Cell phone plans

Nov. 15, 2022, 7:06 p.m.

I HATE Canadian telecoms but I need a new cell phone. I'm trying to keep costs down so I'm trying to figure out whether it's better to get a new phone contract as well.

I work from home so I'm on wifi most of the time so my data usage is under 1GB a month but the tier one providers (Telus, Bell, Rogers) all seem to be pushing 5G connectivity and huge data volumes I don't need, and are pushing data sharing (which I also don't need). 

So, I've ruled them out as too expensive...

The tier two providers (Koodo, Virgin and Fido) aren't that much cheaper but offer pre-paid (PAYG no contracts) which might work out slightly cheaper than post - paid. But, they seem to have even more fine print conditions.

Then there's third tier providers such as Public and Chatr but they only seem to have 3G data (frankly, I'm too impatient for 3G...)

And then there's Shaw. No idea how that works as I don't believe they have their own masts so not sure what their real life network coverage is like and whether they suffer from dropouts.

I've think I've concluded that it makes more sense to buy the phone outright at the start (~ $500 for a Google Pixel 6a) rather get a monthly contract or tabvut I've got a headache from trying to figure out their shitty websites and endless terms and conditions hidden in fine print and bogus "offers"

So, a couple of questions:

1. Is 5G connectivity game-changing ?
  2. How much data does the average NSMB reader consume?
  3. Can anyone recommend a great deal they are on?
  4. Anyone using Shaw? How's it working out? (I'm a Shaw internet user and I can't get access to the best deals as I'm not a new customer...grrrr)

For reference, I'm on a monthly deal with Koodo (1GB/unlimited Canadian calls and Text, caller ID and Voicemail which is all I really need) for $39.20 after tax but can get out of it easily.

My only real problem is that Koodo (like Telus) charges $12 per day if I need to roam in the US. Admittedly, COVID has kept me out of the US for the last couple of years but I've got a couple of road trips planned which potentially could rack up significant roaming charges....

I'm considering switching to Koodo PAYG as at least I can purchase US add-ons which don't expire...

Anything else I should consider?

Nov. 15, 2022, 7:14 p.m.

Are you living in metro Vancouver? If so Freedom gets a bad rap but I've been with them for years and I'm satisfied as he'll. 

All this talk of them having shitty coverage is referring to their past not their current services imo and their roaming rates are reasonable and they'll give you everything kodo was giving you plus way more data for the same price. 

At the moment I'm getting 20gb of data and unlimited everything else plus paying off a Samsung s20 for 77 dollars a month and that includes like 100 minutes of US calling, 1gb of roaming data in the US or other parts of Canada and unlimited US texting and you never have to worry about going over your data limit and getting charged extra. Bills are 100% surprise free.

Nov. 15, 2022, 7:27 p.m.

Look into citiphone and drop me a pm if you want a referral code. They run on the Rogers network.  I’m paying $40month for 5gig data with a new phone . Not sure what their current offerings are.

Nov. 15, 2022, 9:07 p.m.

All the major carriers are charging around $12 a day for roaming.

Some carriers will give better pricing after you start using them.  For example, I switched to Fido about a year ago on an OK plan and then a few months later they offered me a 15GB $40 plan or $45 25GB plan.

There should be some deals in the next week, or around Christmas.

Nov. 15, 2022, 11:07 p.m.

@Fast-Orange

Yes, I'm in Metro Van...

Bills are 100% surprise free.

Ha - I should hope so!. I think $77/month for a cell phone is an insane amount. Do you really use 20GB data a month? If so, why? (I can understand that if you don't have a ISP at home but I'm already paying Shaw for home internet which includes Shaw mobile hotspots so don't really need much data from my cell phone provider.

@syncro

Cityfone specifically do not have a US roaming solution as all US providers switched off 3G in July. In fact, I guess any Canadian provider with 3G plans would be similarly affected.

@switch: If you move from Koodo post paid to pre-paid, you can buy "boosters" for US call minutes, text messages or data and this circumvents the daily charge. 

I'm currently leaning to stay on my existing Koodo plan and maybe just buy a US SIM (or use an eSIM) when I cross the border. I'm not bothered about having a different phone number whilst on vacation...

Nov. 15, 2022, 11:17 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

I'm considering switching to Koodo PAYG as at least I can purchase US add-ons which don't expire...

I'm on the basic $15/month Koodo prepaid with 250MB (which I rarely use since I'm almost always around Wi-Fi). Picked up talk and data boosters when they had some great 2-for-1 deals and have enough minutes and GB to last several years. The US roaming boosters work great.

I've think I've concluded that it makes more sense to buy the phone outright at the start (~ $500 for a Google Pixel 6a) rather get a monthly contract or tabvut I've got a headache from trying to figure out their shitty websites and endless terms and conditions hidden in fine print and bogus "offers".

I always buy used Pixel phones, whatever model will get updates for another couple of years.

Nov. 16, 2022, 5:04 a.m.

If I wasn't paying off the phone it would be 50 a month. I dunno doesn't seem so bad to me and as I mentioned they have 40 dollar plans that give you more than you're getting now.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Nov. 16, 2022, 5:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2022, 7 a.m.

And then there's Shaw. No idea how that works as I don't believe they have their own masts so not sure what their real life network coverage is like and whether they suffer from dropouts.

1. Anyone using Shaw? How's it working out? (I'm a Shaw internet user and I can't get access to the best deals as I'm not a new customer...grrrr)

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Are you living in metro Vancouver? If so Freedom gets a bad rap but I've been with them for years and I'm satisfied as he'll. 

All this talk of them having shitty coverage is referring to their past not their current services imo and their roaming rates are reasonable and they'll give you everything kodo was giving you plus way more data for the same price. 

FWIW Shaw Mobile is rebranded Freedom. Same setup with primary network and fallback to partner ("Nationwide") network where there is no coverage.

When we still lived in North Van, Shaw Mobile was fine. However here in Comox their network does have blind spots and it so happens we live in one. Phones constantly flip between Shaw/Freedom and Nationwide networks with lots of dropped calls as a result. Workaround is manually selecting the Nationwide network.

Nov. 16, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I'm on the basic $15/month Koodo prepaid with 250MB (which I rarely use since I'm almost always around Wi-Fi). Picked up talk and data boosters when they had some great 2-for-1 deals and have enough minutes and GB to last several years. The US roaming boosters work great.

I've think I've concluded that it makes more sense to buy the phone outright at the start (~ $500 for a Google Pixel 6a) rather get a monthly contract or tabvut I've got a headache from trying to figure out their shitty websites and endless terms and conditions hidden in fine print and bogus "offers".

I always buy used Pixel phones, whatever model will get updates for another couple of years.

Pixels are great phones too without all the bloatware.  I am on my 2nd Pixel and still using a 3A XL.  It is just starting to get a bit laggy after a few years and it wasn't the flagship phone when I bought it.  I might spring for a new one soon though because my charge port doesn't send data anymore and I can't hook up to Android Auto (first-world problems).

Nov. 16, 2022, 9:39 a.m.

Pixels are great phones too without all the bloatware.  

Yeah, that is what's attracting me plus my Samsung hasn't had an OS or security update for a long time. HOWEVER, during this research, I've learnt that Samsung have actually undertaken to provide more Android updates than Google will, and I tend to keep my phones a long time (current S8 is four years old)

So, anyone had any experience using 5G? Has it made any difference to your usage habits?

Nov. 16, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

I switched from pixel back to Samsung. The pixel build quality was a little lacking especially the charge port. If you buy the phone outright it doesn't come with a lot of the bloatware that people complain about I think a lot of it is added by the carriers.

Nov. 16, 2022, 10:03 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I switched from pixel back to Samsung. The pixel build quality was a little lacking especially the charge port. If you buy the phone outright it doesn't come with a lot of the bloatware that people complain about I think a lot of it is added by the carriers.

I can't argue with the charge port, but isn't most of the Samsung bloatware from Samsung?  They are usually my 2nd choice.

Nov. 16, 2022, 10:57 a.m.

It might be different these days.. but back when phones were still locked to carriers the phones you'd buy at a branded store (like telus or rogers) would all have their carrier bloatware preinstalled. So if you bought it outright as an  unlocked phone they dont put their carrier bloatware on it.

https://gstylemag.com/2021/03/10/bloatware-galaxy-s21-ultra-unlocked/

https://www.androidauthority.com/unlocked-phones-vs-carrier-phones-1023517/

Nov. 17, 2022, 11:33 a.m.

If you've got someone close in the States on T-Mobile could jump on their plan? Works great.

Nov. 17, 2022, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Adam-West

I can't argue with the charge port, but isn't most of the Samsung bloatware from Samsung?  They are usually my 2nd choice.

I use debloating software to get rid of the unwanted software, as well as a different UI package.  Works well and battery life is great.