China Syndrome

Jan. 2, 2019, 5:20 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: Fast-Orange

No I would say they are both equally biased. 

I could make Canada just as awful with a few slanted headlines: 

"Canada forces its indigenous populations to live in remote areas with unclean drinking water" 

"Canada pumps diseased salmon blood from fish farms back into the ocean"

"Canada makes weapons deal with Saudi Arabia to assist them in the slaughter of dissidents" 

"Canadian mining companies continue to hire paramilitary troops to displace or massacre villagers in Latin America"

Sounds like headlines from The National Observer, Tyee or Narwhal.

If you take out the Canadian slant I’d say the Intercept.

What are the Chinese analogues?

close but not quite WRT the headline thing.

Yeah, nah. Gonna need more there.

Jan. 2, 2019, 5:34 p.m.

Tyee definitely has some inflammatory headlines, but the observer and narwhal tend to be pretty balanced and more on point. i find the reporting in the narwhal is pretty good, while they have an agenda and slant to their reporting they tend to do a relatively good job of presenting facts from the other side of the story as well. i'd never consider them to be hit pieces or overly biased.

Jan. 2, 2019, 5:40 p.m.

Tyee definitely has some inflammatory headlines, but the observer and narwhal tend to be pretty balanced and more on point. i find the reporting in the narwhal is pretty good, while they have an agenda and slant to their reporting they tend to do a relatively good job of presenting facts from the other side of the story as well. i'd never consider them to be hit pieces or overly biased.

The thrust of my post was to say we have many reputable news sources that skewer our elites (unlike the G&M and National Post).

Until I see proof otherwise, China has no such thing.

Jan. 2, 2019, 5:44 p.m.

The thrust of my post was to say we have many reputable news sources that skewer our elites (unlike the G&M and National Post).

ahh, ok gotcha. I got the impression you were saying sources like the narwhal were highly biased hacks.

Jan. 2, 2019, 5:48 p.m.

ahh, ok gotcha. I got the impression you were saying sources like the narwhal were highly biased hacks.

👍🏼 Not at all. The opposite.

Jan. 2, 2019, 6:25 p.m.

Not sure if China is as bad as Canada. If they are I’m sure you can link some Chinese news sources critical of their actions?

If I did would you be able to read them?

Or if you were the OP would you even want to know? China is a great scapegoat and even when something positive does get reported there people just come out with the whatabouts. 

What if all over the world the headlines I listed from Canada were what defined our international reputation? Would you think that was fair?

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 2, 2019, 6:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2019, 6:45 p.m.

Not sure if China is as bad as Canada. If they are I’m sure you can link some Chinese news sources critical of their actions?

If I did would you be able to read them?

Or if you were the OP would you even want to know? China is a great scapegoat and even when something positive does get reported there people just come out with the whatabouts. 

What if all over the world the headlines I listed from Canada were what defined our international reputation? Would you think that was fair?

Yes, I don’t want you to supply proof for the non-claims you’ve made.

Keep on keeping on champ.

Jan. 2, 2019, 6:56 p.m.

Just don't try an order a Bible online when in China...

Jan. 2, 2019, 7:15 p.m.

i'd say that those headlines don't get pushed enough to be honest, but we seem to be doing so many other things. it's all about the balance. would you say that China's human rights record/actions are in more of a positive balance or a negative one? same question for enviro concerns? you could probably just sum it up and ask about ethics, where on the continuum of ethics does China lay - positive or negative?

Jan. 2, 2019, 7:58 p.m.

Jack Ma: "I don't listen to the government"

http://blog.sina.cn/dpool/blog/s/blog_407c97ab0102wrcs.html

A journalist vents his frustrations about state media:

http://m.wyzxwk.com/content.php?bclassid=4&classid=14&id=361013&style=0

There's also Du Daobin, he got arrested and did three years in 2003 and again in 2008 and released 2010. He has written hundreds of articles critical of the government and organized large demonstrations but has been free for the last 8 years and all his articles are still searchable on baidu.

http://m.aisixiang.com/data/68550.html

There are shitloads of other examples of indipendent thought on Chinese media but I'm done being reductimats Chinese search engine

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 2, 2019, 8:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

i'd say that those headlines don't get pushed enough to be honest, but we seem to be doing so many other things. it's all about the balance. would you say that China's human rights record/actions are in more of a positive balance or a negative one? same question for enviro concerns? you could probably just sum it up and ask about ethics, where on the continuum of ethics does China lay - positive or negative?

China has unique challenges is all I can say, whatever bad thing you can imagine, there is more of it there because there are more people. 

Plus they spent a century getting raped by the western world and Japan and then a quarter century chaotic and starving due to the bad decisions of an insane dictator. 

But godamn have they been getting their shit together. Some of their policies might seem harsh but again, they have unique challenges.

Jan. 2, 2019, 9:21 p.m.

Jack Ma: "I don't listen to the government"

http://blog.sina.cn/dpool/blog/s/blog_407c97ab0102wrcs.html

A journalist vents his frustrations about state media:

http://m.wyzxwk.com/content.php?bclassid=4&classid=14&id=361013&style=0

There's also Du Daobin, he got arrested and did three years in 2003 and again in 2008 and released 2010. He has written hundreds of articles critical of the government and organized large demonstrations but has been free for the last 8 years and all his articles are still searchable on baidu.

http://m.aisixiang.com/data/68550.html

There are shitloads of other examples of indipendent thought on Chinese media but I'm done being reductimats Chinese search engine

Keep fighting the good fight champion.

(We agree Americans would go French if their government said all their communications, by writ, would pass through their eyes, right).

Jan. 2, 2019, 10:14 p.m.

I failed to point out that Jack Ma is as powerful as the Koch brothers.

Jan. 3, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

(We agree Americans would go French if their government said all their communications, by writ, would pass through their eyes, right).

Some close their eyes and concentrate when they go French.

Jan. 3, 2019, 3:12 p.m.

" A Global Affairs Canada spokesperson told CBC News late last year that, at any given time, there are roughly 200 Canadians being held in custody in China. Most are detained over minor matters, the spokesperson added."

" Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said today it is not "convenient" to discuss the charges against two Canadians detained in China, despite the assertion by the country's top prosecutor that they broke the law. "

where would you rather be facing legal action, in China or Canada ?

what is the conviction rate in Chinese courts ?

do Canadians ever claim refugee status in China

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 3, 2019, 3:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.