Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

June 27, 2021, 11:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Stuminator

Lawns were not the intended focus, rather how the average Joe is scolded for not being earth friendly, all the while big corporations & really state rape the natural resources enabled by politicians. Eg; Apparently fracking takes up a lot of water. Apparently Nestle pays extremely little for all the water they want to use somewhere in the Hope area of BC. That reeks of someone being paid off to look the other way.

It's a fools game to point a finger at someone else and say they're doing a really shit job of things so why does it matter if little old me just mucks with one or too small things? Unfortunately with everyone feeling like they are ok to do a little harm, all those little harms add up to hot fucking mess of savagery. Ultimately the end responsibility is with the modern consumer.

It is absolutely correct to finger big ag, extraction industries especially nasty motherfuckers like Nestle they skate all the time while the rest of us are told tighten our belts. Fuck em.

June 28, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Lawns suck and should be relegated to the historical laundry list of shitty ideas that Boomers came up with.

It's actually the wealthy Englishman that are to blame.  Having all that useful soil for growing trimmed grass was something only an aristocrat could do.  It became a symbol of wealth.

June 28, 2021, 11:02 a.m.

With this crazy heat some people won't let it stop the party.  Check out this video from yesterday of a couple heading back down the Squamish Valley FSR after a camping weekend.  This part of the road was flooded when everyone went in before the weekend and they really ought to have known it was only going to get worse.  

https://www.reddit.com/link/o9pajg/video/64dx7mzfl1871/player

June 28, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

So away with toilets - bring back the outhouse!

June 28, 2021, 12:02 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

It is absolutely correct to finger big ag, extraction industries especially nasty motherfuckers like Nestle they skate all the time while the rest of us are told tighten our belts. Fuck em.

That’s true, but not pointing a finger at industry was not what I said.

The argument was why should a homeowner have to let their lawn turn brown when corps are running fast and loose in the quest for profits. My point was that saying if someone else is doing something bad then when should I have to do something good is a poor argument. It was also that the end user - the consumer - has some control over things. It may mean having to suffer a little bit or put some work in, but we can make a difference. 

I know one thing for sure, random ranting on smallish, regional based mountain biking website is not going to produce a lot of change all by itself.

June 28, 2021, 2:36 p.m.

CBC radio told me this morning toxic ozone gasses are seeping out of the pavement. 

Reports of melting/warped vinyl siding on houses in the interior where it's over 40. 

Work today was an experience. Watching the temporary foreign workers laying tar strips outside and blowtorching them helped with perspective. We had a couple thermometers going and the indoor temp hit 32 at around 1pm when the boss called it and sent us all home early. 

I wonder how many have died from this so far?

June 28, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

Highest temp recorded in Vancouver the entire time I was growing up was 31°. I remember baseball practice in Delbrook Park during that record, thought we were going to fucking die. 

It's 42° in Delbrook Park right now.

Just talked to my parents in West Van, thermometer as at 38° (100).

Fraser Valley is currently hotter than Phoenix.

June 28, 2021, 7:07 p.m.

Cold patches on hwy 16 were failing all over the place today. I now have asphalt and coalash all over my truck.

June 28, 2021, 8:11 p.m.

the Smithers brewing company  was closed today ...  WTF ?

fortunately the Bulkley was open

I'm gona ride tomorrow at 6 am

June 29, 2021, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Cold patches on hwy 16 were failing all over the place today. I now have asphalt and coalash all over my truck.

Looks like you posted in the wrong thread:

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/nbr-not-biking-related-9/topic/first-world-problems-6685/?page=1

June 29, 2021, 9:11 p.m.

Welcome to the new norm of 5 years from now. And still nothing will have changed. Enter the mad Max.

June 30, 2021, 1:31 a.m.

The heat wave in BC made it into our local newsfeed....stay safe. 🤙

And yes, Adam West, it might be the norm in a few years, I agree.....and we are back at the question, what can we as individuals do. Is it only up to the people in power, the big players and multinationals?

Last edited by: Mic on June 30, 2021, 1:33 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
June 30, 2021, 1:46 a.m.

Lytton breaks all time Canadian record again at 49.5 degrees.

The Saudis would avoid this place.

June 30, 2021, 6:40 a.m.

Nope.

Driving down the highway yesterday, the tanker in front of me was actually leaving tracks in the asphalt. Thought i was seeing things, but my kid confirmed it. Crazy shit.

June 30, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

Check what was happening to the roads in Portland.