Canada, the Bad Neighbor

Dec. 8, 2019, 9:58 p.m.

Actor John Krasinski is one of the CIA’s biggest fans.

“The CIA is something that we should all not only cherish, but be saying thank you every single day,” he declared. 

“The coolest thing ever for me, I mean I totally nerded out when we got to the CIA,” Krasinski effused. “They were the most unbelievably generous, kind, smart people.” 

Krasinski’s comments flowed directly from his experience as the star of the second season of the Amazon series “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan.”

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/12/05/cia-helped-shape-tom-clancys-jack-ryan-series-into-bigoted-venezuela-regime-change-fantasy/

Dec. 10, 2019, 9:15 p.m.

My personal impression of Canada is that of a tattered nation where social cohesiveness based on equality of all citizens in the eyes of the law and within our political system, and with a common-good agenda, has been in continuous decline since the post war years of the 1950’s.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/12/10/citizens-are-never-trusted/

Dec. 10, 2019, 9:28 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

My personal impression of Canada is that of a tattered nation where social cohesiveness based on equality of all citizens in the eyes of the law and within our political system, and with a common-good agenda, has been in continuous decline since the post war years of the 1950’s.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/12/10/citizens-are-never-trusted/

hahahahhahahahahahah

what a load of shit. 

like undeniably, unequivocally and utterly false.

Dec. 11, 2019, 4:45 p.m.

If you read essay he makes a case, but you didn't because you assume author American?

Dec. 11, 2019, 5:02 p.m.

If you read essay he makes a case, but you didn't because you assume author American?

No, I didn't assume the author was America. What I realized was that the opening line, which you quoted, is utter bullshit. What followed next wasn't much better.

I see the point the author is trying to make, but he goes about it in a pretty pathetic manner. IMO not only does the article suck at it's intended goal but factually it is wrong on a lot of fronts.

Last edited by: syncro on Dec. 11, 2019, 5:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 11, 2019, 7:37 p.m.

Which ones?

Dec. 11, 2019, 8:01 p.m.

Which ones?

The idea that everything has been in decline since the 50's. There have been significant gains for women, sexually diverse people, Indigenous people and yes, even the environment.

Dec. 11, 2019, 9:21 p.m.

It's standard for their site - nothing but verbal diarrhea.

Dec. 11, 2019, 11:22 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Which ones?

The idea that everything has been in decline since the 50's. There have been significant gains for women, sexually diverse people, Indigenous people and yes, even the environment.

lol... identity politics. Ask any peeps in group you cited if they consider their lot "significantly" better.

Evironment? Seriously? Riparian habitat salmon farms clearcutting tar sanding comodification of national parks dam building invasive species the list is endless and growing but go ahead keep whistling dixie dude.

Dec. 12, 2019, 1:10 a.m.

Because there was no clear-cutting before 1950...

Dec. 12, 2019, 1:28 a.m.

Posted by: switch

I'm debating if it's worth putting any energy into a response that should seem blindingly obvious.

Dec. 12, 2019, 9:09 a.m.

lol... identity politics. Ask any peeps in group you cited if they consider their lot "significantly" better.

Evironment? Seriously? Riparian habitat salmon farms clearcutting tar sanding comodification of national parks dam building invasive species the list is endless and growing but go ahead keep whistling dixie dude.

Syncro responded to the article you posted that names several identifiable groups.  If this is identity politics, that is 100% on you.  Also, he is correct.  Maybe you need to ask some peeps in those groups that are older what the 50's was like for them.

Dec. 12, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Syncro responded to the article you posted that names several identifiable groups.  If this is identity politics, that is 100% on you.  Also, he is correct.  Maybe you need to ask some peeps in those groups that are older what the 50's was like for them.

Maybe even cite legal texts from the 50s if possible. Over here in my area the rights for women have drastically improved since the 50s. In the 50s and 60s women were  not allowed to work or quit without the consent of their husbands, let alone own property or get a divorce. 

There is still work to do tho. Not all is rosy.

Dec. 12, 2019, 1:38 p.m.

Because they continue, dipshit.

Healthcare. When first struck the deal was 50/50 split between provinces and the feds.

Last I heard the feds were only on the hook for something like 19% of projected costs and that was allowed to be folded into general revenue.

That's decline.

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 12, 2019, 1:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2019, 4:43 p.m.

Because they continue, dipshit.

Healthcare. When first struck the deal was 50/50 split between provinces and the feds.

Last I heard the feds were only on the hook for something like 19% of projected costs and that was allowed to be folded into general revenue.

That's decline.

I'm finding your lack of awareness on this little discussion a bit surprising to be honest. Sure, clear cuts continue, but the level of damage done by logging is not nearly the same as back in the 50's when it was pretty much a free for all. Re health care, an argument about percentages is useless without considering things like dollars per patient and patient outcomes. You're grasping at straws at this point. 

As for your lol about identity politics - that gets a thumbs down. Right now you're sounding like an entitled teenager who has no idea of what people had to deal with 70 years ago. Smarten the fuck up already.