Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

June 30, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

Squamish smashed the hottest day record by 5 degrees on Monday, from 38 to 43.  Insane.

June 30, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

Welcome to the new norm of 5 years from now. And still nothing will have changed. Enter the mad Max.

The lower mainland hasn't had its usual 3 to 5 week stretch of 35 to 38c weather at the end of July to to mid August in a few years either. That old 38c was not the same as the 39c last Sunday.

June 30, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Work today was an experience. Watching the temporary foreign workers laying tar strips outside and blowtorching them helped with perspective. We had a couple thermometers going and the indoor temp hit 32 at around 1pm when the boss called it and sent us all home early.

I wonder how many have died from this so far?

I've now read its close to five hundred that have passed with including the weekend. The ems systems across the lower mainland were completely overwhelmed.

I'm envious of your boss. I worked just shy of 12 hours on Monday and about 10 yesterday. I brought 9 litres of water with me including my camel back on Monday. I couldn't crush it fast enough.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on June 30, 2021, 5:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated the total
June 30, 2021, 9:13 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlSBse_r2g4

First time I ever had to leave work because of the heat. Usually have a cool breeze coming off the straight but it felt like standing in front of a furnace on Monday.

Last edited by: Madman on June 30, 2021, 9:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 1, 2021, 10:29 a.m.

I'm sure you guys have all seen that Lytton is gone.

Recall 15 years ago they closed all the trails on the Shore because it was so dry.

If this pattern is in fact man made climate change, an event like this will happen in the Metro Vancouver area eventually.

I really hope not.

Last edited by: bux-bux on July 1, 2021, 10:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 1, 2021, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: Stuminator

Lawns were not the intended focus, rather how the average Joe is scolded for not being earth friendly, all the while big corporations & really state rape the natural resources enabled by politicians. Eg; Apparently fracking takes up a lot of water. Apparently Nestle pays extremely little for all the water they want to use somewhere in the Hope area of BC. That reeks of someone being paid off to look the other way.

Welcome to capitalist Canada where our beauracracy just looks nicer than the communist type.

fyp

https://www.creators.com/read/jim-hightower/06/21/who-controls-our-water

Last edited by: tungsten on July 1, 2021, 11:38 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 2, 2021, 10:54 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I'm sure you guys have all seen that Lytton is gone.

Recall 15 years ago they closed all the trails on the Shore because it was so dry.

If this pattern is in fact man made climate change, an event like this will happen in the Metro Vancouver area eventually.

I really hope not.

The fire started in the late afternoon, the evacuation notice was given a few hours later and by morning the town was destroyed.  So sad.  I wonder if it will ever come back.

July 4, 2021, 6:17 p.m.

We had a close call on Thursday night here in Kamloops. Had to evacuate my area, fire was literally across the street and down a block. Scariest thing I've ever been through.

July 4, 2021, 8:41 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

We had a close call on Thursday night here in Kamloops. Had to evacuate my area, fire was literally across the street and down a block. Scariest thing I've ever been through.

Yikes dood that's nuts. Glad it worked out. I have family in Raleigh and they were on Evac alert too.

July 4, 2021, 9:46 p.m.

Yikes dood that's nuts. Glad it worked out. I have family in Raleigh and they were on Evac alert too.

Yeah certainly opened my eyes to the dangers of flash fires though! We back directly onto a forest (Juniper Ridge) so my house is quite vulnerable. Planning a sprinkler system is my top priority

July 9, 2021, 6:10 p.m.

July 10, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

Yeah certainly opened my eyes to the dangers of flash fires though! We back directly onto a forest (Juniper Ridge) so my house is quite vulnerable. Planning a sprinkler system is my top priority

No ideal how practical it might be but perhaps doing some trenching along the "property line" could be beneficial?

July 11, 2021, 10:24 p.m.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/built-to-burn/

Has a few helpful diagrams and is all around interesting.

July 12, 2021, 9:40 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Has anyone seen a proper breakdown on all the human causes?  I wonder how many are just morons (tossing butts out of the window or lighting campfires) vs accidental causes (sparks from the rail lines).  As hot and dry as it gets in the forest there are few things in nature besides lightening that can actually start a fire.   There has to be more we can do.  Can the trains add a watering car that spray the tracks as they cruise along?  Do controlled burns around small towns like Lytton?

July 12, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Can the trains add a watering car that spray the tracks as they cruise along?  

How far do sparks fly? I think you talking about A LOT of water here.

teevee just said they have to slow the fuck down