Canada Syndrome?

Oct. 6, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

So there's lots to complain about but "we" seem to be focused on covid and the cost of housing. Is there anything else we should be paying attention to? Is it time to radically change the structure of how companies are registered in Canada? 

Canada quietly seems to have become the world's #1 tax haven.

https://outline.com/hrM6Wj

https://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-is-the-worlds-newest-tax-haven/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 7, 2021, 3:37 p.m.

Depends on how the gubment directs the new found taxation income.

I'd be ok with the basics of infrastructure, education and Healthcare being topped up. If it went to the UN via climate tax, not so much.

Then there's the issue of homelessness and also addiction with a free flowing market of drugs. As we know that's an issue in itself. How do we effectively stop the fentanyl from being unloaded at the ports or docks. It reminds me of the dock scenes in Batman Begins. Then there's Longshore union to deal with for increased security. 

Or a flip side is we change how we conduct our own "business" and make our own havens, which is obviously easier said than done for most of us.

Oct. 7, 2021, 7:27 p.m.

Wages and cost of living are out of whack and it's turning everyone into a bunch of cunts, especially me. 

If we can't figure out how to fix that everything else is just bandaids on an axe wound.

Oct. 8, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

You're not a cunt. It's the owning classes who rigged the system who're the cunts.

There is a class war raging, one that’s being fought by the ruling class of billionaires and millionaires against the rest of us. And the rich are winning! They’re winning because they know where their interest lies: in getting richer and hanging onto their ill-gotten gains. And they’re winning too because our side is sleep-walking, lulled by the diversions of smoking pot and mountain biking, the fundamentalist religion of the free market, and non-economic dog-whistle issues like trudeau, immigration, crime, Covid vaccines and terrorism.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/10/08/the-rich-are-different-theyre-richer-than-us-and-far-greedier/

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 8, 2021, 9:46 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 8, 2021, 9:33 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Wages and cost of living are out of whack and it's turning everyone into a bunch of cunts, especially me. 

If we can't figure out how to fix that everything else is just bandaids on an axe wound.

It seems like Canada went from a normal reasonably affordable place (in terms of housing price to wage ratio) to completely unaffordable in a very short period of time. It's funny to me that we live in such a massive country with an unlimited amount of land yet our real estate prices would lead you to believe we lived in a place like Monaco. 

A non-fixer-upper house in the Vancouver area seems to start at around $2M these days, which is insane. If you don't already have substantial savings, existing "home equity", or financial help from family, no job is going to allow you to afford that. Anyone starting from scratch financially now is totally screwed in that respect. Even a high paying job like a doctor... you're in school/residency until you're like early 30's, then you graduate with 6 figures of student debt. So it's going to take you quite a while to save up that $400k minimum downpayemnt that you need on the $2M house. If someone like a doctor can't afford a normal house in a city you know somethings wrong...

Oct. 8, 2021, 10:01 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

A non-fixer-upper house in the Vancouver area seems to start at around $2M these days, which is insane. If you don't already have substantial savings, existing "home equity", or financial help from family, no job is going to allow you to afford that. Anyone starting from scratch financially now is totally screwed in that respect. Even a high paying job like a doctor... you're in school/residency until you're like early 30's, then you graduate with 6 figures of student debt. So it's going to take you quite a while to save up that $400k minimum downpayemnt that you need on the $2M house. If someone like a doctor can't afford a normal house in a city you know somethings wrong...

RE prices have actualy gone way up everywhere, in the last couple years prices also went high up narth in Smithers also PG

wages are lower in town so I think a lot of people up here are going to camp to make $$$$$ and local business can't find staff

rents are high and there is a shortage

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 8, 2021, 10:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2021, 2:58 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

RE prices have actualy gone way up everywhere, in the last couple years prices also went high up narth in Smithers also PG

wages are lower in town so I think a lot of people up here are going to camp to make $$$$$ and local business can't find staff

rents are high and there is a shortage

Camps are having a hard time hiring too. 

When a one bdrm in a town with no walmart is going for 1400/mo, you know something is off balance...

Oct. 8, 2021, 7:14 p.m.

This is probably a stretch, but hear me out.

Maybe we should have a federal beneficial ownership registry to see who is really buying our housing stock... and not a bullshit one, like an actual, "We will take it away from you if you lie" type one.

If we allow anyone from anywhere to buy our housing stock we need to accept that those living there will never be able to buy in.

That type of policy is very expensive when it comes to civil unrest.

Oct. 8, 2021, 7:33 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Maybe we should have a federal beneficial ownership registry to see who is really buying our housing stock... and not a bullshit one, like an actual, "We will take it away from you if you lie" type one.

If we allow anyone from anywhere to buy our housing stock we need to accept that those living there will never be able to buy in.

You saw that referendum they had in Berlin right?

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-berlin-locals-vote-to-expropriate-real-estate-giants/a-59315431

As for who is buying our housing stock? Pretty sure it's just a few large companies.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 8, 2021, 7:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2021, 11:46 p.m.

You saw that referendum they had in Berlin right?

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-berlin-locals-vote-to-expropriate-real-estate-giants/a-59315431

As for who is buying our housing stock? Pretty sure it's just a few large companies.

Pretty awesome about Berlin.  Hopefully it starts a trend.

We can't say for certain who's buying what because beneficial ownership registries are not something our political parties want to enact.  Mainly because those parties income comes from a lot of property developers.  I have my hopes for BC's registry, but I have a sneaking suspicion there are some massive sized holes in there for the rich to waltz through.

Oct. 9, 2021, 11:30 a.m.

It seems to me like it's a global real estate bubble, which has no spilled over in to rent price increases as well, but like everyone else is saying there's massive fuckery afoot here when shitty houses in Port Alice and winter harbour are selling for 4-500k. If it does imploded we might as well just fucking reset everyone's debt to zero and start fresh. I also think we need to bring our the guillotine for these rich fucks and remove that greedy brain disorder from the gene pool all together

Oct. 9, 2021, 11:40 a.m.

That'd be a good second step after we limit foreign investment in RE.

Oct. 9, 2021, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

It seems to me like it's a global real estate bubble, which has no spilled over in to rent price increases as well, but like everyone else is saying there's massive fuckery afoot here when shitty houses in Port Alice and winter harbour are selling for 4-500k. If it does imploded we might as well just fucking reset everyone's debt to zero and start fresh. I also think we need to bring our the guillotine for these rich fucks and remove that greedy brain disorder from the gene pool all together

Perhaps you should look at the property itself and not the shitty house thats on it? I doubt they'd let the bubble truly implode but they'll take everyones money and turn all those into renters for life. You're idea of a reset, while cozy, is not the type of reset they have in mind. Just like the guillotines wouldnt be for them.

Oct. 9, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

... and it's turning everyone into a bunch of cunts, especially me. 

lol

Sooo glad you (finally) noticed this

;)

Oct. 11, 2021, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

That'd be a good second step after we limit foreign investment in RE.

They banned foreign ownership in New Zealand. It did fuck all to help. Anyone who still thinks foreigners or welfare recipients are the problem have been utterly played and are nothing but tools for the worst of the greedyand entitled. 

The heart of the issue is housing becoming a stock to invest in as opposed to shelter to live in. We need to enact rules banning real estate hedge funds from buying anything at all and limit individuals to two or three pieces of real estate max. One primary residence, one recreational and one rental/investment maybe. That would be like tossing a nuke on the market though and I don't claim to understand what all the effects would be. 

Basically we're fucked. We've painted ourselves into a corner. My darkest prediction is individual home ownership will eventually become a thing of the past and renting will be the norm for all but the elites.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 11, 2021, 11:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.