City of Burnaby Files Civil Claim against Kinder Morgan in Supreme Court (Merged)

Sept. 18, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Kinder Morgan rang my wifes land line this afternoon. Inviting her to participate in a town-hall phone clusterfuck. Lucky they didn't phone my cell.

Hows about you?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 19, 2014, 6:23 a.m.

Kinder Morgan rang my wifes land line this afternoon. Inviting her to participate in a town-hall phone clusterfuck. Lucky they didn't phone my cell.

Hows about you?

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/kinder-morgan-president-take-your-phone-calls-about-pipeline

You have to get through a "moderator" first.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:48 p.m.

Chevron Canada, Shell Canada, ConocoPhillips Canada, I'd say Apache but they just bowed out, CNRL, etc.

Not only that, many Canadian companies are feeling MAJOR fringe benefits from the extraction. Drilling contractors are currently supplying in the neighborhood of 1000 jobs drilling those wells only, several hundred of which will be sustained servicing the wells over their lifespan and thousands more will be created to work the flow of the gas. Thousands of temporary jobs have been created through pipeline infrastructure work already in construction stage between various facilities. Hundreds of jobs have been created in the portable housing industry. Restaurants, hotels, local businesses and national corporations have all reaped benefits of a very minor start up.

Every operator is giving contractual priority to local companies, expenses be damned.

The number I have always heard for mining, and I'm sure it is similar for oil / gas, is that for each person directly employed, about 6 spin-off jobs are created.

Then again, since most people in Vancouver don't understand that their city exists as a port to ship resources to the world, good luck convincing them that it actually takes people working on our end of it to get those resources out of the ground.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

Yeah, like i mean clear cuts are gross.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 19, 2014, 9:09 p.m.

The number I have always heard for mining, and I'm sure it is similar for oil / gas, is that for each person directly employed, about 6 spin-off jobs are created.

Then again, since most people in Vancouver don't understand that their city exists as a port to ship resources to the world, good luck convincing them that it actually takes people working on our end of it to get those resources out of the ground.

what say you to this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/10/dutch-disease-canada_n_5798954.html

Sept. 19, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

what say you to this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/10/dutch-disease-canada_n_5798954.html

First, Huffington Post is about the last place I would go for financial news.

Second, BoA should not be lecturing anyone on how to run an economy. Last I checked they were a major player behind the recession.

As for the substance of the article, how does that compare to both US and European manufacturing over the same period? Are Canada's losses in manufacturing any different than the rest of the western world?

If our dollar really is tied to oil prices, isn't it a good thing that we have a portion of our economy that does better when oil prices are low, and another that surges when prices are high? Helps us get through the price cycles we all know will happen. Sounds like smart business, not a disease.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

Sept. 19, 2014, 10 p.m.

First, Huffington Post is about the last place I would go for financial news.

Second, BoA should not be lecturing anyone on how to run an economy. Last I checked they were a major player behind the recession.

As for the substance of the article, how does that compare to both US and European manufacturing over the same period? Are Canada's losses in manufacturing any different than the rest of the western world?

If our dollar really is tied to oil prices, isn't it a good thing that we have a portion of our economy that does better when oil prices are low, and another that surges when prices are high? Helps us get through the price cycles we all know will happen. Sounds like smart business, not a disease.

I stand corrected.

Sept. 20, 2014, 12:58 a.m.

what say you to this?

Be you angels?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 20, 2014, 1:06 a.m.

I'll bite: what are these portions/sectors that do good and bad in those situations ?

Smart business would be going from a net exporter to net producer. You're also aware of Oil speculation. As for what in bold in the quote, do you mean our dollar or our economy?

Sept. 20, 2014, 3:16 a.m.

I'll bite: what are these portions/sectors that do good and bad in those situations ?

Smart business would be going from a net exporter to net producer. You're also aware of Oil speculation. As for what in bold in the quote, do you mean our dollar or our economy?

Read the article.

Sept. 21, 2014, 2:40 a.m.

Read the article.

Kaspersky says its a phisher (antivirus prog, could force it but..)

Sept. 21, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

The article claims that resource extraction, oil in particular l, has caused the so called 'Dutch disease' in Canada. Their idea is that Canada now has a petrodollar, and the high value of the loonie caused by oil profits has hurt manufacturing back east.

Sept. 22, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

How about lumber/beef/pork production in addition to manufacturing ?

If the dutch disease is a real thing by what means did the Norwegians get around it, or did they ?

Sept. 22, 2014, 8:03 p.m.

How about lumber/beef/pork production in addition to manufacturing ?

If the dutch disease is a real thing by what means did the Norwegians get around it, or did they ?

Norwegians don't piss away their oil profits on baubles or bribe their own citizens with it. They have a trillion dollars socked away for a rainy day. They continue to impose high taxes because they, unlike most other countries, know that a fool and his money are soon parted. Also their electrical grid is 96% powered by renewable energy.

Sept. 22, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

Norwegians don't piss away their oil profits on baubles or bribe their own citizens with it. They have a trillion dollars socked away for a rainy day. They continue to impose high taxes because they, unlike most other countries, know that a fool and his money are soon parted. Also their electrical grid is 96% powered by renewable energy.

I think it'd be smarter if we privatized our health care. Shouldn't be too long now.