camera shops around vancouver

Oct. 2, 2012, 7:20 a.m.

So I've decided I'm going to buy a DSLR. I've done my research and I'm going to be picking up a Nikon D7000, with a 16-85MM and 70-300MM lens.

What camera shops do you guys go to/ like?

I went to lens and shutter down town and I really liked the service there. He took probably 20 min to explain the camera to me and show me a few other comparisons as well. Sadly that lens combo doesn't come as a kit but pieced together it's around $2200.

I also looked at vistek.com and found that it's 100 bucks cheaper as a kit (so is it really a kit then?) and if I go buy it in calgary I can save not paying hst.

Thoughts?

Oct. 2, 2012, 7:23 a.m.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Great place to order online from…

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:10 a.m.

Locally I like Broadway Camera (Coquitlam) I've found items there to be very competitive to online pricing.

If you are going to Calgary https://www.thecamerastore.com/ is very good.

If you need information from the dealer and like the 20 minutes he spent helping you, perhaps it's worth the extra $100 rather than take all his information but send your money to someone else.

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:20 a.m.

ask Lens and Shutter to match vistek, they will. The guy spent 20 minutes with you and is willing to help you in the long run too. Give him first crack.

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:25 a.m.

http://kerrisdalecameras.com/

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

I've had good experiences with Kerrisdale Cameras in the past.

On a side note, what are you going to use the camera for? I switched from an SLR to a micro 4/3 setup a while ago and haven't looked back. So much easier to pack around than a full sized SLR.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:35 a.m.

I've bought stuff at Leo's on Granville, Henry's, Vistek, BHPhoto, Broadway and Kerrisdale.

At the time, Leo's was the cheapest if you excluded the online American retailers.

Oct. 2, 2012, 9:01 a.m.

Thanks guys!

I do agree that since the guy at lens and shutter was so helpful I'll want to give them a shot first. I'm thinking since I need to pick up everything (bag, memory, accessories) I might be able to get a little better deal on that stuff to save myself some money.

Good service goes a long ways in my books since I'm very new to the DSLR market. I walked in and said I'm looking at purchasing a DSLR camera, a friend of mine suggested the Canon 60D and I was wondering what other options there are in the price range?

Obi_Wan - I'll probably start with mostly landscape, and architectural shots, and long exposure. Main reason I want this camera is to have full control over it and nice clarity. I don't mind having the larger camera because I don't plan on bringing this sucker riding.

Oct. 2, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

Worth having a crack at Multiple Electronics, their prices are pretty good if you just want to walk in and know what you want beforehand. But I'm pretty much on board with the others, good service has value so if you're happy with the guy at Broadway and his prices are fair (but not the cheapest in town), pull the trigger. With camera gear, you'll be looking to grow out the system soon, so might as well build up a relationship with a retailer you can trust for good advice.

Hmmm … could substitute "bike shop" in that paragraph, eh? :)

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 2, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

Obi_Wan - I'll probably start with mostly landscape, and architectural shots, and long exposure. Main reason I want this camera is to have full control over it and nice clarity. I don't mind having the larger camera because I don't plan on bringing this sucker riding.

Next time you're at the camera shop have a look at an Olympus OM-D E-M5 or a Panasonic GH2 (the GH3 is out soon though). You have full manual control over everything on most micro 4/3 cameras. The lens selection for micro 4/3 is pretty good now and as I mentioned, image quality between it and an APS-C DSLR isn't that great. If you were getting into sports photography I would say stick with a full sized DSLR but it seems like you're not.

Nothing wrong with the setup you've chosen but keep an open mind. As I mentioned, I got tired of lugging an SLR setup around and eventually got to the point I wouldn't even take it with me on vacation.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Oct. 2, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

KenN - I actually had bike shop in my first attempt at writing that out, but it was turning into broken english. I have a lot of respect for shops that will take care of you once you show a little loyalty to them.

Obi_Wan - You've got some good points. I do hope to get into sports photography eventually. If I had lots of money I'd probably get 2 camera's. A DSLR, and then one of those smaller full frame dslr cameras just because they look cool.

Oct. 2, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

Whichever system you go with, spend the money on good lenses. The brighter the better! Camera bodies are updated almost every year but good lenses will last you a long time.

Oct. 2, 2012, noon

3rd for Kerrisdale Camera, both the Kerrisdale location and more recently the location in Burnaby at Kingsway [HTML_REMOVED] Willingdon. (I don't have a DSLR though.)

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:40 p.m.

Nikon is very strict with their anti-gray market policies - if you buy a US camera any warranty work would have to be done in the States.

I try to buy cameras locally - Try this site, they compare Canadian and US shops:

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03307/Nikon-D7000-price.html

Print it out and take it to your local shop. Most will match or come close enough the shipping would even it out.

PS wow, those are good prices for the D7000 - a full $100 cheaper in Canada!

Pete

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:46 p.m.

you shouldnt get a 70-300.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/