Climate Change - so I'm starting to panic a bit

May 20, 2019, 10:49 p.m.

Lately I've been listening to CBC Radio 1 a lot, in fact it's what I've been playing on my reno jobs. In the past few weeks there have been a bunch of climate change related programs. Just the other day there was a news story about Red Cedar die-offs here in BC and tonight there was a cool show about Canopy Science - the science of tree canopies, particularly in the tropical rain forests. All of this got me thinking about how so many issues are inter-related when it comes to climate change and the idea of the cascade effect and the tipping point. In short I think we're already fucked even though we may have not hit the proverbial tipping point yet. The reason being is that the amount of change in our lifestyles we humans would have to achieve on a global scale in order to steer us away from the tipping point or cascade effect is simply not possible anymore. We're just too fucking greedy and stupid to be able to do it. There was a show a couple nights ago that touched on this in terms of what's needed. You and I doing are good deeds in out little lives is essentially pointless and meaningless when it comes to affecting climate change. While reducing our carbon footprint on a global scale, a few people here and there makes about as much difference as pouring a cup of fresh water into English Bay would have on affecting the salinity of the oceans.

I'm old enough that I will probably be dead or very close to it when the shitstorm begins. I don't have any kids to worry about, but I do have a couple of young nieces and I wonder what their future is going to be like. When I hear some of this news I want to hang my head in shame, at what mainly Western Society has done in terms of pillaging and destroying heaven, the place we happen to live which is more commonly called earth. There's even been a few occasions where I actually break down and weep a little at just how destructive we've been and that unless there is MASSIVE change withing a few years, the party is all but over. It makes me think about what it will actually take for governments across the globe to take this shit super seriously. It's mind boggling that we can't seem to get our collective shit together enough so that we have a habitable place to live.

link to cedar die off
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/western-red-cedars-death-dry-climate-change-1.5134262

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on May 20, 2019, 10:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 21, 2019, 7:24 a.m.

Here on the mid island all the Salal is dying off as well. the thought is we had a month of sub zero temps that could have messed with their roots.. definitely and uneasy feeling seeing all the vegetation dying off like this, highly alarming for the state of this summers fire season as well that's a lot of dry tinder ready to go up in flames. then you have the massive amounts of clear cuts which are always 15 degrees hotter than the forest canopy so you have all these micro hot spots everywhere.. we're definitely fucked.

I've heard that we're supposed to have California type weather up in these parts.. which is all jolly good if it would have taken us thousands of years to get there, but we seem to be doing it in 20. I get wierded out thinking about the whole run up of evolution has brought us to this pinnacle and we're here to witness the beginning of the end.

I'm with you in thinking this can't be stopped. people are to stupid and to selfish (myself included I sure has shit haven't done anything to help the situation, but even if I did would it really have helped?)

May 21, 2019, 8:47 a.m.

Yup the salal dying was another thing I’d heard. I think that it’s possible we can turn things around in time, but I don’t think we’re willing to accept the economic and lifestyle consequences. 

For instance one of the things that came up was air travel and the amount of pollution it creates.  Basically all unnecessary air travel needs to stop, like now.  So no more vacations to drive off places, no more business meetings and even a cut in delivery of goods. The level of change that needs to happen is staggering. 

Morbid curiosity makes me interested in being around to see the collapse of modern humanity and what will come out on the other side of that.

May 21, 2019, 9:55 a.m.

As a father of a 6-year-old it weighs on my mind pretty heavily and like you say, our personal choices won't affect a goddamn thing at this point. I have always thought this needs to be a political fight and it seems like that tide is turning, but even with a herculean effort of the world's governments, we are about to witness something awful. I am willing to give up air travel. I hate flying.

I try to remain hopeful that we will see changes in the short term, mainly because the effects are real and global, so they can't be ignored anymore. The fear that you and I experience has the power to generate immediate action and unlike the fear that starts wars, this one will unite us. Those targets we aim for now seem impossible after watching the tepid responses over the last couple of decades, but when the damage is inescapable people will demand action now and be willing to sacrifice as we do in times of war.

Last edited by: chupacabra on May 21, 2019, 9:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 21, 2019, 10:12 a.m.

It worries me too, I have two young kids. I try and do my bit and also continually try to educate my kids.

I hope is the research is off. Scientists have warned about issues that haven't come to pass as yet.

I'm also hopeful that humans can turn this around. In South Africa Cape Town they were close to running out of water a few years back, they had like a 30 day limit for the city. The whole population of the city helped to extend this to 45 days in a matter of days and then eventually the risk dropped enough that the water limit was removed. Then the rains came and the city hasn't seen a problem with water shortage since.

Perhaps if the shit finally hits the fan everyone can pull together and turn things around. But what will that tipping point be?

May 21, 2019, 10:31 a.m.

I guess we should all eat seasonal foods. Not demand fresh produce flown in from around the globe.

As long as there are fights at the local Walmart over the latest mass produced plastic doll, I don't think there's a lot of hope. People have to watch how much they consume.

If we each did our little part, it could not hurt, but it may not repair all the damage. 

In the end, it's all about money. (and greed)

May 21, 2019, 10:42 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

that's a lot of dry tinder ready to go up in flames

time to rake those forest floors. chop chop

May 21, 2019, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran
I hope is the research is off.

shell already knew in 1982 that the co2 level in 2019 will rise to 415 ppm...

May 21, 2019, 10:52 a.m.

I hope is the research is off. Scientists have warned about issues that haven't come to pass as yet.

That's the trouble too though. The research always presents the most conservative estimates because they're fucking scientists, and then when the prediction comes true 10 fold it catches us all flat footed.

Not to mention the exponential number of unpredicted effects.

Fortunately, like you said, some predictions have only been shots across the bow.

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 21, 2019, 10:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 21, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

Trying to reduce my family's waste and carbon footprint as much as possible. Have to say the amount of plastic waste we produce is insane.....I'm glad it's all on the table now, but  It's so disheartening to see when steps are taken for a more environmentally conscious reason some self centered group tries to sue or stop it. Like the plastic bag assn trying to sue Victoria or anti wind farm coalitions suing due to its an eyesore.

May 21, 2019, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I'm old enough that I will probably be dead or very close to it when the shitstorm begins.

I predict the food riots start in just 4-5 yrs.

Remember how wet weather/early freeze rotted all the Cdn potato crops last year?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/20/crop-failure-and-bankruptcy-threaten-farmers-as-drought-grips-europe

Morbid curiosity makes me interested in being around to see the collapse of modern humanity and what will come out on the other side of that.

Then you would be with this Guy.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIt93dDG1M

What Stu said.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDtEeT52gE

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1130348713770127361

Last edited by: tungsten on May 21, 2019, 2:44 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
May 21, 2019, 3:57 p.m.

. But what will that tipping point be?

Extinction

Will humans be extinct by 2026?

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: tungsten on May 21, 2019, 3:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 21, 2019, 5:07 p.m.

You better turn off your computer and save some co2 emissions.

May 21, 2019, 5:23 p.m.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/18/climate-crisis-heat-is-on-global-heating-four-degrees-2100-change-way-we-live

May 21, 2019, 5:47 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Then you would be with this Guy....

10 year huh? 

suddenly my plan of a blowout weekend of hookers and blow in vegas seems like a really good idea.