CBC Article: Whistler mayor not keen about day trippers from Lower Mainland

Oct. 6, 2017, 9:22 a.m.

CBC Article

Is it just me or is this a complete load of BS? It's basically saying - We don't want common folk from Vancouver coming up to Whistler for the day because they don't spend enough money.... and then trying to say the main issue is that those people litter??

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on Oct. 6, 2017, 9:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 6, 2017, 10:29 a.m.

I used to live there and think like that. Now  back in NV and realize what a douche I was, and how douchey Whistler has become.

What really makes me laugh is the Whistler transplant who says " Are you from the city?" like it's a world away, it's an hour drive

Last edited by: bux-bux on Oct. 6, 2017, 10:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 6, 2017, 11:34 a.m.

This is terrible for Whistler.  Businesses are going to crater now that we've lost Steve and Alice from Burnaby coming down and word is on the street that the Smith family from Abbotsford is now making alternate plans.

Oct. 6, 2017, 12:12 p.m.

I wonder if she was misquoted or she really is just an idiot

Oct. 6, 2017, 1:10 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

This is terrible for Whistler.  Businesses are going to crater now that we've lost Steve and Alice from Burnaby coming down and word is on the street that the Smith family from Abbotsford is now making alternate plans.

Cute, few years back with a weak US dollar and a shit snow season, the crying in Whistler was all over the news. Now this? Hilarious

Oct. 6, 2017, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Cute, few years back with a weak US dollar and a shit snow season, the crying in Whistler was all over the news. Now this? Hilarious

I remember them fondly.

Oct. 6, 2017, 3:38 p.m.

The majority of the monkeys on this planet think infinite growth is a good thing. I just wish they knew that that line of thinking is why Jesus invented the plague.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Oct. 10, 2017, 1:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I don't have a lisp
Oct. 6, 2017, 9:45 p.m.

The place is getting too big. Sooner than later something has to give. The announcement by Vail about building a water park is just nonsense. It's too much. The mayor should, of all people, realize that tourism drives that place. The bigger the village gets, the more it needs to survive. Along with that comes more garbage, more traffic, more people etc.

Thread killer

Oct. 10, 2017, 7:04 a.m.

I miss living in the mountains, but I am glad I got out of Whistler when I did (2001).  I knew I would never be able to afford to own property there, or even in pemby.  I thought things were crazy when I left, and it has only gotten worse.

Oct. 10, 2017, 8:24 a.m.

Aren't city politicians the lowest paid type of politician and the best always work for the least amount of money right?

Oct. 10, 2017, 10:31 a.m.

The majority of the monkeys on this planet think infinite growth is a good thing.  I just with they knew that that line of thinking is why Jesus invented the plague.

Yes, one needs to be subtle about these kinds of issues. Remember when Limits To Growth was published it got drummed out of the conversation by the identity politics psychos.

even in pemby

Hey I saw something adverted low six. Sure it was a shack 50' from the highway but still....

Oct. 10, 2017, 10:44 a.m.

The majority of the monkeys on this planet think infinite growth is a good thing.  I just with they knew that that line of thinking is why Jesus invented the plague.

The plague is back, baby!  Madagascar is ground zero.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/02-october-2017-plague-madagascar/en/

Oct. 18, 2017, 10:41 a.m.

And a rebuttle: link

Oct. 18, 2017, 12:40 p.m.

The idea that Whistler gets overrun by city folks tossing their garbage around is pretty pervasive in Whistler, but there is some basis in truth to it.  The thing is, when you are Mayor and the majority of your town's existence depends on the city folks, you keep your mouth shut in an interview.  I know Nancy and thought she was smart enough to know that.

As far as mountain culture goes, packing sandwiches in a pack is 100% mountain culture, and for a woman that has lived in Whistler for as long as she has (I think she was even a squatter back in the day), she should know better.

Oct. 18, 2017, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

The idea that Whistler gets overrun by city folks tossing their garbage around is pretty pervasive in Whistler, but there is some basis in truth to it.

When you say "city folk" are you referring to day-trippers from Vancouver or just any visitor who isn't a local Whistler resident? The weird part of the interview/article was that it seemed to say that day-trippers from Vancouver create all the garbage and the ones that politely follow the rules are the wealthier overnight tourists, who also happen to spend way more money in Whistler. That just sounds like a complete load of BS where she was basically using littering as an excuse to say that day-trippers don't spend enough money in Whistler so they are better off staying at home, unless she was misquoted/taken out of context...