Car Insurance

Feb. 17, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

It's almost time to renew my car insurance [HTML_REMOVED] I can already feel the misery setting in at the prospect of dealing with that bunch of c*nts at ICBC.

As a relatively recent import to both Canada [HTML_REMOVED] BC, I'm not too clued up on the insurance options (if any) that we have available to us out here… In the past, I've always just paid ICBC the ridiculous amount they demanded, as I thought this was my only option.

I've heard that instead of going with ICBC for your entire policy, you can pay the basic premium through ICBC [HTML_REMOVED] then go private for your additional coverage.

Can anyone confirm this [HTML_REMOVED] perhaps recommend a good insurer?

I'd really like to get my premiums down to a more realistic level [HTML_REMOVED] get some coverage that if I need to claim, is worth more the paper its written on.

Thanks

Feb. 17, 2011, 10:43 a.m.

I'd really like to get my premiums down to a more realistic level [HTML_REMOVED] get some coverage that if I need to claim, is worth more the paper its written on.

Thanks

What's 'down to a more realistic level'?

I could be mistaken but I don't think you'll be able to save a huge amount by going with another company for the optional coverage. Personally, it would have only saved me about $20 so didn't bother.

Oh, and if you think insurance is expensive here you should try Ontario!

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

try canadian direct for the optional part

edit: saved me about $75 a month when i used them.

Feb. 17, 2011, 10:58 a.m.

talk to Henry at the cooperators in North Van

Feb. 17, 2011, 11:02 a.m.

Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look.

Coming from a country where car insurance is all private sector [HTML_REMOVED] fiercely competitive, it pains me to not even try [HTML_REMOVED] get a better quote.

Feb. 17, 2011, 11:29 a.m.

Oh, and if you think insurance is expensive here you should try Ontario!

thats funny, because when I lived in Onterible, I was paying about HALF what I pay here for the same vehicle and same level of Insurance. I paid 50 bucks a month back then.. OUCH by comparrison.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Feb. 17, 2011, 1:02 p.m.

try canadian direct for the optional part

edit: saved me about $75 a month when i used them.

I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico…ahem, I mean CDI

Feb. 17, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

thats funny, because when I lived in Onterible, I was paying about HALF what I pay here for the same vehicle and same level of Insurance. I paid 50 bucks a month back then.. OUCH by comparrison.

Where abouts in Ontario? When I moved here from Toronto my insurance dropped by about 30%. This was a few years back though so things may have changed.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Feb. 17, 2011, 1:51 p.m.

BC[HTML_REMOVED]Alberta…actually applies here.

Feb. 17, 2011, 1:54 p.m.

f3*k here we go. Another ICBC Love/Hate thread.

I knwo people that have saved money with a second party insurer on the optional and others that haven't. Worth trying.

Feb. 17, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

What's 'down to a more realistic level'?

The equivalent of less than 200 UK pounds a year would be nice as that's what I paid over there. My dad still moans if he has to pay much over 100 pounds. Can't people over here who can't even do something as simple as drive a car with a manual gear box just be shot dead? There'd be fewer cars on the road, the people still driving won't be dribbling retards, and as such insurance would be a reasonable cost. Sounds like a fair solution to me.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 17, 2011, 9:16 p.m.

You mean there is actually something in the UK that's cheaper than here :eek2:

Feb. 17, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

Nobody in London is actually allowed to drive their car so it really cuts down on accidents. If we charged 20 bucks to take a car downtown it probably would cut my insurance in half.

Feb. 17, 2011, 9:38 p.m.

Join BCAA and get your extra, non-ICBC mandatory, insurance from them. Cheaper than Canadian Direct. You just have to sign a declaration form saying you've had a license and no accidents for 10 yrs plus. Doesn't matter if the license is not BC.

"Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds" - George Whitebread.