds every time I read one of these articles.