Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

Oct. 19, 2020, 1:42 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Good talk guys, good talk.

Is there a booming solar industry in Canada yet? How about tidal or wind? Ya ya, poor fishies and birds but what the eff are we getting other than a carbon tax rebate?

Why would anyone join in when you answered your own question?

When the hell has that ever stopped anyone of you before lol. But I get it, you dont have an actual answer.

Oct. 19, 2020, 6:47 p.m.

...or you’re consistently shitty to people so no one wants to talk to you.

Oct. 20, 2020, 9:28 a.m.

Is there a booming solar industry in Canada yet? How about tidal or wind? Ya ya, poor fishies and birds but what the eff are we getting other than a carbon tax rebate?

When the hell has that ever stopped anyone of you before lol. But I get it, you dont have an actual answer.

The carbon tax in BC is revenue neutral (or at least it is supposed to be, I have never looked into it).  So we don't GET anything for that money, but it has been proven to reduce fuel consumption in the province so it is doing what it was supposed to.  It rewards people that use less fuel.  Any other questions?

Oct. 20, 2020, 11:57 a.m.

The carbon tax in BC is revenue neutral (or at least it is supposed to be, I have never looked into it).  So we don't GET anything for that money, but it has been proven to reduce fuel consumption in the province so it is doing what it was supposed to.  It rewards people that use less fuel.  Any other questions?

Yes. First you missed my point of the tax but you nailed it - we arent getting anything for it. Nothing, nada, zip. No green energy industry, no job creation with billion in dollars of taxes - hell they havent even moved the radiation detectors back to the coast ;)

So, how does the tax credit know how much fuel I use? I dont submit a claim of receipts for fuel consumption. You approve of the idea of a tax that isnt a benefit? You raise the price of anything enough and people will stop buying it or make some changes.

Oct. 20, 2020, 12:24 p.m.

Yes. First you missed my point of the tax but you nailed it - we arent getting anything for it. Nothing, nada, zip. No green energy industry, no job creation with billion in dollars of taxes - hell they havent even moved the radiation detectors back to the coast ;)

So, how does the tax credit know how much fuel I use? I dont submit a claim of receipts for fuel consumption. You approve of the idea of a tax that isnt a benefit? You raise the price of anything enough and people will stop buying it or make some changes.

It doesn't keep track, which is why it works. You are not supposed to get what you personally paid back from the government, you get the average, so if you don't burn any gas you get more back than you paid. If you burn a lot of gas, you pay more than you get back. Your last sentence hits the mark bang on. If gas costs more, people use less.

Now, I am also all for more taxes that go into green tech as well.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Oct. 20, 2020, 12:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 20, 2020, 1:29 p.m.

It doesn't keep track, which is why it works. You are not supposed to get what you personally paid back from the government, you get the average, so if you don't burn any gas you get more back than you paid. If you burn a lot of gas, you pay more than you get back. Your last sentence hits the mark bang on. If gas costs more, people use less.

Now, I am also all for more taxes that go into green tech as well.

I'd take the HST credit if I could.

Oct. 20, 2020, 10:34 p.m.

“The results from this study on large-scale OC remobilization from permafrost are consistent with a growing set of observational records from the Arctic Ocean and provide support for modeling studies that simulated large injections of CO2 into the atmosphere during deglaciation (14–16). This demonstrates that Arctic warming by only a few degrees may suffice to abruptly activate large-scale permafrost thawing, indicating a sensitive trigger for a threshold-like permafrost climate change feedback.”

Oct. 21, 2020, 3:43 a.m.

What is that image?

Oct. 21, 2020, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

What is that image?

Probably a methane pocket blowout.

Oct. 21, 2020, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

What is that image?

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/10/20/large-scale-permafrost-thawing/print/

Oct. 22, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

Thanks!

Oct. 22, 2020, 12:41 p.m.

We need to revive the Wooly Mammoth!

Oct. 22, 2020, 3:49 p.m.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/alarm-as-arctic-sea-ice-not-yet-freezing-at-latest-date-on-record

https://twitter.com/i/status/1319294904816726023

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 22, 2020, 3:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 23, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

https://www.greenpeace.org/japan/nature/press-release/2020/10/23/45775/

Oct. 25, 2020, 5:52 p.m.

Fuckers, eh?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/amy-coney-barrett-climate-journalists-challenge-supreme-court-nomination-1080453/