Clavicle Malunion - Help

Sept. 20, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has broken their clavicle, not had surgery and ended up with a malunion.

I broke mine nearly 3 weeks ago on the medial third (the bit closest to your sternum) and todays x-ray shows it's joined but it's wonky.

Basically, I want to know real intel on how many (if any) issues people have had with the bone not lining up properly (ie shoulder movement etc) I see my doc and surgeon next week and I want to know the potential effects of leaving the bone as is vs surgery from people who do the same activity as me, vs people in white coats.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Sept. 20, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has broken their clavicle, not had surgery and ended up with a malunion.

I broke mine nearly 3 weeks ago on the medial third (the bit closest to your sternum) and todays x-ray shows it's joined but it's wonky.

Basically, I want to know real intel on how many (if any) issues people have had with the bone not lining up properly (ie shoulder movement etc) I see my doc and surgeon next week and I want to know the potential effects of leaving the bone as is vs surgery from people who do the same activity as me, vs people in white coats.

I broke mine last summer right in the middle, and it was quite overlapped. After discussing it with the surgeon, there were more positives than negatives to getting it fixed surgically. I actually had my surgery done the day after I broke it!
I now have a metal plate and screws in there, but my shoulder alignment is perfect. I was scared that leaving it to heal would effect me later in life in terms of misalignment, carrying a pack etc…
The only real negatives I can comment on is having to undergo surgery (which always has risks) and the fact I had a frozen shoulder when I was all done (which could have happened with or without surgery).
If I had to do it again, Id do the surgery no question. I have never heard complaints from people who have had it done, but often hear complaints from those that let it heal on its own.
My doc worked out of Lions Gate, and seemed to know his stuff when it came to collarbones. I can forward you his name if you are interested.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sept. 20, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

Thanks for the info, I am sort of frustrated because everyone (doctors [HTML_REMOVED] Surgeon) told me that it would line up and heal fine, and it hasn't, so I sort of feel like I've just wasted the last 3 weeks.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Sept. 20, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

Thanks for the info, I am sort of frustrated because everyone (doctors [HTML_REMOVED] Surgeon) told me that it would line up and heal fine, and it hasn't, so I sort of feel like I've just wasted the last 3 weeks.

Im not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but I am not sure how you can guess if something will line up 'fine' based on the x-ray. Im sure it was their best guess, but unless you go in there and pin it down, there is no way of ensuring it will line up properly, there are just too many variables.

Sept. 20, 2013, 3:08 p.m.

I had no chioce with mine and had to have surgery. It was just over two years ago and I have full movement and little pain. There is a lot of metal in there so it gets a bit achy and sometimes when I carry a pack there is a bit of pain.

Overall though I am really happy with how it has come out.

Sept. 20, 2013, 5:57 p.m.

Didnt have a malunion but a non union.. for 5 months then i had surgery to fix it. now both my shoulders crack pop grind and do all sorts of shit they never used to to.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 20, 2013, 7:45 p.m.

I e-mailed my friend who had a really fast recovery from his broken collarbone, here's what he said:

"Surgery went well for me. It hurt alot for me the first day after surgery- then settled down pretty quick. I obeyed docs orders for first two weeks and didn't shower or do much of anything. I still tried to eat healthy - lots of pineapple and milk. After that I started moving around and doing range of motion exercises with no weights. Week 3.5 I rode my xc bike and 4.5 I was Downhilling. Keep in mind though everyone's body is different. I healed really fast and took a bit of risk and it payed off.

I know another guy who got surgery and it got mass infected, he's still not healed one bit 4 weeks later and has bad complications.

I did alot of research and the outcomes do seem better in general with surgery. From my experience I'd recommend it if its covered under health care for sure. Heals faster and joint is stable sooner. I do have a numb patch of skin below incision but it dosent bug me."

TL;DR: have the surgery.

Sept. 20, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

Broke mine in the middle,left side, fifteen years ago. Went to Lions Gate, had X-rays, got belted down and sent home. No mention of surgery. Two weeks later, went to go see my family doctor cause it was hurtin bad. He tightened up the belt(instant relief) and sent me home. Six weeks later I was healed up and good to go. Today, I have a big calcium ball in the middle of my clavicle and my left shoulder is noticeably not aligned. I've had little pain and it has not hindered me in any way in any activity I do. I ride Fromme two to three times a week(on average), ride bmx and just started moto this year.

The injury sucks, there is no doubt about that. Patience grasshopper, patience. You'll heal up fine, just give it time.

Sept. 20, 2013, 11 p.m.

Broke mine in the middle,left side, fifteen years ago. Went to Lions Gate, had X-rays, got belted down and sent home. No mention of surgery. Two weeks later, went to go see my family doctor cause it was hurtin bad. He tightened up the belt(instant relief) and sent me home. Six weeks later I was healed up and good to go. Today, I have a big calcium ball in the middle of my clavicle and my left shoulder is noticeably not aligned. I've had little pain and it has not hindered me in any way in any activity I do. I ride Fromme two to three times a week(on average), ride bmx and just started moto this year.

The injury sucks, there is no doubt about that. Patience grasshopper, patience. You'll heal up fine, just give it time.

Surgery wasn't a common option for broken collar bones 15 years ago. It is now. As I said before, the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin to get the surgery done in my opinion.

Sept. 20, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

I broke my left one about 20 years ago when a van fell off the stands and crushed my shoulder. The hospital would not operate and after 3 months the gap was still big enough to get my fingers between. When it finally healed it is 2 inch shorter and 1 inch lower than my other.
3 years ago I broke my left one falling off my downhill bike, it broke in 3 places but has set almost straight.

I have a bit of aching after being in the gym etc but apart from that no problems apart from looking strange when on the beech!!!!

Heal up soon but as soon as you can work on movement as this will be a big help long term.

Sept. 21, 2013, 9:47 a.m.

Right clavicle has been broke 3x at ages 7, 13 and 15. All they have ever done is put me in the harness and let it heal over 6 weeks. Some 16 years later and the bone has noticeable calcium bumps and alignment issues but I have complete range of motion and zero pain.

If your not convinced get a second opinion. Dr. Kathy Z @ Northlands is heavy in the bike scene, a sports medicine doctor and expert in all things bike/ski/mountain injury specific.

My opinion, talk to her.

Sept. 21, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

I've broken both, and both are misaligned due to my impatience to let them heal properly. The first was 15 years ago and has given me no problems. The second was 9 or 10 years ago and again, no problems. I'm young though, so the healing process might have been more favourable than if I was older.

Sept. 21, 2013, 8:04 p.m.

Broke mine getting highsided on my ZX1000R along with a 20+ minute knock out.

The clavicle was completely snapped and tenting. After they sorted everything else out, there tried to work it back into relative position and left it at that. I still have a prevalent "nub" sticking out of my skin and this is about 6 years later - however - FWIW, it's lessening in severity as predicted.

The docs and surgeons said it'll mend stronger and thicker overtime there than on an unbroken bone; however the break will always be visually apparent. Although I have a slight imbalance now looking at my body from a strict meridian alignment perspective, it's done me no harm. Hurt like a bugger for quite some time, after that, the pain went away. I'm active, at the gym 6 days a week pushing a lot of weight, no issues. Surfing, biking, golfing (the rare times I do), weightlifting, everyday stuff, vigorous double hand masturbation…. It's gold.

You'll be fine. Just let it HEAL before doing stoopid shit.

Le Dirty

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 21, 2013, 9:08 p.m.

How old are you? That will play a part. I broke my right clavicle at 13, it lined up wonky and formed a large lump of bone. Over the course of the next year or so the lump eroded and the bone was left in new condition.

I did my left clavicle at around 33. It was a crack really, non-displaced etc. It gave me some problems. I think the bone 'healed' quicker, but mobility and stiffness were an issue for quite awhile.

Sept. 22, 2013, 10:24 a.m.

I had a non-union about 7 years ago. Took 6 months (at that time, in BC) to get it repaired. Needed proof of non-union through CT scan, etc. to get them to go to the surgical option.

They were going to do an ileal bone graft, with a plate. By the time I got the surgery however (after long wait), the bone had actually started to heal. It was healing at a 40 degree angle, so in the surgery all they did was smooth out the top and keep it from poking me.

The full non-union surgery is apparently very unpleasant. The grafting from the iliac crest is quite painful.

Best of luck

the teh