Canada Votes 2021

Sept. 24, 2021, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

“Canadians might well be interested to learn that the NDP’s proposed 1 per cent tax on wealth-holdings worth more than $10 million would only affect the wealthiest 75,000 families, but would raise $17 billion a year, according to Alex Hemingway, an economist at the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.”

This was the one bright spot in the NDP platform/campaign for me, but I found it odd that their advertising/campaign didn't offer a deeper explanation on it. Much of the rest of their campaign I found uninspiring or problematic and the constant attack on Trudeau was annoying.  

One thing that I'd like to see is polling data that states why people voted the way they did. I'd guess that 60% or more of people were base voters that vote a specific party no matter what, but knowing if people voted on key issues would be interesting. Primarily I'm curious if people voted based on who they thought has the best plan on climate action and if that aligned with what the experts thought was the best plan.

Sept. 25, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/federal/2021/results/ LOL

We need to move beyond FPTP.

Sept. 25, 2021, 4:03 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Yes. but Quebec is where it would make the biggest difference and that represents a problem. In this election at least Trudeau will probably still be PM unless the Bloc or NDP were willing to align with the Cons, and I doubt that would happen. I think the biggest benefit if some sort of PR system is that people would be more willing to vote for who they want instead of voting strategically.

Sept. 25, 2021, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Yes. but Quebec is where it would make the biggest difference and that represents a problem. In this election at least Trudeau will probably still be PM unless the Bloc or NDP were willing to align with the Cons, and I doubt that would happen. I think the biggest benefit if some sort of PR system is that people would be more willing to vote for who they want instead of voting strategically.

The Nanaimo riding was basically split into thirds between cons, ndp, and green.. it could have been that the conservatives got the seat and then the riding that's 2/3rds not conservative at all get represented by a conservative. That's sheer lunacy in this day and age in my opinion.

Sept. 25, 2021, 7:27 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

The Nanaimo riding was basically split into thirds between cons, ndp, and green.. it could have been that the conservatives got the seat and then the riding that's 2/3rds not conservative at all get represented by a conservative. That's sheer lunacy in this day and age in my opinion.

Yes, that's what I'm saying above and this is the advantage of ranked ballots and PR. In ranked ballots you can rank all the candidates or only the ones you like. So someone who puts Liberals first might put NDP second and Green third. Someone else might put NDP first, Liberal second and Green third. If the Cons come first by a few votes, the Libs second and NDP third, the people who voted NDP first and Lib second then have their votes put towards the Libs. If enough people do that then the Libs would win even though they didn't have the most first place votes. It's a bit more complicated than that, but the point is that we get a govt that most people would support, not a govt that only 1/3 of people support.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 25, 2021, 7:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 26, 2021, 3:30 p.m.

Ranked ballots pretty much ensures a Liberal majority in perpetuity, which is why JT wanted ranked, and his promise to eliminate FPTP quietly died after consultations with Canadians indicated they wanted true PR.