Chilcotins NBR?

Aug. 22, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

We are going on a work 'do' to Tyaughton Lake soon but I am planning on starting a maybe a day early and leaving a day late, and doing some sightseeing away from the lake. Either on the way there / back or hunt around closer to the lake area. Are there any 'must see' areas that a Pathfinder with decent tires can get to? I see there is a ghost town called Bralorne. Gun Lake looks pretty impressive. Thinking about finding somewhere quiet to sleep around there for a night.

Also, the Hurley…. I've never been over it but I've done plenty of FSR exploring around Squamish so I guess if I'm used to that, the Hurley is fine? I have memories of guiding days when the boss would threaten to murder us if we drove the company vehicles over the Hurley, so we had to go the long way around (I only made it to the Tyax resort once though).

Cheers!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 22, 2016, 1:22 p.m.

We are going on a work 'do' to Tyaughton Lake soon but I am planning on starting a maybe a day early and leaving a day late, and doing some sightseeing away from the lake. Either on the way there / back or hunt around closer to the lake area. Are there any 'must see' areas that a Pathfinder with decent tires can get to? I see there is a ghost town called Bralorne. Gun Lake looks pretty impressive. Thinking about finding somewhere quiet to sleep around there for a night.

Also, the Hurley…. I've never been over it but I've done plenty of FSR exploring around Squamish so I guess if I'm used to that, the Hurley is fine? I have memories of guiding days when the boss would threaten to murder us if we drove the company vehicles over the Hurley, so we had to go the long way around (I only made it to the Tyax resort once though).

Cheers!

I havent done much 'wheelin' around Tyax, but did take a couple of roads up in order to access some trails. The water bars were the biggest issue for my (unmodified) Landcruiser.
The Hurley is fine for something like your Pathfinder. I know people who have done it in their Civic or Matrix. It had some steep/loose sections, but it is fairly well maintained (especially by this time of the year). Just check the website to make sure conditions are ok.

http://isurvivedthehurley.com/

Aug. 22, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

Bring spare tires. Plural. And plugs for when you run out of spare tires. And don't let your bike rack or hitch block the spare tire from being used. It will be used.

Aug. 22, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

Bring spare tires. Plural. And plugs for when you run out of spare tires. And don't let your bike rack or hitch block the spare tire from being used. It will be used.

plugs and a small compressor are well advised.

Dash Hill is best 4WD road will take you over 2000 meters. its pretty gnarly though.

Aug. 22, 2016, 2:29 p.m.

Serious thread derail, where does one buy tire plugs from? CDN Tire or tire shop?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 22, 2016, 2:55 p.m.

Hurley isn't in the best shape right now. Lots of baby heads.

Two spare tires and a plug kit (plus the knowledge on how to use it) is the minimum. Also wouldn't hurt to carry a couple of jacks in case one fails, a decent 12v compressor and a small chainsaw.

Aug. 22, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

Serious thread derail, where does one buy tire plugs from? CDN Tire or tire shop?

Option A.

Tire shop will probably give you shit for even thinking about it.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

A T handle on the plug kit is much nicer to use IMO.

I also carry slime but ive never had to use it

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

I keep reading about tire plug kits on wheeling sites but people always order them from the states. I'll likely check amazon.ca as well.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

Highline.

Yalakom.

Mud Lakes.

Marshall Lake.

Big Bar Ferry.

Dog Creek. Gas at the store.

Gang Ranch. No gas.

Take a big jerry can or two of gas and don't skimp on tires.

Take a plated dirt bike and bang off a 300km loop ftw.

Ride More Bitch Less

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:38 p.m.

I've gone across the Hurley several times without any tire problems. Definitely go prepared for the worst, but, if you drive reasonably, it should be fine. It sounds like a grader went through 2 or 3 weeks ago, so it shouldn't be that bad.

As for places to check out, if the Ault Creek road is passable, you can camp at the end of it and have a nice view of Mt. Sloan.

From there, you can hike up to a nice alpine lake. The trail used to be relatively easy to find, but I haven't been up there in 5 years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.7939237,-122.9198976,8005m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!6m1!1s1bc08-n_VgsWEad7Fx5DZnJD7-Qg

Driving out to the end of the Bridge River road, along Downton Lake, is also pretty scenic.

Aug. 22, 2016, 5:14 p.m.

I've gone across the Hurley several times without any tire problems. Definitely go prepared for the worst, but, if you drive reasonably, it should be fine. It sounds like a grader went through 2 or 3 weeks ago, so it shouldn't be that bad.

As for places to check out, if the Ault Creek road is passable, you can camp at the end of it and have a nice view of Mt. Sloan.

From there, you can hike up to a nice alpine lake. The trail used to be relatively easy to find, but I haven't been up there in 5 years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.7939237,-122.9198976,8005m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!6m1!1s1bc08-n_VgsWEad7Fx5DZnJD7-Qg

Driving out to the end of the Bridge River road, along Downton Lake, is also pretty scenic.

Drove the Hurley yesterday. It's in pretty rough shape (just chatter and rocks) though my friend made it there and back in her Ford focus.

As long as you have decent tires you shouldn't have problems. I've only ever had one flat going over and that was from a piece of grader blade. Pioneer Paul fixes tires in gold bridge if you ever need help.

The ault Creek road is passable but I don't think the trail into the lake exists anymore. I hiked up there a few months ago and brushes out a little path to the waterfall but from there it's a bush wack straight up the hill to the lake.

Aug. 22, 2016, 6:12 p.m.

I have driven the hurly a bunch in the last few years and out side the time I tried to save money by buying shit tires, I have never gotten a flat. keep the speed down, watch the road and don't break in the bumps.

over all condition report from last weekend I would give it 7/10.

keep your eyes pealed for dear on route 40. had a fawn commit suicide with my vehicle recently. didn't even see it till it was under the tires.

tick off Ned's list if you want to drive around and look at things.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Aug. 22, 2016, 8:09 p.m.

Sounds like a place you might meet a couple inbred dudes with a shotgun.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 22, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

My wifes crew got four vehicle flats with two trucks and a minivan a week and a half ago. It was freshly graded which means all the sharp rocks are in the surface.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/productDetail/0092134P?storeClearance=false[HTML_REMOVED]selectedSku=0092134[HTML_REMOVED]isNonOnline=false[HTML_REMOVED]isAutomotive=false[HTML_REMOVED]isBarcodeValue=false[HTML_REMOVED]serverName=ATLAS[HTML_REMOVED]quantity=1