Canadian Direct Insurance

April 14, 2011, 1:50 p.m.

People driving around with no insurance? Hmmmm… let me think about that…

I think he was more thinking of an ideal situation were these people weren't driving at all.

April 14, 2011, 1:53 p.m.

I have been hit by a driver with out of province insurance it was pretty much a no brainer as to who's fault cuz the car was parked at a restaurant where everybody in the place seen the woman lock up the brakes on glare ice and hit my car she didnt argue it was her fault but Her company dragged their feet on the claim for as long as they legaly could

April 14, 2011, 1:59 p.m.

I think he was more thinking of an ideal situation were these people weren't driving at all.

Ideally, yes. Realistically, I would think you'd have more people than you do today driving around without insurance.

April 14, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

I have been hit by a driver with out of province insurance it was pretty much a no brainer as to who's fault cuz the car was parked at a restaurant where everybody in the place seen the woman lock up the brakes on glare ice and hit my car she didnt argue it was her fault but Her company dragged their feet on the claim for as long as they legaly could

Yea, imagine if there was an actual dispute.

April 14, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

This women was a nice person who was sorry who was moving here from ontario , ICBC fixed my car asap and I got the deductible back when her company settled

I would say that because ICBC is USUALLy the insurer for BOTH parties in a claim a lot of shit gets done really fast and seamlessly that we take for granted

They may not be perfect but neither are private insurance companies and they will ALL try and screw you in a medical disability claim SO practise due diligence

April 14, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

This women was a nice person who was sorry who was moving here from ontario , ICBC fixed my car asap and I got the deductible back when her company settled

I would say that because ICBC is USUALLy the insurer for BOTH parties in a claim a lot of shit gets done really fast and seamlessly that we take for granted

They may not be perfect but neither are private insurance companies and they will ALL try and screw you in a medical disability claim SO practise due diligence

This is why I think that ICBC does a pretty decent job. I've not had too many dealings with them, but every time that I have, it's been excellent.

April 14, 2011, 3:10 p.m.

I have a differing opinion on ICBC.
I've been in two accidents so far. First was when a lady ran a red light and T-boned my truck. No witnesses came forward, and her telling the police officer that she didn't know the color of the light wasn't enough for ICBC to settle liability and they had it at 50%, making me pay higher premiums. It took over two years and a pre-hearing with a judge for him to laugh it off and point the blame to her.
Another accident was just a little fender bender in a parking lot in Bellingham. The guy didn't end up having insurance, and when I think back I should have probably dealt with it then and there. But I took his details and went home and got a couple quotes for the damage, sent them down to him and got a cheque for the 1200$ back to me pretty quickly.

April 14, 2011, 3:18 p.m.

CDI is a great way to go. I've been with them for over 10 years for both home and auto insurance.
My claim experience was great - the neighbour kid had dented my hood with a stray ball. Just had to call their claims number and tell them what happened. They suggested some shops but I had one in mind so they said no problem. All the paperwork was ready to go when I showed up at the shop. Courtesy car (actually SUV as they give you an equivalent vehicle) was provided through my coverage as well. Every year on renewal I just send in my signature on the form and they keep deducting the monthly amount from my chosen bank account. So, I still have to go to an autoplan agent once a year for my ICBC basic insurance but I'd have to do that regardless.
In the end, no extra trouble and I save a bunch of money (over $350/yr on vehicle and $250/yr on house)… sweet!

April 14, 2011, 5:21 p.m.

I can remember my dad's car got hit while it was in his driveway. The car had 400k on it and was about a week old. ICBC wanted it repaired with used auto wrecker parts(if they were available)….let's just say he wasn't too happy.

April 14, 2011, 6:07 p.m.

I can remember my dad's car got hit while it was in his driveway. The car had 400k on it and was about a week old. ICBC wanted it repaired with used auto wrecker parts(if they were available)….let's just say he wasn't too happy.

Thats why on some vehicles you can get oem parts coverage. Usually refers to autobody parts more than mechanical.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

April 14, 2011, 6:09 p.m.

yea until the dinosaur that is ICBC goes away, having to get ur basic throu them and only 3rd party extras throu another its def. not the system we should be able to compare offers for..

ICBC needs to open the insurance game to all comers, but im pretty sure the corp. will never allow that to happen, cuz then their nice fat bonus's will disappear..

dude stuf dont be giving them any ideas i pay like 60 bucks a month for insurance I have it pretty good through them, I cant imagine that it could get any cheaper for me…

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 14, 2011, 6:35 p.m.

Quoted for the truth.

That's pretty standard for any insurance provider. They are in the business of making profits, nothing more nothing less. Whatever is cheaper they will do.

That said, there is insurance one can purchase that ensures new parts and full replacement value in the case of a total loss.

April 14, 2011, 6:55 p.m.

I could understand if the auto was a year old and I can understand that they try to save money and even if it's the standard…but a week old….you know the owner is already gonna be upset. Car was parked in the driveway and dude drove through 2 yards and a hedge to get to the car. The old boy woke up and was wondering why someone was trying to park in his driveway….turns out they were stuck on the hedge.

April 14, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

dude stuf dont be giving them any ideas i pay like 60 bucks a month for insurance I have it pretty good through them, I cant imagine that it could get any cheaper for me…

THIS!

Join SIMBS and help mountain biking on the Rock

Get out of the way, freedom's coming through!

April 14, 2011, 10:37 p.m.

Victoria has the cheapest rates in the province, and it's not likely that's changing considering the density of cars and the ahem average demographic.

flickr