Casual North Van restaurant recommendations?

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:08 p.m.

Arm's Reach Bistro is really good, and reasonably priced. Gusto di Quattro is also nice, but a little less casual maybe.

The Jamaican place is Kingston II, quite good, but very casual.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:34 p.m.

First choice would be Tamarind Hill. Never been but looks great, definately on the top of my list.

Tamarind Hill was disappointing I thought. How can you make a Malaysian curry taste bland.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:44 p.m.

Sushi - Bella Sushi on Lonsdale and 2nd
Thai - Krua Thai on Lonsdale between 14th and 15th
Indian - Indian Fusion on Lonsdale between 20th and 21st
Beer - The District on Lonsdale South of Esplanade
Girl Food - Burgoo on Lonsdale South of Esplanade

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:47 p.m.

^^^^this and

Greek - Mythos Lonsdale and 19th

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

Indian - Indian Fusion on Lonsdale between 20th and 21st

I'll second that, small room but the lunch platters are amazing value and staff have always been friendly.

I'll add Memphis Blues BBQ, for a meat-fest. Roll out of there and hit the Persian bakery (Colestaan) across the street, for the amazing cream puffs and pistachio/cocoa roll cakes.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 19, 2011, 2:54 p.m.

Beer - The District on Lonsdale South of Esplanade

I remember going in to the District. o_O

I recall enjoying it thoroughly. Vaguely.

viperfunk.com

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:17 p.m.

Burgoo on Lonsdale [HTML_REMOVED] Esplanade…comfort food at it's best (and a good beer list)

I used to go to the Burgoo on W.10th in Vancouver all the time back when I lived and worked out that way.

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:33 p.m.

Hands down, our favorite place to dine in NV - Tamarind Hill.

Malaysian food is amazing. Not too spicy, yet full of spices and flavours you'll never get anywhere else. Everything on their menu is wicked good.

www.tamarindhill.ca

We'll probably try this one tonight as Malaysian food isn't something I've had all that often. Will report back.

Feel free to keep posting suggestions though, always interested in trying new places.

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:40 p.m.

I remember going in to the District. o_O

I recall enjoying it thoroughly. Vaguely.

that sounds like every trip i've taken there :)

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:46 p.m.

http://www.tomahawkrestaurant.com/

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:54 p.m.

Thai Place @ Esplanade/Londsdale (Specially for Lunch - great value!)

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:54 p.m.

We'll probably try this one tonight as Malaysian food isn't something I've had all that often. Will report back.

Make sure you try the green papaya mango salad and the calamari. The halibut cheeks are yummy as well.

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:31 p.m.

Szechuan: Red Chili on Lonsdale btw 8th[HTML_REMOVED] Keith.
Indian: Palki 1/2 block east of Lonsdale on 15th
Thai: Thai Yala on Lonsdale ~23rd

If there's a place on the Shore w/ better Indian food (veggie) I'd be surprised [HTML_REMOVED] stoked to try it.

Thai Yala, is ultra casual, almost like a small diner but some of the best Thai food I've had in the City.

Red Chili: the green beans [HTML_REMOVED] garlic tofu are off the hook. [yes beans and tofu can be off the hook.]

Burgoo, Crua Thai - underwhelmed when I've been there.

A few places mentioned in this thread I haven't been to but will have to try.

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:37 p.m.

Red Chili for Szechuan
District for interesting snack-type share food and great Belgian beer selection
Mumbai Masala on 16th for Indian. I hate the guy at Palki - take-out only from there.

Jan. 19, 2011, 5:40 p.m.

Indian: Palki 1/2 block east of Lonsdale on 15th

If there's a place on the Shore w/ better Indian food (veggie) I'd be surprised [HTML_REMOVED] stoked to try it.

true story, that place is the tits for indian from the two times i went there. I went with the fusion place, however, because i used to live less than a block away, frequented it much more often, and it was also ultra tasty.