Canada's future economy and jobs - what will they be?

Dec. 12, 2019, 9:39 p.m.

Work in the bike industry!  There is literally hundreds of dollars to make.

Dec. 12, 2019, 10:43 p.m.

I've probably posted versions of this a dozen times in the decade I've been here.  Syncro yelled at me and made me cry the last time, but I'm gonna post it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbsQbMi7x0

Dec. 13, 2019, 12:59 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I've probably posted versions of this a dozen times in the decade I've been here.  Syncro yelled at me and made me cry the last time

lol - wut? 

I like that vid, think it’s great.

Dec. 13, 2019, 1:05 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: ReductiMat

I've probably posted versions of this a dozen times in the decade I've been here.  Syncro yelled at me and made me cry the last time

lol - wut? 

I like that vid, think it’s great.

Let's get into the archives my friend.

(You were probably trying to keep this place afloat at the time)

Dec. 13, 2019, 2:04 a.m.

Let's get into the archives my friend.

bring it!

Dec. 13, 2019, 11:37 a.m.

That is a great video and something I have been thinking about lately.  Without a major breakthrough in the science of aging, I only have a few more decades of quality time left.  I like my job, but I would rather do something else if I had the choice.  Do I want to die regretting that choice?

Dec. 13, 2019, 1:11 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Canadian Border Services

patroling the great canadian wall, keeping those filthy climate refugees from the south out?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Dec. 13, 2019, 1:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 13, 2019, 1:31 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

That is a great video and something I have been thinking about lately.  Without a major breakthrough in the science of aging, I only have a few more decades of quality time left.  I like my job, but I would rather do something else if I had the choice.  Do I want to die regretting that choice?

"I wish I spent more time at work" - Nobody ever.

Dec. 13, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

Hmmm...I am kind of like in the same boat.

But what if the notion of happiness and the dream job is flawed from the beginning? What if this idea is a huge mental trickster? 

No real time to give a thoughtful response but ... you know what I mean?

Dec. 13, 2019, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

we wanna be free. to do what we wanna do......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wf73xqZvk6k

Dec. 13, 2019, 4:28 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Hmmm...I am kind of like in the same boat.

But what if the notion of happiness and the dream job is flawed from the beginning? What if this idea is a huge mental trickster? 

No real time to give a thoughtful response but ... you know what I mean?

Yeah, that's part of what motivated me starting this thread. Plus you probably remember that other thread I started a few years ago about which small town in BC to move to. 

Switching jobs usually means some sort of retraining which means time+money or as in Adam's experience with the Coast Guard a hit in pay. Depending on your level of education though and what field you're looking at switching too, there are lots of one year and part time professional level education programs out there that allow you trade on your past education and work experience to make a quick shift into a different field. Start by making a list of jobs you want to do and then see how your previous education/experience lines up. The other thing to consider is making a drastic lifestyle change. It may seem daunting at first, but often what keeps people from making that leap is the comfort zone of the lifestyle they currently enjoy. The thought of having to downsize to a smaller home, give up the fancy new car or whatever other shit you're attached to can seem daunting but you have to ask yourself what is the real cost of all of that if it keeps you from being satisfied with what you do every day. It's about breaking away from what we've been conditioned to consider what is good or the right way to do things. 

For people that live in Vancouver and own homes, you have an incredible opportunity to radically change your life due to the wealth you're sitting on. The market is down and continuing to head that direction, but there is still lots of opportunity to head somewhere else and do something entirely different from what you do now.

Dec. 13, 2019, 6:58 p.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Seems like jobs that are person to person are the ones with a future. Healthcare, teaching, instruction etc. Also creative fields would seem to be safe from the robots. Sandwich artist made me laugh :D

Yeah this is what I see ^^ besides the usual MD's, Lawyers, accountants, the teachers, nurses, HC proffesionals like OT's, also ever body I know whom is now on the provincial government Teat (so all the pro planners, enviro's, bio's have all signed on) they are all doing really well up here cuz housing is reasonable and you can probably walk to work

All kinds of 20-30 something folks are moving to Smithers for the lifestyle

Personaly I have a few eclectic seasonal gigs but I am pretty much un-hireable

So I havent worked in almost 15 yars ... good thing I'm retired

I did computers for 30 years, even tho it would seem bullet proof I watched automation & technology affect that business as well

Last edited by: XXX_er on Dec. 13, 2019, 7:08 p.m., edited 4 times in total.