Not so cheap off-road vehicle

April 3, 2023, 7:25 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: three-sheets

Xxxer has a truck in his driveway that would be good for hunting....

No gas guzzlers

you wouldn't even need a gun, just run over whatever you wana kill

April 3, 2023, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

SUV is not allowed. My new offroad vehicle must have more practical usefulness than simply recreation soooo pickup trucks only.

I’ve never understood why pickups are more practically useful than an SUV. Especially after you see the pickups with a tonneau cover to keep shit dry and a North Shore Rack to load bikes.

In my 42 year old Westy, I have loaded a full size 3 seat couch and a matching 2 seat couch at the same time. My Pontiac Vibe has carried home a 14’x9’ metal and plexiglass roof system in one drive. My jeep has carried two queen sized mattresses to the dump.

So many of our local riders here have those newer pickups. Most that goes in the truck bed is the bike and it seems that is it. See them driving around in these big things. Reality is 90% of them would be better off with something like a mini van with a rack or an SUV. Almost like for many a big oversized F-150 is some sort of status symbol more then anything else.

April 4, 2023, 6:43 a.m.

I don't want a shop-vac full of drywall dust in an SUV sharing interior space.

April 4, 2023, 10:29 a.m.

This 4cyl 4wd Tacoma looks like a good deal. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1176201979976883/?mibextid=dXMIcH

April 7, 2023, 12:34 p.m.

Im going to end this thread in the disappointing way of not buying anything and putting off any vehicle purchases for a while. I'll make do continuing to borrow my mom's forrester which isnt that bad actually and still allows me to explore lots of places i can't in my sedan. 

2024 Ford Maverick is gonna have an AWD hybrid option so im just gonna save some sheckles while driving the sedan as little as possible and try to get one of those in a year or two.

April 7, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

Im going to end this thread in the disappointing way of not buying anything and putting off any vehicle purchases for a while. I'll make do continuing to borrow my mom's forrester which isnt that bad actually and still allows me to explore lots of places i can't in my sedan. 

2024 Ford Maverick is gonna have an AWD hybrid option so im just gonna save some sheckles while driving the sedan as little as possible and try to get one of those in a year or two.

If you don't want to wait I was thinking an Outlander PHEV might work for ya. New Tacoma next year is said to have a hybrid option as well.

April 7, 2023, 4:25 p.m.

I would be interested in the tacoma hybrid but its probably gonna cost 20-30k more than the Maverick. Outlander is a SUV unfortunately and we dont care what anyone thinks it's full cab 4 door pickup or nothing. Would love a phev option for a 4wd or awd pickup tho

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on April 7, 2023, 4:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2023, 5:20 p.m.

Any ot those would be damn near the vottof my list of vehicles id trust to get me home from a backroad adventure.

April 7, 2023, 5:33 p.m.

I’m guessing one more year until there’s a 4xe Gladiator. 

Should have more choices soon enough!

April 7, 2023, 6:40 p.m.

Yeah, like you’re gonna dump a bucket of drywall dust into the back of your new Tacoma.

April 7, 2023, 7:07 p.m.

you just didnt find anything yet, so relax & keep an eye out, you might even change your mind at some point

April 7, 2023, 9:29 p.m.

SUV is not allowed. My new offroad vehicle must have more practical usefulness than simply recreation soooo pickup trucks only.

I’ve never understood why pickups are more practically useful than an SUV. Especially after you see the pickups with a tonneau cover to keep shit dry and a North Shore Rack to load bikes.

In my 42 year old Westy, I have loaded a full size 3 seat couch and a matching 2 seat couch at the same time. My Pontiac Vibe has carried home a 14’x9’ metal and plexiglass roof system in one drive. My jeep has carried two queen sized mattresses to the dump.

There are things you can do with a pickup that you really can't with an SUV. Like all the times I took a motorcycle to a track day. Or picking up a refrigerator (don't want to lay it down). Or filling it for a dump run with stuff you really wouldn't want in a cabin space. 

I have a buddy who's taken a filing cabinet on his motorcycle so I respect what you've done with your vehicle, but for the vast majority an SUV is a station wagon with a high CG.

April 8, 2023, 7:56 a.m.

Yeah, like you’re gonna dump a bucket of drywall dust into the back of your new Tacoma.

You know what i do for work right? 

A pickup would create a lot of extra weekend hussle opportunities for me that a SUV would not. Patching holes in walls, taping and sanding them ready for paint can be quite lucrative but requires a decent amount of gear that you don't want anywhere near a cloth seat

April 8, 2023, 1:12 p.m.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/cto/d/abbotsford-nissan-frontier/7608110356.html

Might be worth looking into?

Last edited by: Madman on April 8, 2023, 1:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 8, 2023, 1:55 p.m.

You know what i do for work right? 

No, I don't.  And nowhere in this thread were we looking for a work truck.