Camera

Dec. 16, 2008, 3:02 a.m.

Thinking of buying the girlfriend a camera for Christmas. The Canons here are really over priced so started looking for one to ship to Malta but couldn't find any. So can you help me to either find a store that will ship to Malta or which camera make is best. BenQ or Casio or Sony.

Never liked BenQ but they are getting better, Casio don't know much about and Sony always just looked like nothing special. Some help please Christmas is round the corner. Thanks

Edits

Dec. 16, 2008, 3:07 a.m.

How about Kodak, pretty cheap, decent enough quality, many with HD video.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:24 a.m.

Would you buy a parachute from a wig factory? Stick to companies that actually make cameras for a living (Canon, Nikon, Pentax…etc) you won't regret it.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:51 a.m.

P[HTML_REMOVED]S or dslr? either way, listen to jbazett. Buy from a company that makes camera's as their major buisness. its like buying a name brand bike from your lbs vs a POS no name department store bike. sure, the department store bike has 2 wheels and can be pedaled, but its not really worth it IMHO.

if you're going dslr, I'm really happy with my nikon D60, and they have come down in price by a couple hundred buchs since I got mine because new models came out.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:53 a.m.

i'll assume you are talking digital and not film, the sony cybershots with the zeiss lense and image stabilization are pretty damn good, not as crazy about the setup vs. cannon, but unless you need something really crazy they take nice pics

meh

Dec. 16, 2008, 9 a.m.

i'll assume you are talking digital and not film, the sony cybershots with the zeiss lense and image stabilization are pretty damn good, not as crazy about the setup vs. cannon, but unless you need something really crazy they take nice pics

yup. and tough as nails. gooch actually brings to the table some info without one single sexual innuendo. you hungover there boy?

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:09 a.m.

i personally like canon and feel sony is over priced for p[HTML_REMOVED]s but for dslr in the beginner cameras the pentax k10 is awesome and priced well.

the missus told me future shop had some great deals on canon and sony (she was there this weekend).

either way, as that jbazett guy said, stick to the main guys and you can't go wrong.

good luck

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:16 a.m.

I have a Casio EX-Z600 point and shoot, and I've been really happy with it. You'll probably get a bit better camera with something like a Canon, but the Casio was cheaper than a similarly spec'd Canon.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:43 a.m.

yup. and tough as nails. gooch actually brings to the table some info without one single sexual innuendo. you hungover there boy?

its a recession bro, cutbacks everywhere

meh

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:48 a.m.

I have a Casio EX-Z600 point and shoot, and I've been really happy with it. You'll probably get a bit better camera with something like a Canon, but the Casio was cheaper than a similarly spec'd Canon.

A lower tier Canon will take better quality pictures than a better spec'd casio. There is a reason it's cheaper. Camera companies make better cameras, Period. In just about every department, optics, sensor, processor, start up time, menu structure…. etc, etc, etc.

A Sony camera, with a Zeiss lens, doesn't actually have a Zeiss manufactured lens, they have a Zeiss licensed lens. Which means that Sony manufactures the lens and they pay for use of the name.

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:53 a.m.

Ebay ftw

Dec. 16, 2008, 10:21 a.m.

I would also consider Panasonic with the Leica lenses. I have been extrermely impressed with their P[HTML_REMOVED]S's

Dec. 16, 2008, 10:38 a.m.

I would also consider Panasonic with the Leica lenses. I have been extrermely impressed with their P[HTML_REMOVED]S's

Agree there… I just picked up a LZ8. Budget camera but decent for the price. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/page8.asp

Depending on how much stock you put in online reviews, DP actually rated the 2 non-exclusive camera makers (Sony [HTML_REMOVED] Pan.) as the best out of the bunch.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Dec. 16, 2008, 12:04 p.m.

Ok didn't bother reading all the posts because i found a way to get a canon for cheap. Sent it to my aunt in England and she is bringing it down. I really wanted to get her a Canon that's why i was a bit skeptical about the others. This is the one i got her: Canon Ixus 960 What do you think?

Edits

Dec. 16, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

Ok didn't bother reading all the posts because i found a way to get a canon for cheap. Sent it to my aunt in England and she is bringing it down. I really wanted to get her a Canon that's why i was a bit skeptical about the others. This is the one i got her: Canon Ixus 960 What do you think?

Not going to go wrong with that choice. Unless she's like other girls i know:

Me: What do you want for Christmas?
Her: A camera
Me: What kind of Camera
Her: A PINK Camera.