China Syndrome

Feb. 6, 2019, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

My point in regard to the monk isn't if Tibet should or shouldn't be a part of China. It's how the Chinese police state scoops up people, jails them, beats the fuck out of them for something every person should be entitled to, freedom of speech or as you may call it as China's biggest fan... Unlawful assembly.

They do that in the States regular like.

No kidding. Have you seen the monstrosities Meng is living under?

Read my thread re: FBI.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 6, 2019, 11:40 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 6, 2019, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Well considering that the last time they opened up an alliance of world powers used it as a chance to push opium on them can you blame them for closing off?

And look I realize a bunch of corrupt elite have taken advantage of our weak government to hide their ill-gotten gains and insulate their families but there are actually a lot more rich Chinese who aren't leaving than ones who are. 

There are also lots of Chinese people who move to Canada, don't like it, and move back to China after a few years so drop thr whole "but everybody wants to live here instead" arrogance.

1. not really, but that happened a century before the rise of communism in China

2. that doesn't surprise me, but it would be interesting to compare the numbers on those who are leaving or moving their money out for any western destination (Canada, USA, Australia, etc) vs those who are staying

3. I don't ever recall any sort of arrogance or saying something like "but everybody wants to live here instead." I think that's your own defensiveness sparking up which is part of what people seem to be picking up on in your posts. My point about which place offers a better shot at life for the average citizen was a legitimate one and you can do the same comparison between Canada and other countries where they may come out on top instead of here. At some junction things need to be considered through a clear lens and not one that favours a place you may have an affinity for.

Feb. 6, 2019, 12:01 p.m.

And in case you hadn't been paying attention we don't exactly treat accused terrorists humanely or with due process either.

a couple of things to think about on that front - scale and redress.

do you think the scale of that issue is comparable in Canada and China? do you think China is comparable to Canada in terms of making amends or trying to make amends for lack of human treatment and due process?

it's almost like you're trying to make the argument that Canada and China are on equal footing in terms of human rights issues and dealing with them,

Feb. 6, 2019, 12:39 p.m.

I bet you don't actually know much about what he believes in. As far as what I believe goes that is not much of anything this guy says.

Under the old system he would have likely come out pf prison missing hands, or feet or eyes.

Do you actually know how Tibet became a part of China in detail? Do you know what it was like there when they were independent? Do you know how most people reacted when the PLA first arrived in Tibet? Do you know how the PLA behaved upon arrival. Do you know how many of the last 2000 years Tibet was a part of the Chinese empire? Do you you know who started the 1959 uprising and who was covertly supporting them hoping to increase the violence as much as possible?

If not then we can't even byegin to have a meaningful discussion about Tibet.

Ya dude he deserved it, this guy is a lair. You're right, you were there.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Feb. 6, 2019, 12:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 6, 2019, 2:25 p.m.

Hey FO, can you reach out to Trude's and tell him that all the Canadian's imprisoned in China deserve it and to just go ahead with this?

https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/02/06/huawei-likely-faces-5g-ban-in-canada-security-experts-say.html

Feb. 6, 2019, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

And in case you hadn't been paying attention we don't exactly treat accused terrorists humanely or with due process either.

do you think the scale of that issue is comparable in Canada and China? do you think China is comparable to Canada in terms of making amends or trying to make amends for lack of human treatment and due process?

it's almost like you're trying to make the argument that Canada and China are on equal footing in terms of human rights issues and dealing with them,

In terms of scale you can't really compare Canada and China. In the last 10 years there have been over 100 terrorist attacks in China resulting in over 700 deaths. 

How many Canadians have been killed by terrorists in that time frame? What if First Nations in Canada were prone to car bombs and suicide attacks? How do you think we would be treating them?

Feb. 6, 2019, 5:20 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

No kidding.  Have you seen the monstrosities Meng is living under?

She is not suspected of being a brown terrorist combatant, you can do better than that.

Feb. 6, 2019, 5:30 p.m.

She is not suspected of being a brown terrorist combatant, you can do better than that.

TIL all the Canadian's detained in China are brown terrorists.

Feb. 6, 2019, 5:45 p.m.

In terms of scale you can't really compare Canada and China. In the last 10 years there have been over 100 terrorist attacks in China resulting in over 700 deaths. 

How many Canadians have been killed by terrorists in that time frame? What if First Nations in Canada were prone to car bombs and suicide attacks? How do you think we would be treating them?

Scale takes into consideration things like geography, population, etc, so yes you can make that comparison. It might also be good to consider why those terrorist attacks are happening in the first place. 

If Indigenous people were prone to car bombs and suicide attacks I tend to believe the various governmental bodies would be putting resources into stopping it. I definitely do not think they would be turning a blind eye. I'm going to guess you're bringing that up in relation to the murdered and missing Indigenous women inquiry? I'm don't think that's a fair analogy to draw.

Feb. 6, 2019, 6:43 p.m.

Those "terrorist" attacks are almost all in northwestern China’s Muslim region, with maybe a couple in annexed Tibet.  I suppose you believe the Chinese government's treatment of the people in those regions has nothing to do with attacks.

Feb. 6, 2019, 7:10 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Those "terrorist" attacks are almost all in northwestern China’s Muslim region, with maybe a couple in annexed Tibet.  I suppose you believe the Chinese government's treatment of the people in those regions has nothing to do with attacks.

I think it has everything to do with how the Chinese government treats them. I would probably want to blow them up too if I was religous enough.

Feb. 8, 2019, 1:09 p.m.

Regardless of who you think is the least bad, it is clear that we are in a moment of transition of power in the globe and Trump's election was the starting pistol for accelerating plans moving forward.  China is locking down its positions across the globe and it is obvious that they are aiming to counter the West's sphere of influence.  IMO, with this race of global domination, Canada must be wise in who we trade with and how we protect our own national interests.  I don't think you can argue that Huawei stole massively from Nortel, so I am not feeling too bad about arresting their princess.  From my perspective, I am sure China is a nice country filled with great people, but their government is fucking us where and when they can and this will only get worse.  Rounding up a few asshole tourists is the least of my concerns.  Xi has plans.

Feb. 8, 2019, 2:43 p.m.

uhhh.. didnt Trudoh! give one terrorist dude like $10 millions?

Feb. 8, 2019, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: switch

I think it has everything to do with how the Chinese government treats them. I would probably want to blow them up too if I was religous enough.

Or you could not live in a place where you wanted to blow yourself (or them if you're not a suicide bomber type) up.

Feb. 8, 2019, 7:48 p.m.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tiananmen-square-massacre-death-toll-secret-cable-british-ambassador-1989-alan-donald-a8126461.html