City Buys Arbutus Rail Corridor

March 7, 2016, 11:06 p.m.

Vancouver finally made a deal.

http://www.straight.com/news/652901/city-buys-arbutus-corridor-cp-rail-plans-develop-transportation-greenway

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 8, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

Wow. $55 million is a steal. That's like the cost of 10 Kerrisdale homes. Maybe Gregor isn't as dumb as he acts.

March 8, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

Great news. This a a great asset to the city! Imagine a paved bike path running from Arthur Liang to Kits!

March 8, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

That's 30 yrs too late to do me any good. Rather see grade level rail. That'll fix their sorry highfalutin' asses. Highway of crime right through their hot spot. Ha!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 8, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

There is no way trains of any kind will run through that corridor again. Residents wont allow it.

I suspect any form of development would be difficult, partly due to the narrow width of the space, and partly due to resistance from wealthy residents.

Bike route/green space is the best possible use for that land. I only hope that it in some way honors the historical use of the land so that future generations appreciate why it's there, what it was used for, and how the railroad was vital to the development of Vancouver. It would be a shame to see prevail the usual Vancouver M.O. of tearing down anything remotely historical in favor of concrete and glass.

March 8, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

There is no way trains of any kind will run through that corridor again. Residents wont allow it..

Screw the [sarcasm]residents[/sarcasm]. The wealthy demographic there is changing to peeps less likely to care. Just wait until the Kerrisdale is nothin' but unoccupied foreign owned mansions then build it.
Chaps my ass that CP and didn't get a chance to run trains and see if revival of some (light) industrial activity at the north and south ends of the corridor actually occurred.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 8, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

Chaps my ass that CP and didn't get a chance to run trains and see if revival of some (light) industrial activity at the north and south ends of the corridor actually occurred.

Despite what they state publicly, CP never had any intention of running trains along there. The expense of making the tracks even usable,, let alone bringing them up to code, even for use as storage, would be huge.

March 8, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

If they do what Richmond did with railway ave it will be nice

March 8, 2016, 5:39 p.m.

Finally a place for the homeless freaks to camp. Took long enough.

Thread killer

March 8, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

ha yeah let's ghettoize those prigs!

March 9, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

There is no way trains of any kind will run through that corridor again. Residents wont allow it.

Also how many problems all those street crossings will cause.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 9, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

I suspect any form of development would be difficult, partly due to the narrow width of the space, and partly due to resistance from wealthy residents.

Bike route/green space is the best possible use for that land. I only hope that it in some way honors the historical use of the land so that future generations appreciate why it's there, what it was used for, and how the railroad was vital to the development of Vancouver. It would be a shame to see prevail the usual Vancouver M.O. of tearing down anything remotely historical in favor of concrete and glass.

The residents of old have moved on, replaced. Half of the house's near that track, are part time homes, most would be sold and demo'd with the up tic in housing density. Just like Cambie street.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 9, 2016, 1:10 p.m.

ha yeah let's ghettoize those prigs!

Yeah! Stick it to those community garden-loving hippie-millionaire peasants! Lets see what their green thumbs can grow on a ribbon of asphalt!

March 9, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

You mean the self described "cream-de-la-cream"?

I thought it funny how they howled with indignation after being turfed from private property they'd poached. Poetic justice it was.

March 9, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

Greenways for the West side. Refugee centers and homeless shelters for the East side.