China Syndrome

June 20, 2019, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Tl:dr until Chinise state run media starts telling the true story of what happened on June 4th 1989 I'm not gonna automatically believe anything they say about China ever.

I agree!

June 20, 2019, 7:20 p.m.

Hey I don't remember claiming the CCP was better than ours or our besties to the south. Just not that much worse

June 20, 2019, 9:54 p.m.

Hey I don't remember claiming the CCP was better than ours or our besties to the south. Just not that much worse

However, you are claiming to know the truth.

June 21, 2019, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Pretty sad that those living in Hong Kong can't see the benevolent overtures of what a Chinese rule can give us, amirite FO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/c1ebd0/timelapse_of_a_2_million_marchers_in_a_city_with/

Notice how not only is Beijing not slaughtering anyone but they are also conceding to the demands? How does that fit into your brutal CCP narrative?

Bad optics. Xi may be a ruthless dictator, but one has to give him credit for playing the long game. He will have his facial rec teams pouring over the photos for years, trying to identify and tag them all. And when the state finally decides to come for them, their lives are over.

That is the fundamental difference between your beloved CCP and western nations. We have spent centuries building reasonably effective institutions that protect us from the state. The vast majority of our legal infrastructure isn't about 'catching bad guys' ... it's about making it difficult for the state to BE the bad guy! Yeah, it's not perfect (particularly when you are poor), and it is regularly abused by bad actors (particularly when you are wealthy), but it is still a lot better than a totalitarian, authoritarian state where the individual has no rights.

Canada's non-corrupt, independent judicial system is the reason why a whopping 300,000+ out of 7,400,000 Hong Kong'ers keep legal Canadian residency status in their back pocket. They know that the CCP massacred 10,000 innocent protestors in Tiananmen Square, and they will do it again. The CCP will stop at nothing to prevent societal 'turbulence'. Nobody who has tasted freedom wants any part of the CCP and your dear leader. All of the countries in the world where everyone actually wants to live are those with the best rankings in worldwide corruption indexes: Denmark, Switzerland, New Zealand etc.

Step back and think how beautiful a thing it is when courts throw out laws and rulings made by the current governing party. I often think that protecting innocent individuals from the state is the greatest achievement of western civilization ... after the dropper post.

Last edited by: TooSteep on June 21, 2019, 3:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2019, 8:51 p.m.

The mountains are high and the emperor is far away. 

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/06/21/hong-kong-is-far-from-chinas-biggest-problem/

Last edited by: tungsten on June 23, 2019, 8:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2019, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/06/21/hong-kong-is-far-from-chinas-biggest-problem/

Interesting post.

July 2, 2019, 6:57 p.m.

FO, would love to hear the corporate spin on this one..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/02/chinese-border-guards-surveillance-app-tourists-phones

July 3, 2019, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Facts.

July 3, 2019, 4:54 p.m.

I'm claiming that in some areas regarding China I know more than you. To know the truth about China as an outsider is impossible.

July 3, 2019, 4:56 p.m.

FO, would love to hear the corporate spin on this one..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/02/chinese-border-guards-surveillance-app-tourists-phones

I assume that's happening here too.

July 3, 2019, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: TooSteep

Pretty sad that those living in Hong Kong can't see the benevolent overtures of what a Chinese rule can give us, amirite FO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/c1ebd0/timelapse_of_a_2_million_marchers_in_a_city_with/

Notice how not only is Beijing not slaughtering anyone but they are also conceding to the demands? How does that fit into your brutal CCP narrative?

Bad optics. Xi may be a ruthless dictator, but one has to give him credit for playing the long game. He will have his facial rec teams pouring over the photos for years, trying to identify and tag them all. And when the state finally decides to come for them, their lives are over.

That is the fundamental difference between your beloved CCP and western nations. We have spent centuries building reasonably effective institutions that protect us from the state. The vast majority of our legal infrastructure isn't about 'catching bad guys' ... it's about making it difficult for the state to BE the bad guy! Yeah, it's not perfect (particularly when you are poor), and it is regularly abused by bad actors (particularly when you are wealthy), but it is still a lot better than a totalitarian, authoritarian state where the individual has no rights.

Canada's non-corrupt, independent judicial system is the reason why a whopping 300,000+ out of 7,400,000 Hong Kong'ers keep legal Canadian residency status in their back pocket. They know that the CCP massacred 10,000 innocent protestors in Tiananmen Square, and they will do it again. The CCP will stop at nothing to prevent societal 'turbulence'. Nobody who has tasted freedom wants any part of the CCP and your dear leader. All of the countries in the world where everyone actually wants to live are those with the best rankings in worldwide corruption indexes: Denmark, Switzerland, New Zealand etc.

Step back and think how beautiful a thing it is when courts throw out laws and rulings made by the current governing party. I often think that protecting innocent individuals from the state is the greatest achievement of western civilization ... after the dropper post.

But the CCP didn't massacre 10 000 students in Tianan men square.

July 3, 2019, 5 p.m.

Seriously if you guys stop being so dismissive of it and actually look into it it's not some denier conspiracy theory. Every year more and more newspapers starts referring to it as the "events of june 4th" or "the killings that occured outside the square"

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on July 3, 2019, 5:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2019, 9:25 p.m.

I'm claiming that in some areas regarding China I know more than you. To know the truth about China as an outsider is impossible.

In topics surrounding Canada, I can give you probabilities on what is happening.  Living in this country my entire life does not grant me any type of insight into what's really happening.   We get to vote between two organizations who are corrupt as hell.

Chinese people get less than that.

In North America, all media are owned by a few people.

In China, one.

I will die trying to point out our flaws here.  If you love China, I suggest you do the same.

July 3, 2019, 9:52 p.m.

yeah, seeing as it was only about 2600 and not in Tiananmen square I guess that makes it ok then?

July 4, 2019, 11:43 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

yeah, seeing as it was only about 2600 and not in Tiananmen square I guess that makes it ok then?

I would say shooting unarmed peaceful protestors and shooting at a crowd that is trying to kill you are two very very different things