Career in Plumbing

April 24, 2007, 10:14 p.m.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined or has the aptitude to be a plumber.

the aptitude to be a plumber???

April 24, 2007, 10:20 p.m.

the aptitude to be a plumber???

yes, it does take a certain degree of aptitude to be a plumber, they deal with things like volume contol, water pressure, and how to correct issues with said.

April 24, 2007, 10:22 p.m.

I'm in an electrical apprenticeship and finding it pretty fun but not that interesting or engaging so far - working as a construction electrician apprentice is ok but the plan is to get into industrial control and instrumentation once I have my ticket (or I can find a way to segue in).

Construction electrical is lame because you are always commuting. I want to get a job where I can settle down somewhere for 5-10 years at a time. Spend my free time doin some recreating, creating, fornicating, procreating, not driving the #1.

son of a stromatolite !

April 25, 2007, 4:29 a.m.

42 really isn't all that high of an average worker age. In the mining industry it's almost 47. In underground mines more than half the workforce is expected to retire in the next 10-15 years. In surface operations its a bit lower.

Hey disco do plumbers do anything to do with head losses, turbulence and cavitation or is that beyond the scope of training? They mechanics behind fluids aren't really all that complicated.

son?? your 15, you should just be glad ross isnt gay

April 25, 2007, 7:43 a.m.

Hey disco do plumbers do anything to do with head losses, turbulence and cavitation or is that beyond the scope of training? They mechanics behind fluids aren't really all that complicated.

Did you really just call fluid dynamics simple?

This space intentionally left blank.

April 25, 2007, 7:44 a.m.

it will maily depend on which factor is bigger: mass retirement(increase in demand for labor) vs. bubble bursting/downturn in the economy (decrease in demand for labor). these will both happen eventually, and we wont know the true effect of it until it happens. it all depends on which one is more powerful.

April 25, 2007, 9:06 a.m.

42 really isn't all that high of an average worker age. In the mining industry it's almost 47. In underground mines more than half the workforce is expected to retire in the next 10-15 years. In surface operations its a bit lower.

I don't know I'm not a plumber, it just makes sense to me that they are dealing with things like what i said so they must have to have a certain degree of aptitude to correct any problems with them. I wouldn't be able to I don't have that aptitude, hence I'm not a plumber.

April 25, 2007, 5:36 p.m.

I am actually a foreman for a mechanical a contractor and I run commercial and institutional projects.We do the Plumbing heating and gas fitting in house.We subcontract the Hvac refrigeration controls and insulation.A big part of my job is to organise and schedule my sub trades making sure they do their work properly.We supply all of the heating and air conditioning equipment and have to land it in its appropriate places.Sometimes this can be a real chalenge especially in an existing building, alot of this equipment is enormous have done projects in schools, hospitals, prisons, used to do houses.I usually have 2 to 3 jobs running at the same time and is usually very stressfull.But i like the challenge and riding my bike is my stress relief

June 21, 2007, 9:26 p.m.

"Quote"
Nice link. FYI, in the world of plumbers and fitters, sprinkler fitters are sort of considered the "village idiots". Not sure why, but my experience on construction sites seems to show that the rest of the fitters kind of look down on the sprinkler guys.

They "look down on us" cause were all so good looking8) . Seriously it's pretty much the same stuff except we don't have to deal with the "plumbers crack" and "shit runs downhill" comments. Pay and cash jobs are 'bout the same and with a lot more municipalities encouraging fire sprinkler systems in single family dwellings there is always a lot of work.

While on the topic of work, my company is looking for 1 or 2 "new" people. We have a smallish highrise to do downtown and a couple LARGE ones in coquitlam, so if you know anybody looking for work send me a pm. (starting pay is 14/hr.)

June 22, 2007, 4:07 a.m.

Nice link. FYI, in the world of plumbers and fitters, sprinkler fitters are sort of considered the "village idiots". Not sure why, but my experience on construction sites seems to show that the rest of the fitters kind of look down on the sprinkler guys.

Kn.

that is as may be, but sprinkler guys have ALOT more resposibilities, be it in reference to the building code, or simply that they are putting in the parts of the structure that will hopefully save lives in teh event of a fire. Also, no poop in sprinkler pipes.

Trucks and Guns.

June 22, 2007, 4:09 a.m.

there's also different tickets as a plumber, stainless med grade work is a whole different ball game as compared to standard copper piping in your house.

Trucks and Guns.

June 22, 2007, 4:09 a.m.

It's a good honest trade, the world needs more plumbers and less over paid politicians

QFT! Thank you.

Vancouver is full of female students from Japan, Korea and China in their 20's.

It's awesome because:
1. They're already rich so they don't care if you have money or not.

2. They're on the road so they're much sluttier than they are at home.

3. They usually go back home after six months or so.

In China most of the girls are traditional so if you're gonna fuck em' you better marry 'em. If all you want to do sleep with asian girls Vancouver is the place to be.

June 22, 2007, 4:15 a.m.

hey pedro, ever been outside, or do you just sit at home on the computer sounding intelligent?
On my site we have probably 30 people working. 5 of us are under 30.
that's what….17[HTML_REMOVED]#37;ish?
trades is mostly old farts.

Trucks and Guns.

June 22, 2007, 5:47 a.m.

Bighitter,

I didn't mean to convey the message that trades are doomed,

Pedro

Yes you did…this time you have spoken out of your ass in a topic you know very little about.

Fact-All trades in BC (and Canada for that matter) are facing a major decline in skilled workers because of retirement rates.

The problem lies in my generations'(and younger) not being given trades training options when we were in high school.Hell,my high school didn't even have a trades area,because trades were for stupid kids back then………

To the O.P….go for it,you will make that 70 grand once you get your ticket if you work hard….I suggest you check out the next trades open house at BCIT or VCC and see the other options available to you as well.

Pastor of Muppets

June 22, 2007, 7:01 a.m.

The problem lies in my generations'(and younger) not being given trades training options when we were in high school.Hell,my high school didn't even have a trades area,because trades were for stupid kids back then………

Yeah…there's this huge push for trades now, but when I was in high school (mid 90's) it wasn't even presented as an option.