Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

June 24, 2021, 8:46 a.m.

Posted by: switch

After this weekend, will anyone doubt climate change?

For sure some will, but the evidence mounts every year.  Crazy heat waves around the globe.  California burns every year now.  Smoke filled skies for weeks on end in SW BC.  The weather in Kelowna this weekend is supposed to get into the low 40's and they don't exactly have a great record for wildfires when that happens this early.

June 24, 2021, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Seems every time I go somewhere in the lower mainland, another swath of bush has been levelled for an apartment building or mall. One might think; "Oh, it's only a small piece of land, there's lots more around". Well if you take those small-ish pieces, they add up to alot. We belong to the earth, it doesn't belong to us.

Central valley in Cali will soon be a desert. Man, we'll be sorry then that we dumped fill over all that fertile flood plain to put up tilt slab warehouse complexes.

June 24, 2021, 8:15 p.m.

This whole "Be trendy & let your lawn turn brown over the summer" campaign is complete bullshit. These corrupt politicians are saying yes to adding thousands of more people into the townships, cities & municipalities (Through development permits) & the average citizen is the bad guy for watering his lawn? They are the ones who allowed all the extra people into the city, so they are the ones who should find more water.

June 25, 2021, 4:43 a.m.

I’ve said this before and for some it’s really not that popular, but the need to build new reservoirs to store water is something that in my estimation needs to be done. Water will become a very Precious commodity. Fuck oil, we’ll be building pipelines for water.

June 25, 2021, 9:52 a.m.

This whole "Be trendy & let your lawn turn brown over the summer" campaign is complete bullshit. These corrupt politicians are saying yes to adding thousands of more people into the townships, cities & municipalities (Through development permits) & the average citizen is the bad guy for watering his lawn? They are the ones who allowed all the extra people into the city, so they are the ones who should find more water.

Especially in Cali where most of the water from Lake Mead goes to farmers growing Almonds. Almonds grow well in the Valley but take insane amounts of water. Boycott Almonds.

In 2000 Lake Mead was full.

Last edited by: chupacabra on June 25, 2021, 9:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 25, 2021, 10:42 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I’ve said this before and for some it’s really not that popular, but the need to build new reservoirs to store water is something that in my estimation needs to be done. Water will become a very Precious commodity. Fuck oil, we’ll be building pipelines for water.

More than a few people have said WW3 will be fought over water.

June 25, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Maybe a better question is why does anyone need to have a lawn that requires watering in the first place?

June 25, 2021, 11:02 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Maybe a better question is why does anyone need to have a lawn that requires watering in the first place?

Not just "need", but "want".  They are a royal pain in the ass.  Unless you plan on having soccer practices in your front yard they are just an added expense and one more chore on the weekend list.

June 25, 2021, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: syncro

Not just "need", but "want".  They are a royal pain in the ass.  Unless you plan on having soccer practices in your front yard they are just an added expense and one more chore on the weekend list.

An added expense opposed to…

June 25, 2021, 1:33 p.m.

Lawns suck and should be relegated to the historical laundry list of shitty ideas that Boomers came up with.

June 25, 2021, 6:45 p.m.

38 on monday in downtown vancouver? They're kidding right? 

This weather has had me seriously questioning the life choices that led me to have to spend all day doing physical work while wearing a bunch of PPE.

June 25, 2021, 6:48 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Lawns suck and should be relegated to the historical laundry list of shitty ideas that Boomers came up with.

Agreed. Grow grapes or something. Literally anything of value. The way we've been conditioned to cultivate and care for this freeloading useless weed is insane.

June 25, 2021, 7:01 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

This weather has had me seriously questioning the life choices that led me to have to spend all day doing physical work while wearing a bunch of PPE.

No shit

June 25, 2021, 8:25 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Pfffffft... https://gizmodo.com/ground-temperatures-hit-118-degrees-in-the-arctic-circl-1847144505

June 25, 2021, 9:03 p.m.

Fuck lawns I have a front moss and Clover field. And the back yard was nothing but dandelions at one point it was great