Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

Dec. 10, 2019, 11:05 p.m.

Beware the "value-action gap."

Dec. 11, 2019, 11:07 p.m.

Dec. 12, 2019, 12:27 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

My sense of humor? I post some hilarious shit when it comes down to it and we cant even joke about those without the majority of you guys questioning my sanity or my intelligence. The majority of shit I post is out there no doubt but realistically you guys need to step out from the confines of your normality and let go. And I've said this before but I'm not going to go crazy on emoticons just so people know I'm joking. Look at my post dude - 200 years old?

One reason I made the bet with Chup last year was so we could crush a beer and he could see this shit eatting grin I live with.

So...did you guys drink that beer? We should all have a beer together one fine day. And do some riding.

Last edited by: Mic on Dec. 12, 2019, 12:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2019, 1:26 p.m.

We didn't, but we should.  And ride, since we all probably still do that.  :)

Dec. 12, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

Eat meat and die!

To help reduce the risk of global temperature rising beyond 1·5°C or 2°C, we call on high-income and middle-income countries to incorporate four measures into their revised commitments to meeting the Paris Agreement, from 2020 onwards. 

First, declare a timeframe for peak livestock—ie, livestock production from each species would not continue to increase from this point forward. 

Second, within the livestock sector, identify the largest emissions sources or the largest land occupiers, or both, and set appropriate reduction targets for production. This process would be repeated sequentially, to set reduction targets for the next largest emitter or land occupier. 

Third, within a reconfiguration of the agriculture sector, apply a best available food strategy to diversify food production by replacing livestock with foods that simultaneously minimise environmental burdens and maximise public health benefits—mainly pulses (including beans, peas, and lentils), grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.5, 8 

Fourth, when grazing land is not required or is unsuitable for horticulture or arable production, adopt a natural climate solutions approach where possible, to repurpose land as a carbon sink by restoring native vegetation cover to its maximum carbon sequestration potential,2 with additional benefits to biodiversity.9

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(19)30245-1/fulltext

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 12, 2019, 1:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2019, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Eat meat and die!

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(19)30245-1/fulltext

See, even when you put up a link to something that is reputable and based on peer-reviewed science, you still put the most extremist slant on it.

I have changed my diet significantly over the last 2 years, to maybe 10-15% as much meat as previously (and I wasn't a huge meatitarian even then).  I think if the majority of western civilization did the same or similar, we'd see some real change in the environmental and social impacts of large scale livestock production.  I find the all or nothing thinking to be dishonest on both sides of the argument.

Dec. 12, 2019, 4:24 p.m.

I love meat, but I think they should use the same approach as they do with the carbon tax.  It is the easiest way to actually achieve targets and requires the least amount of enforcement.  Make the meat cost more and people will eat less.  I am also open to lab-grown meat, and it is just a matter of getting costs down to make it mainstream.  Bugs, I will eat them too.

Posted by: KenN

I find the all or nothing thinking to be dishonest on both sides of the argument.

I think a lot more people are open to the idea of a diet with less meat than would ever consider a plant-based diet.  

Now... who is ready to give up air travel??

Dec. 12, 2019, 4:39 p.m.

pretty much every equipment dealer is selling machines or deleting all the emissions components off new equipment that's supposed to comply with the new emissions regulations.. we're pretty much fucked as a planet I'd say..

Dec. 12, 2019, 4:48 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

See, even when you put up a link to something that is reputable and based on peer-reviewed science, you still put the most extremist slant on it.

tungsten, pay attention to that. That is exactly why people tend to give you short shrift with your posts. It's also why you, and people with the same attitude, are as much of a danger to progressive ideals as those on the far right. That type of chest thumbing and rabble rousing turns a lot of people off and it gives those with opposing views ammunition to disregard or discredit what you're saying. Like I said in the other thread, it's time you smarten the fuck up. Fight the same good fight, just don't be such an obnoxious boor when you do it.

Dec. 12, 2019, 4:49 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Now... who is ready to give up air travel??

it's pretty fucking ironic to see how many people preach environmental responsibility yet also claim to be big fans of travel and constantly post pics of their trips all over the globe.

Dec. 12, 2019, 4:54 p.m.

Make the meat cost more and people will eat less. 

Class based solution. The rich will continue their gluttony. The poor, not so much.

Dec. 12, 2019, 5:54 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=chp3rtJLJtk&feature=emb_logo

so, what's the trick to getting these to post as vid and not link?

This will tie in well: You guys remember the push behind banning plastic straws? The turtles full of plastic's ?

Well lots of straws biodegrade.. but wont those small fibre's eventually suffocate the plankton that provides us with oxygen?

Out of the frying pan...

Dec. 12, 2019, 5:55 p.m.

Make the meat cost more and people will eat less. 

Class based solution. The rich will continue their gluttony. The poor, not so much.

It's already going to happen. Meat in particular will see a large rise. At least it should.

Dec. 12, 2019, 6 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=chp3rtJLJtk&feature=emb_logo

so, what's the trick to getting these to post as vid and not link?

This will tie in well: You guys remember the push behind banning plastic straws? The turtles full of plastic's ?

Well lots of straws biodegrade.. but wont those small fibre's eventually suffocate the plankton that provides us with oxygen?

Out of the frying pan...

Sure, but the straw I throw away ends up in a landfill and not the ocean.. not really doing a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, yet I can still see straws as the useless excess and waste that they are.. yet, I still miss them when places dont give me one.

Dec. 12, 2019, 6:58 p.m.

I had to switch to paper straws...

...now my customers ask for their drinks without straws because paper straws suck. Win-win.