Car buying app or helpful websites

Feb. 3, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

After 8 years and 200,000+ km of mostly reliable service, my car has been given last rites. Seems there's an untracable water leak and evidence of oil and water mixing. Economically, its not worth spending the money on a engine strip down. So, its time to look for a new car and I'm a bit rusty on what's out there and how to get the best bang for the book.
I've downloaded the Edmund's app but its US based so pricing is not relevant here in BC so what website's do you use for unbiased information (which needs to be relevant to BC).
Any other apps you recommend?

Feb. 3, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

Bought my last 3 vehicles based on old school Lemonade car books (one new SUV, two used - economy car [HTML_REMOVED] full size van).

http://www.lemonaidcars.com/

Your local library likely has them to borrow for free if you don't want to buy a copy.

Feb. 3, 2016, 8:41 p.m.

Auto trader app is good for browsing

Feb. 3, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

After 8 years and 200,000+ km of mostly reliable service, my car has been given last rites. Seems there's an untracable water leak and evidence of oil and water mixing. Economically, its not worth spending the money on a engine strip down. So, its time to look for a new car and I'm a bit rusty on what's out there and how to get the best bang for the book.
I've downloaded the Edmund's app but its US based so pricing is not relevant here in BC so what website's do you use for unbiased information (which needs to be relevant to BC).
Any other apps you recommend?

What year, make, model is your car? There might be interest from someone on this board. You never know what someone's favorite car/project is.

I'm the best at being modest !

Feb. 4, 2016, 5:15 p.m.

If you are looking for pricing you can check this out. It is a paid service. Good once you have a general idea of which car you are interested in.

https://carcostcanada.com/Home/

Feb. 4, 2016, 11:17 p.m.

If you are looking for pricing you can check this out. It is a paid service. Good once you have a general idea of which car you are interested in.

That looks interesting….having my first wander around the dealer forecourts this weekend so hopefully I can whittle the current long list down to a reasonable shortlist…

Feb. 5, 2016, 8:37 a.m.

how to get the best bang for the Buck

Buy a two year old lease return and let someone pay for the depreciation off the lot. I regret paying full pop for a new "warrantee" that was never honoured for bullshit reasons. I'm done with new car dealers.

Feb. 5, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

Ive never actually owned a new car so that's been my general technique in the past. But, for some cars, the depreciation isn't actually that much and when 0% Apr is thrown into the mix, then a new cars starts to become more attractive…

Feb. 7, 2016, 11:31 p.m.

On this topic, why do Land Rovers have such terrible value down the road?

So expensive off the lot, and dirt cheap a few years in.

Is this Yahoo answer (from 2009 when people used Yahoo Answers) correct? Yuppie

Feb. 8, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

On this topic, why do Land Rovers have such terrible value down the road?

So expensive off the lot, and dirt cheap a few years in.

Is this Yahoo answer (from 2009 when people used Yahoo Answers) correct? Yuppie

You're welcome! ;)

I'm close to agreeing with Heckler though. Looking at a few slightly used trucks but still unsure if the value is there. One is on a dealership lot in VanCity but I feel at least 5gs need to be shaved off before even considering it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 8, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

I used this site for buying my Frontier back in the day, it saved me about $1500 in a factory incentive I didn't know about (and the dealer wasn't saying). Worth the $50 if you are buying new (except for Toyotas - which don't have much of any offers and don;t vary from their pricing)