caught my first real fish

July 27, 2010, 12:45 p.m.

Some decent sized white springs have been beasts to play out.

And humpback is a better sounding name.

Anyone ever seen a cherry salmon around here? Or do they only stay on the other side of the Pacific? They'ze supposed to be real good eatin'.

White spring mostly run in the early spring and light pink spring run in the fall, isn't this the general rule?

Only ever saw dark pink springs (I think this is what you mean by cherry color flesh) in late summer as it was salt chuck fishing in Cowichan bay Genoa bay. This was back in my teen years when the fish were bigger. The beast was 36 lbs took and about an hour to land it! Never had anything like it since. I was told that they are all the same fish, what they eat in the open ocean is what determines their flavor and flesh color. Seemed to make sense to me, you are what you eat.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

July 27, 2010, 1:11 p.m.

fair play on the chum in the ssshhmoker; but don't know many who eat the pinkies

Hardly anyone eats humpys, but they are good fresh on the BBQ like fillis said (never tried the berries though). We used to eat them on the boat during sockeye season because they are small enough for a couple people and the companies paid us so little for them they were cheaper to eat than potatoes.

July 27, 2010, 3:25 p.m.

Anyone here ever snorkeled down the Campbell river from below elk falls in the summer? Did it last July; tons of fish in there at that time so awesome.

Would highly recommend it to you islanders

That was a staple when growing up there. Usually did it on tubes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 27, 2010, 4:32 p.m.

This thread is useless without pics. 30lber:

So many freaks, so few circuses.

July 27, 2010, 7:55 p.m.

whens the crab run start?

July 27, 2010, 8:01 p.m.

Depends how itchy you get.

You can trap crabs year round as long as it complies with the regulations in the area. There are times of the year when they molt and the meat isn't very good, you can tell by their soft shells and you should just throw them back.

July 27, 2010, 8:40 p.m.

Depends how itchy you get.

You can trap crabs year round as long as it complies with the regulations in the area. There are times of the year when they molt and the meat isn't very good, you can tell by their soft shells and you should just throw them back.

jokes there guy

July 27, 2010, 9:15 p.m.

Fishing is srs bsness

July 27, 2010, 9:28 p.m.

Nice fish!

Single action reels FTW!

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 27, 2010, 9:43 p.m.

That's a fly reel on a fifteen foot spey rod.

July 27, 2010, 10:01 p.m.

over 35, fish also

meh

July 27, 2010, 10:15 p.m.

cohos are more feisty in my opinion.

cohos run straight at you, fight's over in a few minutes

springs will pull 1000 feet of line and keep going if they don't run out of water

meh

July 27, 2010, 10:57 p.m.

cohos run straight at you, fight's over in a few minutes

springs will pull 1000 feet of line and keep going if they don't run out of water

I'd say coho are craftier, but when it comes to pound for pound fighting, I'm gonna speculate that the species POV goes out the window and that it all boils down to genetics. You can reel in big fat 35lb spring who's parents spawned in a quiet tributary of a big river not to far from the tidal water. Or you can reel in a 25lb spring who's parents migrated up a smaller yet longer and nastier river that made their way through a couple of rough and steep canyons. Which spring do you think will give you a better run? Same goes for all other anadromous species IMO.