car decks with ipod outlet?

Aug. 15, 2007, 1:33 p.m.

i'm looking into getting as car deck with an ipod outlet built in so i don;t have to use an itrip, caus ei want better sound quality…anyone have any experience with these? and also which to look for when buying one?
cheeaaa

Aug. 15, 2007, 1:52 p.m.

An Ipod outlet is no different than any other AUX input. Just get any deck that has an AUX input on the front and the 4 dollar wire to connect the ipod.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10080455[HTML_REMOVED]catid=10174[HTML_REMOVED]logon=[HTML_REMOVED]langid=EN#

I have had one, it worked well. Anything works better than the original itrip which was the worst.

Aug. 15, 2007, 2:20 p.m.

There are a few decks out there that have the ipod dock connector. I can't remember the brand but one I was looking at allowed you to select your music directly from the deck. It was pretty cool and it really opened up the possibilty to hide your ipod and make a clean looking system.

Aug. 15, 2007, 2:23 p.m.

ja…aux is different then ipod control

aux will let you put any source into the stereo with a stereo headphone jack, while ipod control lets you actually control the ipod from your stereo.

a lot of decks have aux, less have ipod control - which is much cooler in my opinion, so you should get that.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Aug. 15, 2007, 2:50 p.m.

Man, there are a TON of car decks (receivers) that have ipod hookups (dock hookups that allow for nav control and charges the ipod). Of course, this depends on the make/model of your car and if certain decks will fit your vehicle.

Go to crutchfield.com and search to see what will work for you.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Aug. 15, 2007, 2:54 p.m.

I have got a couple hours of use on my good buddys
Alpine CDA-9885
I personaly am not a fan of the layout of the buttons,
but the idea is defently A+.
go down to your local audio shop, defently take a look into the Jvc EXAD series if you have the cash, if you dont i would sujest stick to the alpine ipod controll stuf.

im amazed I havent gone to jail for satatory rape or kidnapping

Good prices, amazing hosting
www.evhost.ca/cms
Say Ryan sent you.

Aug. 15, 2007, 9:56 p.m.

get a flip screen with the dock. Touch screen control the ipod.

Aug. 15, 2007, 10:55 p.m.

i bought a sony deck
that had IPOD CONNECTOR advertised on the box
but once i hooked it up
i found that this IPOD CONNECTOR is simply a AUX input
which doesnt really matter much because i just use cds as i cannot hold onto any type of portable music for more than a couple months

Aug. 16, 2007, 10:30 a.m.

they make ones that are simply an AUX input and you use the standard jack that headphones use. you just need the cable to connect your iPod, Zune, or whatever. these do not charge the iPod and you change songs from the iPod. Sound quality is as good as it is going to get.

they also make ones that plug into the bottom of the iPod and then may or may not control the ipod. These will usually charge the iPod. Important thing to consider: How easy is it to control your iPod (especially if you have 30 GIGS of music?) The scrolling function is key to the iPods usability. If you have to scroll though 200 artists one line at a time to get to Rolling Stones, then the thing is a real pain in the ass.

So, if you are going to get these iPod controlling interfaces be sure you are aware of this.

i wasn't.

i got around the problem by organizing each my music into genre's where each genre is the letter of the band… A, B, C, etc… so then i just scroll genres (to R, for example) and then scroll through a few bands to get to rolling stones (15 seconds at the most). the other way takes like literally 4 minutes to get to rolling stones.

Aug. 16, 2007, 11:18 a.m.

thats why you get a flip screen with touch control. So easy to use when controlling the ipod.

Aug. 16, 2007, 12:04 p.m.

yea but i was making the point that it's a detail to consider. Flip screen is an option, but can be pricey… especially for this kind of application.

i'm also proposing a cheap alternative. my method works beautifully and my stereo is a brute. i just didn't dump 5-600 on the deck. Put the money where it counts.

Aug. 16, 2007, 12:30 p.m.

ja…aux is different then ipod control

aux will let you put any source into the stereo with a stereo headphone jack, while ipod control lets you actually control the ipod from your stereo.

a lot of decks have aux, less have ipod control - which is much cooler in my opinion, so you should get that.

Are you really going to find a car deck that navigates 30gb of music better than the ipod? I highly doubt it. Paying for anything more than an AUX input is just a novelty. I have an ipod adaptor on my TV/Stereo system. It is a great novelty, and cool, i agree, but if I want to find something fast I still navigate with the ipod. It would be even more of a burden in a car.

If all you want to do is listen to an ipod in your car, the best option in an AUX input.

Aug. 16, 2007, 1:06 p.m.

if you just want to use an ipod and no cd's, this deck is the cat's ass:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X001

they go for around $400.00

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Alpine_IDA_X001_Receiver_p/500idax001.htm

Aug. 16, 2007, 1:11 p.m.

cat's ass? is that better than the bee's knees?

Aug. 16, 2007, 1:13 p.m.

cat's ass? is that better than the bee's knees?

could be :thepimp: