changing the national anthem

March 3, 2010, 9:01 p.m.

Canada's attitude towards accommodating all comers is what I both love and hate about this country. I like that we arent like the USA where we try and 'assimilate' cultures into our own, but I hate that every week we are screwing 99.9% of Canadians in the name of appeasing some ridiculous minority group. I mean how many friggin women can there be in Canada anyways?

Okay but in all seriousness, you'd be lucky to not get shot in the USA if you tried to change something as core and integral to the country as their anthem in the name of political correctness. Things like the woman in Quebec suing because she cant have an entire class of people bend over backwards to accommodate her culture piss me right off. We need to grow a backbone at some point.

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

March 3, 2010, 9:27 p.m.

take god out while they're at it

and make dmx rap it

March 3, 2010, 9:34 p.m.

Canada's attitude towards accommodating all comers is what I both love and hate about this country. I like that we arent like the USA where we try and 'assimilate' cultures into our own, but I hate that every week we are screwing 99.9% of Canadians in the name of appeasing some ridiculous minority group. I mean how many friggin women can there be in Canada anyways?

Okay but in all seriousness, you'd be lucky to not get shot in the USA if you tried to change something as core and integral to the country as their anthem in the name of political correctness. Things like the woman in Quebec suing because she cant have an entire class of people bend over backwards to accommodate her culture piss me right off. We need to grow a backbone at some point.

On the US but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBceAtNT7Ss

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 3, 2010, 9:41 p.m.

wow, that is really stupid

the "god keep our land" is much more offensive and i think it would be silly to change even that.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 3, 2010, 9:43 p.m.

I am a woman, AND I'm an atheist, and I feel neither excluded nor offended by the national anthem. Plus "thou dost in us command" sounds particularly lame!!!!!!!

March 3, 2010, 9:45 p.m.

Certainly not self-serving little princesses!

Hmm… I wonder what your reaction would have been to Iggy suggesting it be changed hmm? I could only imagine. lol

Welcome to Canada, the lumber republic who's number one denizen is the Canadianus Gutlees Wonder. Usually seen doing backflips and the freakish circus act of becoming a human pretzel trying to accommodate every whim of the whining and bitching self entitled. Specifically the Esius Offendus ze Descriminatus Racius.

Calls native to the Esius Offendus ze Descriminatus Racius,

-You have Christmas tree therefore you hate Islam

- You want to see membership card because you hate Chinese

-Your helmet law offends my religious rights

-You hate Sikhs because you don't allow knives in schools

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 3, 2010, 9:47 p.m.

Don't change it….people need to get over themselves.

March 3, 2010, 9:48 p.m.

thats stupid,

is anything should change it would be "the true north strong and free". the magnetic poles invert them self's every once so this could become inaccurate.

March 3, 2010, 10:35 p.m.

If they're going to change they should atleast get Nickleback to write it.

:lol:

I think gerewh0re would prefer Rush write the lyrics.

Yet another attempt at deflection by Harper. Don't fix the budget you have totally screwed up - put effort into some trivial, token crap that doesn't fit your stance.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 3, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

complete bullshit. People who think that our tax dollars need to be wasted on this sort of crap should be shot.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

March 3, 2010, 10:46 p.m.

Funny how all the Conservative party bashers conveniently forget the preceding Liberal governments made this an issue as well.

Oh, wait. It's okay for the Liberals to do that because the Liberals can do no wrong.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 3, 2010, 10:53 p.m.

Where we now sing "God keep our land glorious and free," we once sang "O Canada, glorious and free."

It is up to us to keep Canada glorious and free, not The Big Invisible Friend.

March 3, 2010, 10:54 p.m.

I have yet to hear any arguments against changing it that aren't some form of stance against change for the sake of being contrary.

You can agree or disagree with God being in the anthem, but at least there's an argument. You can say that you're not offended by 'sons' in there, but there are those who are. Is anyone really offended by the idea of 'sons' being taken out?

Why is this even an issue? This isn't about stomping on some group's rights over the rights of others (as some misguided posts would have you believe), it's about changing things with the times. Does anyone here actually believe that women should be excluded from the anthem?

Times change, get over yourselves.

iforonewelcome.com

March 3, 2010, 11:01 p.m.

Here are the original words:

O Canada! Our home, our native land,
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

Refrain
O Canada! O Canada!
O Canada. We stand on guard for thee.

God was an addition under the National Anthem Act of 1980.

March 3, 2010, 11:15 p.m.

The original sucks. While we are changing the current version, take out "god" and "sons" and add hockey somewhere. :lol: