cartalk - AWD wagons

Jan. 2, 2009, 7:55 p.m.

Just like the bay and zellers, but which one would you rather buy clothes at?

Yes and he said, in the same sentence, he wouldn't want to fix the Audi but he likes the VW for it's German reliability.

Ergo, shouldn't the Audi also be reliable?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 2, 2009, 8:03 p.m.

Yes and he said, in the same sentence, he wouldn't want to fix the Audi but he likes the VW for it's German reliability.

Ergo, shouldn't the Audi also be reliable?

Kn.

IMO I should have re-read what I posted, I know Audi and VW are the same company. It seems like the reliability is a hit of miss with these cars. How many older Audi's do you see on the road? Not to many. People usually lease Audi's because of their free maintenance and ditch them when the lease is up because their so expensive to maintain and repair. Same goes with VW, but with out the free maintenance and I'm guessing more people buy because their cheaper to purchase.

Jan. 2, 2009, 8:13 p.m.

You know how much repair you get for the cost of a few car payments?
A lot:)

Jan. 2, 2009, 8:20 p.m.

IMO I should have re-read what I posted, I know Audi and VW are the same company. It seems like the reliability is a hit of miss with these cars. How many older Audi's do you see on the road? Not to many. People usually lease Audi's because of their free maintenance and ditch them when the lease is up because their so expensive to maintain and repair. Same goes with VW, but with out the free maintenance and I'm guessing more people buy because their cheaper to purchase.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I see many older Audi's on the road. My '97 Jetta has just a touch over 268,xxx kms, and it's going decently enough. There's always the people that hate VW's because of reliability, but that can be said about EVERY car manufacturer.

I however would never buy a domestic vehicle, as I'll stick with either a Japanese (or the like) or back to something German. Just my .02 cents

Jan. 2, 2009, 8:54 p.m.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I see many older Audi's on the road. My '97 Jetta has just a touch over 268,xxx kms, and it's going decently enough. There's always the people that hate VW's because of reliability, but that can be said about EVERY car manufacturer.

I however would never buy a domestic vehicle, as I'll stick with either a Japanese (or the like) or back to something German. Just my .02 cents

it might be different over in Ontario, maybe all to ex-lease Audi's from BC head over to Ontario :P As for your Jetta I've had friends with VW's that are a couple of years old and a wheel bearings or the engine mount is shot, the mass airflow sensor is faulty or the tail light or headlight is always out. But thats my opinion.

As for keeping this thread on track, I think Matt will be happy with any car he's thinking on getting.

Jan. 2, 2009, 10:05 p.m.

no comment on either of those, but a huge thumbs up for awd wagons in general.

getting into biking, and with a child on the way, the 95 z-28 wasn't cutting it for the wife and I any longer.

Eventually we purchased an 02 audi allroad. What a fantastic machine! Lots of power, 2.7 twin-turbo v6. amazing interior, air bag suspension. the car is just wonderful :)

i put on a 4 bike nsr rack and its great for biking. have had it jacked up to the higher suspension settings these past 2-3 weeks and i'm getting as much ground clearance as the smaller suv's

they don't make them anymore, but you may find one with warranty remaining @ dealers.

the later models even have the S4 v8… mmmm such nice sounds!

Jan. 2, 2009, 11:53 p.m.

Obviously the subaru is the best choice. The automatic gets slightly less mileage ratings, and 170hp is definatly enough but its no race car. Subaru's are 10x easier to work on, fix, and find parts for.

I question the Volvo / Volkswagen AWD capability.

Cock's drive Audi's.

Jan. 3, 2009, 1:51 a.m.

Obviously the subaru is the best choice. The automatic gets slightly less mileage ratings, and 170hp is definatly enough but its no race car. Subaru's are 10x easier to work on, fix, and find parts for.

Cock's drive Audi's.

Yes Matt, I totally agree on that.

"Cocks drive Audi's" according to Top Gear.

VW… well yours is showing a good example of its durability over time and why not try out a new company?

As for Volvo, they're just monsters in terms of how safe it is. If I were to be in an accident with a Volvo, I better start praying that I don't get destroyed while the Volvo driver will be able to walk off scratch free. They're tanks.

However their drivetrain isn't as well built as the FUBAWU's

As for the BMW option, Bimmer is nice and affordable, but at the same price range the Bimmer will have the worst interior and trim options. Unless you care more about having the BMW rep rather than comfortable and rich looking interiors for the price you pay, go for it.

As far as looks go, the A4 wagon just looks sick IMHO, similar fascia design to the R8

Good luck with the search. The older Subaru's look awesome and come with the subaru reputation as well.

;)

09 looks cool too

Just to stir shit up (impossbile to buy in NA… me wants…)

:drool:

oh hai!

Jan. 3, 2009, 8:23 a.m.

Yes Matt, I totally agree on that.

"Cocks drive Audi's" according to Top Gear.

VW… well yours is showing a good example of its durability over time and why not try out a new company?

As for Volvo, they're just monsters in terms of how safe it is. If I were to be in an accident with a Volvo, I better start praying that I don't get destroyed while the Volvo driver will be able to walk off scratch free. They're tanks.

However their drivetrain isn't as well built as the FUBAWU's

As for the BMW option, Bimmer is nice and affordable, but at the same price range the Bimmer will have the worst interior and trim options. Unless you care more about having the BMW rep rather than comfortable and rich looking interiors for the price you pay, go for it.

As far as looks go, the A4 wagon just looks sick IMHO, similar fascia design to the R8

Good luck with the search. The older Subaru's look awesome and come with the subaru reputation as well.

;)

09 looks cool too

Just to stir shit up (impossbile to buy in NA… me wants…)

:drool:

Pajero Evo wins.

Jan. 3, 2009, 10:53 a.m.

Cock's drive Audi's.

Yeah man, boxer engines were designed to be ergonomic for maintenance :rolleyes:

Anyways, a 328 is not the base 3-series (that's the 323) and therefore comes standard with goodies like dual-zone climate control, leather, power everything, massive sunroof, good sound system (USB connectivity with an $80 cable). Anything else, there's a few option packages you can tick that'll keep you under 50k MSRP…but I'm sure many salesmen are motivated to sell right now.

Like I said, the maintenance program is a huge selling point for a BMW. It doesn't matter how much you drive over the 4 years, every regular schedule maintenance, anything that breaks, needs to be replaced (tires and wiper blades included) is free. I imagine that will save you quite a few bones over the long run compared to all the other choices.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Jan. 3, 2009, 12:21 p.m.

those are cars for rich people.

or not-rich people that live outside their means.

Jan. 3, 2009, 1:51 p.m.

clearly you need a b7 rs4 avant

i fail at pictures

Jan. 3, 2009, 2:26 p.m.

clearly you need a b7 rs4 avant

i fail at pictures

the interior is SICKK!!

the other options are still roomier though.

oh hai!

Jan. 3, 2009, 2:39 p.m.

Why isn't a BMW 328xiT included in your list?

Awesome finance rates on them and you don't pay a penny for service, warranty or wear and tear items for four years.

$44,130 MSRP 230hp - 200 lb-ft, Hwy: 7.6/7.8L/100km, City: 12.3/11.9L/100km

bmw's are only good if you are leasing.

No point in buying the vehicle if you plan on selling it down the road.

Jan. 3, 2009, 7:21 p.m.

Like I said, the maintenance program is a huge selling point for a BMW. It doesn't matter how much you drive over the 4 years, every regular schedule maintenance, anything that breaks, needs to be replaced (tires and wiper blades included) is free. I imagine that will save you quite a few bones over the long run compared to all the other choices.

lets be honest here, in 4 years how many km are you going to put on any vehicle? In 4 years chances are the only thing your going to need to buy is some wiper blades and a few oil changes. Is that really worth 40+ K for a car? My roomate just bought a brand new Patriot and for 21K it is actually really nice, and suprisingly good on gas. Now obviously the interior is no fully loaded Audi or Subaru, but how much do you really want to pay per month for a car that will depriciate by 40-50 percent over 3 or 4 years…. People hate on domestics these days because its the cool thing to do. Nobody actually compares the vehicles on the principles we should care about. What are you REALLY getting for your dollar?

As opposed to listening to opinions on here, which for the most part are considerably uneducated, you should be out test driving everything you can get your hands on to get a first hand feel and make an educated decision based on your needs and budget.

Cheers from a lowly mechanic..