Not so cheap off-road vehicle

May 30, 2023, 6:51 p.m.

Have a new set of SL Wildpeak AT3W on my Frontier, So far so good. Sturdier than an OEM spec HT no doubt. Had 10 ply KO2s before, good tires but overkill for my truck (heavy, stiff ride). Would have bought them again if they offered a 6 ply in 265/75R16. I've seen the KO3 in Jeep and GM promos so that's probably coming out soon.

May 31, 2023, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: mrbrett

If you find a deal, Falken Wildpeak AT3W are a good alternative to BFGs. I have found them better in winter - we had BFG on one vehicle and Falkens on the other last winter, so I made some good comparisons. Also find the Falkens chunk less on gravel.

One proviso re: LT tires. You’re probably shopping for a size where they’re is some crossover between looks-like-an-SUV and truck tires. Check tread depths on LT vs SL tires if you want to see what I mean.

Like sometimes half the tread depth on a comparable (same model) brand new p series vs SL vs LT tire. Or sometimes there are similar but not same tires and the LT version has a mountain snowflake.

Kinda confusing but I hope that made sense.

I'm looking for an all terrain tire that will be better offroad than what I have now, that I can run all year round, and that won't ruin the truck as a daily road driver. In the end I'll likely suck it up and get 5 of the BFGs

As Madman suggested KO3s are around the corner so maybe there will be some attractive pricing available on KO2s.

May 31, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

I used to run into the govy guy who job was checking out FS roads and bridges, he said the hot tip for the FSR's was 10ply but then he would also put the same tires on his box trailer so if he gets a flat he has 2 more spares for extra redundancy. Which may sound kind of anal but it happens, I did a shuttle where i got stuck out there with 3 flats the factory original 4 ply Generals on a 08 Ford pu , weird size so the only tires i could find in town were the same 4 ply Generals used takoffs from Kal tire, probably off another 08 ford PU I figure. In any case if you are doing many FSR's think about buying appropriate/ better rubber

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 31, 2023, 10:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 10, 2023, 3:38 p.m.

If you find a deal, Falken Wildpeak AT3W are a good alternative to BFGs. I have found them better in winter - we had BFG on one vehicle and Falkens on the other last winter, so I made some good comparisons. Also find the Falkens chunk less on gravel.

I ended up finding these for a pretty decent price. Splurged on some sexy red and black rims that say TRD on them too. Will post a pic soon.

June 10, 2023, 6:30 p.m.

All you need is a lift now and you'll be running fixies off the road in no time!  :)

June 11, 2023, 12:47 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

All you need is a lift now and you'll be running fixies off the road in no time! :)

What needs to happen is it's the last friday of the month and i'm just off work with the truck packed trying to get up the 99 in time to find a camping spot...traffic is at a standstill for some reason..suddenly i hear loud cheering and hundreds of bicycle bells chiming in unison..im on georgia st..it's 530pm my heart sinks and tears form as I realize what is happening and how much I deserve this.

The new wheels definitely complete the truck. 

June 11, 2023, 7:51 p.m.

Looks awesome!

June 12, 2023, 2:04 p.m.

Looks awesome!

We took it up Squamish River Valley road and a fair ways up the Elaho main. Had a great weekend. Even if you don't get there until 730 on a Saturday night there are still lots of spots to camp. Saw a few elk and had a nice cookout next to the river.

June 12, 2023, 2:14 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: shoreboy

https://canadiangearhead.com/motomaster-eliminator-x-trail/

They have these 25% off at crappy tire rn. I'm considering getting them as the tires the truck came with (firestone destination LE2) are apparently pretty terrible and maybe if i swap now while they're fairly new I could still sell them for something.

These motomasters are supposed to be good for weekend warriors like me. They supposedly work for exploring fire roads and backcountry trails while offering impressive year round on-road performance in wet or snow. Not good for serious crawling or mudding but i'm not planning on doing any of that anyways. They say the firestones suck in winter.

If the reviews are to be belived they will be a cheap upgrade that tick the boxes for my use case. Disclaimer: I'm very inexperienced and naive.

Yeah, tires aren't the place to save. Id recommend something like the BFG KO2s for what you have described. Good on the pavement, great on the FSRs, and winter rated. Will stand up to some light wheelin' if you happen to find yourself in that situation. Everyone has their opinions on tires, and their usage is always quite varied. Crappy Tire has them on sale right now as well I think, and also has a mail in rebate.

^This.

And also get the the spare matching. Also highly advise getting the spare out from under the truck ASAP. Depending on where a flat happens it could and can become a FUBAR exercise to deal with it.

Also would suggest spending money on a proper breaker bar with appropriate socket to keep in the truck. Makes it easier to crack the lug nuts. Think of it as reducing the aggravation level of just that one more fucking thing moment and also the whole “Honey, watch you language.”🤣

Spare is 100% matching both rim and tire and am gonna let the 5th wheel I bought take up space in the flatbed as per your advice. I pretty much had to go all matching as I had already bought a 5th wildpeak but the spare that the truck came with was a 16 inch. Considering getting a jack that would help me out in trickier/stuck situations too. Another item I'm interested in is one of those hand cranked ratchet winches? 

After all that I'm looking to replace the bumpers with those ones with hooks for the winch that are better for bashing into things and if I haven't gone broke by then we'll do a 2 inch lift.

June 12, 2023, 4:58 p.m.

If I could tell a prior version of myself to save the money spent on a come along and put it towards a winch I would. 

Drive down to Harbor Freight and get a Badlands winch would be the rest of that advice. Even on a hitch mount for now. Leave it at home when you don’t need it, toss it in the box when you might. 

If you’re thinking off road jacks, I have only used a hi lift once (after carrying one for a long time), and it wasn’t for a vehicle. I did however use the plastic base that came with the EXTREME OFF ROAD SUPER MANLY kit many times, though that could have been substituted for $0 by using some wood blocks. Your stock screw jack can sink in softer terrain whilst changing a flat without some kind of a thing to spread the weight a bit.

June 12, 2023, 7:53 p.m.

If I could tell a prior version of myself to save the money spent on a come along and put it towards a winch I would.

Drive down to Harbor Freight and get a Badlands winch would be the rest of that advice. Even on a hitch mount for now. Leave it at home when you don’t need it, toss it in the box when you might.

If you’re thinking off road jacks, I have only used a hi lift once (after carrying one for a long time), and it wasn’t for a vehicle. I did however use the plastic base that came with the EXTREME OFF ROAD SUPER MANLY kit many times, though that could have been substituted for $0 by using some wood blocks. Your stock screw jack can sink in softer terrain whilst changing a flat without some kind of a thing to spread the weight a bit.

Are you saying the bits of 2x4 and plywood i brought with me to build shooting targets out of might have been useful combined with my stock jack had the need arisen? That's pretty cool. I might have even figured that out had i been in the situation. What about these inflatable jacks?

As for a powered winch i dont actually see myself going into extremely gnarly situations for a while. The come along is just for a kind of freak incident last resort option since theyre only a hundred bucks or so

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 12, 2023, 7:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 12, 2023, 9:55 p.m.

Yeah I bought a dedicated hi lift jack base. Bright orange. Plastic moulded thing that had a little rectangular divot in it so the jack wouldn’t slide off. In addition to the intended use, it worked great as a base for the factory scissor jack to get a little higher (bigger tires) as well as stop sinking in mud or sand. 

A 2x10x10 piece of wood works for the same purpose too. And probably free. 

I agree a winch might not be too important right away or ever depending on what your plans are. 

Tried an exhaust jack once at a 4x4 demo thing. Like the ones you hook up to your exhaust pipe and they inflate an industrial grade pillowcase looking thing. Maybe if you lived in the Borneo jungle and ripped around in some old Land Rover Camel edition and had a South African accent you could pull it off. That’s typically the guy in the video that swears by them. I didn’t really see the use case but wanted to like it. Could even be a hot commodity if you’re in a lot of sand or snow.  

If we are talking 4x4 jacks unless you’re carrying a heavy thing it’s probably not useful. Same as a winch, you will know if you need it.

June 14, 2023, 7:50 a.m.

I wonder if you can bolt a bar onto the chainsaw of a chainsaw winch to do cutting, that would make it do 2 jobs ??

It been nice weather which you can't count on so get a good tarp and some poles

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 14, 2023, 10:36 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 14, 2023, 3:53 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I wonder if you can bolt a bar onto the chainsaw of a chainsaw winch to do cutting, that would make it do 2 jobs ??

It been nice weather which you can't count on so get a good tarp and some poles

I got myself a nice pup tent as seen in a picture i posted a couple pages back. It's the perfect size to stand over my tent in ominous weather. Have a couple of good tarps too and various cordage. 

To be fair though in a couple weeks the packing of the pup tent will be as some portable shade from the sun or an act of desperate, hopeful optimism that it could rain.

Summer in general seems to be becoming a less than ideal time for this off roading shit. Too many ways i could start a fire by accident, campfire bans, too hot out.. its looking like juneuary is gonna happen as usual for the second half of the month but after that...i dunno I might stay out of the woods altogether until it rains again.

June 22, 2023, 12:54 p.m.

Are you saying the bits of 2x4 and plywood i brought with me to build shooting targets out of might have been useful combined with my stock jack had the need arisen? That's pretty cool. I might have even figured that out had i been in the situation. What about these inflatable jacks?

As for a powered winch i dont actually see myself going into extremely gnarly situations for a while. The come along is just for a kind of freak incident last resort option since theyre only a hundred bucks or so

Just remembered this mod of a Harbour Freight 1 1/2 ton jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH6ia8boLw