Canopy or Tonneau Cover?

Jan. 14, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

'06 Frontier crew short box. The family is growing and I hear babies require a lot of stuff. Want to keep the truck not interested in SUV or minivan yet.

Have been looking at canopies, or roll top hard plastic tonneau covers. I don't have space to store a canopy during summer months so it would be on year round. Difference in price between the two is not an issue.

Bikes go over the tail gate and truck get used like a truck. Collecting fire wood, hauling junk, towing trailers.

Jan. 14, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

you heard wrong. babies do not require a lot of stuff. it's parents that require it for some odd reason.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

My truck came with an UnderCover classic tonneau. At first, I thought I would swap it for a canopy but I'm happy that I didn't.

It would be a big hassle to put the dirtbikes in my truck with a canopy. The tonneau is so easy to remove and store that it isn't an issue.

I really like it for the times that I need some secure storage.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

I've got the nissan folding canvas toneau on my frontier, its a beauty. Light and easy to fold back, and quick to take off when you need to throw something big into the back.
The rolling style would be more costly but also a great option.

IMO canopies aren't worth the hassle, loading and unloading is more difficult and now you are limited to the height over top. Loading bikes in is also going to be a lot more difficult.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

you heard wrong. babies do not require a lot of stuff. it's parents that require it for some odd reason.

How many kids do you have?

Canopy in the winter and nekkid in the summer.thats how I roll. I'm sure you could find a place to store it if need be.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

Spent three weeks with two one and two year olds that spent the first year in a Toyota Echo. Did not see a stroller, crib, pile of toys go into the minivan once. Kids walk or carried. Mom is strong.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

Loading multiple bikes over the tailgate when a canopy is installed is a pain in the ass fyi.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

'06 Frontier crew short box. The family is growing and I hear babies require a lot of stuff. Want to keep the truck not interested in SUV or minivan yet.

Have been looking at canopies, or roll top hard plastic tonneau covers. I don't have space to store a canopy during summer months so it would be on year round. Difference in price between the two is not an issue.

Bikes go over the tail gate and truck get used like a truck. Collecting fire wood, hauling junk, towing trailers.

Funny, I had the same truck when our daughter was born. I would go with the tonneau. You'll even find yourself using it in the summer because putting the stroller in the back seat every time you park up is a giant hassle (regardless of the weather, those things get stolen a lot in Vancouver).

That said, throwing the stoller in the bed of a truck is FAR easier than an SUV.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

Spent three weeks with two one and two year olds that spent the first year in a Toyota Echo

They don't stay that small forever. Eventually you will take them camping,skiing or even mountainbiking.

Good luck with the echo then. I regularly haul 4 bikes or sets of skiis. A canopy with a rise in the back does that just fine. I can even load the bikes on the tailgate all by myself!

….but I guess they could do all these things on their X box.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

This is what I meant kids don't need when florider said kids need a lot of stuff.

Jan. 14, 2014, 1 p.m.

I have a canopy and most of the time I would rather have a good tonneau. Canopies are heavy and make the front 2/3 of the box hard to access. For bikes over the tailgate, 1 bike no problem, 2 bikes is tricky, 3 no way.

EDIT: I don't have the rise in the back like Tacklebox.

Jan. 14, 2014, 1:29 p.m.

:werd:

It's hard to load the bikes over the tailgate when you have a canopy on, unless the canopy is tall. One bike is easy as you can angle it, but when you have a few bikes it becomes difficult to do.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 14, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

I would go with neither for now.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 14, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

I have an access tonno on my truck It is a soft roll up,The access tonnos clip in the back and can be locked with your tailgate. I luv soft tonnos as they can be rolled up to use the box,I have a soft snap on tonno on a toyota truck it lasted 15 years it was great,

Jan. 14, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

I can do 4 bikes over the tailgate with my tall canopy, kind of hard but you get the hang of it. I would probably get a cover if I had to choose, easier to remove and whatnot. I take my canopy off for the summer, and have locking box in there for small stuff. With a tall canopy you can stuff a lot of junk in there without having to strap it and stuff, like dump runs, so in some ways you can really carry more with it on.