Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

July 12, 2019, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yeah I believe that humans will go extinct. Virtually every other organism does, and I’ve seen nothing to indicate that we’re special. Our ability to co-operate is exceptional but unbelievable that it’s not useful on the scale we need it to be to “save the planet” (ourselves).

I’ll focus on my immediate surroundings because that’s what I can have an effect upon. Individuals can do virtually nothing to effect change on the scale that you’re describing.  Life is already heaven/hell, depending on how you live. Climate change won’t change that. Us rich folk will be good for a while.

People will survive this.  We have people living in space so I am pretty sure we can survive the worst of climate change, but a lot will die on the way there.  The number of survivors comes down to how bad it will get, which is still quite variable.

July 12, 2019, 9:24 a.m.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy

anyone read that paper?

https://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

July 12, 2019, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy

anyone read that paper?

https://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

No, but I am sure I can imagine what the worst would look like which is why we are all here panicking.  I did read that some people are saying that Vice embellished a paper that wasn't peer-reviewed, so it should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but I don't want to go to therapy.  Maybe the aliens will sort this out for us.

July 12, 2019, 9:16 p.m.

“Based on current trends, the most food-secure populations by the second half of the 21st century will be those populations that have deliberately chosen and planned to re-localize as much of their own food systems as possible.”

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-07-12/sleepwalking-into-certain-catastrophe-or-awakening-via-agroecology/

July 12, 2019, 9:18 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

.  The number of survivors comes down to whether or not they control the drones.

fyp

July 12, 2019, 10:26 p.m.

People will survive this.  We have people living in space so I am pretty sure we can survive the worst of climate change, but a lot will die on the way there.  The number of survivors comes down to how bad it will get, which is still quite variable.

Did I just read, "we have people living in space"?

Chup, I've said some pretty fucking stupid things here when I was drunk.  Can you confirm you were drunk when you said this?

July 13, 2019, 6:44 a.m.

One would assume he’s referring to the ISS.

July 13, 2019, 7:27 a.m.

I thought he was referring to Shogun.

July 13, 2019, 9:11 a.m.

as long as they are not self sufficient up there i would not call that "living in space"

July 13, 2019, 9:43 a.m.

as long as they are not self sufficient up there i would not call that "living in space"

Chups statement, not mine.

July 13, 2019, 7:54 p.m.

Yeah I believe that humans will go extinct. Virtually every other organism does, and I’ve seen nothing to indicate that we’re special. Our ability to co-operate is exceptional but unbelievable that it’s not useful on the scale we need it to be to “save the planet” (ourselves).

I’ll focus on my immediate surroundings because that’s what I can have an effect upon. Individuals can do virtually nothing to effect change on the scale that you’re describing. Life is already heaven/hell, depending on how you live. Climate change won’t change that. Us rich folk will be good for a while.

People will survive this. We have people living in space so I am pretty sure we can survive the worst of climate change, but a lot will die on the way there. The number of survivors comes down to how bad it will get, which is still quite variable.

I don't think we'll go extinct either, but I tend to think that a lot of vulnerable people in Africa, Central and South America, and Asia - basically those near the equator - are going to die when food and water become scarce. Places in more northern and southern climes will fair better, but their lifestyles will suffer too. BC will probably do fairly well, but how will we fend off the hoards of people that may try moving here? Our military will be useless against mass migration.

We're starting to hear more and more about the connections between all aspects of life and changes that are happening to what were once robust species/populations. I'm starting to worry more about the cascade effect, that when we hit that tipping point things go to shit in a hurry because everything collapses all at once. Even with that though, there will be humans who survive, and not all of them will be moneyed or elite type people. I think a lot of those people will get run the fuck over in the stampede for the exits, but I'm sure there will be some who have small private armies and a protective compound to keep them going. Going for what tho will be interesting if most manufacturing and industry has collapsed along with the energy sector and agriculture.

Darwin round 2 here we come!

Last edited by: syncro on July 13, 2019, 7:55 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 13, 2019, 11:48 p.m.

^^^

July 14, 2019, 2:49 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

“Based on current trends, the most food-secure populations by the second half of the 21st century will be those populations that have deliberately chosen and planned to re-localize as much of their own food systems as possible.”

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-07-12/sleepwalking-into-certain-catastrophe-or-awakening-via-agroecology/

Didnt I mention Aqua and Aero ponics on pg3 or 4?

July 15, 2019, 12:10 a.m.

“People are bathing in public fountains, and a man in Germany is said to have run naked through a supermarket freezer aisle.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07/12/skull-of-death-mass-media-inauthentic-opposition-and-eco-existential-reality-in-a-pre-fascist-age-of-appeasement-2/

Last edited by: tungsten on July 15, 2019, 12:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2019, 12:12 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

but how will we fend off the hoards of people that may try moving here? Our military will be useless against mass migration.

Imbecile! Build a wall! Jeez........