camera shops around vancouver

Oct. 4, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

Canon EF lens AF works on a cropped body.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 4, 2012, 2:15 p.m.

I knew this was the right place to ask!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, you've got me re-thinking what I want to buy to start out, or at a minimum to be sure about my current choice. Since I'm moving up from a shitty point and shoot (really shitty one) I'm thinking I might be better with something like the the 16-85 or the 17-55 (wow this one's nice) which Obi_wan brought up. I can buy the telephoto zoom later if I realize i need something a little more.

Oct. 4, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

I started to get into photography, but then I found it cheaper to drag DaveM around and take the shots. The results were also a shit ton better.

Oct. 4, 2012, 6 p.m.

True but on a DX camera won't that 24-70mm have a field of view equivalent to 36-105mm FF? Not sure but that might not be wide enough for some people. There is a reason that DX zoom starts at 17 vs 24mm.

1.5x is the crop factor. 24mm is pretty damn wide still on a crop, I think (I shoot with a 28mm on crop, and it's pretty wide). 17-55 would be still 1.5x crop too.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Oct. 4, 2012, 7:05 p.m.

1.5x is the crop factor. 24mm is pretty damn wide still on a crop, I think (I shoot with a 28mm on crop, and it's pretty wide). 17-55 would be still 1.5x crop too.

Yes, but 24mm equates to about 36mm while 17mm equates to around 25mm which is much closer to the 'classic' wide angle 24mm field of view. Just try both lenses in the shop and see which one is wide enough.

I guess it all comes down to if he thinks there is a chance he will ever switch to a full frame camera.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Oct. 4, 2012, 7:17 p.m.

Yes, but 24mm equates to about 36mm while 17mm equates to around 25mm which is much closer to the 'classic' wide angle 24mm field of view. Just try both lenses in the shop and see which one is wide enough.

I guess it all comes down to if he thinks there is a chance he will ever switch to a full frame camera.

This is biggest. Could always do a prime set up to…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Oct. 7, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

So I answered my own question as usual. Turns out memory express sells nikon gear and for the cheapest price I've seen yet. I've always been happy with they're computer service and they've stood behind they're warranties. I almost bought the camera when I was in there the other day… except that i would have to deal with the wrath of wife then.

Oct. 7, 2012, 1:36 p.m.

I did the following when I bought my D90 and lenses a few years ago and saved a nice bit of coin.

Go to http://www.shopbot.ca/ and search for the camera you want. I found the D7000 body for $871 here: http://www.mostlydigital.ca/product/H149853/Camera---Digital-Camera/Nikon-D7000-Body versus $999 at L[HTML_REMOVED]S. Now print this out and take it to Future Shop where they will beat or price match their competition and save some coin. Future Shop will match any online retailer as long as they are an Authorized Nikon Dealer and are a Canadian based company. I ended up saving over $400 total on my kit.

Obviously you could just buy it online and save the cash which is the easiest option, but if you want it right away the option above will save you a bit.

Oct. 7, 2012, 2:43 p.m.

im really looking at getting the new D600 my D2H is starting to really show its age.. I only have 5 lenses so it will not be to much to change over.

does anyone know if Nikon still does repairs in richmond?

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Oct. 7, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

Don't screw around - get a D4.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 7, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

One thing to also consider if buying a Nikon product online. If you ever need any service done (I get them to clean my gear every winter) Nikon Service in Canada won't touch a Nikon product sold outside of Canada (they check the serial # before accepting the product)

Oct. 7, 2012, 8:05 p.m.

^^^

That's really all the reason I need to justify not buying a product.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 7, 2012, 8:55 p.m.

is Nikon Canada still in Richmond? if not I have no problem going to Point roberts to get it fixed or cleaned. 10 min drive.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Oct. 10, 2012, 7:06 a.m.

It sound like they still are. The guys at memory express we're saying how the nikon repair shop is a 5 min drive from their store.

Nikon's warrenties are a little funky but for some reason they offer different warrenties in different contries. Lenses in the states are 1 year, in canada they're 5! Not sure why but thats the way it is. I'm not going to let that stop me though.

Oct. 22, 2012, 8:49 p.m.

so Canon has shut down ordering of bodies from the states to Canada. looks like it's Vistek from here out. Too bad because I actually got much better service from B[HTML_REMOVED]H than I ever got from the local shops.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"