Calling NSMB Investment Guru's

Aug. 7, 2014, 9:22 p.m.

Purchase a self investment tool bro
Do it, do it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 8, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

Canadian couch potato is an excellent resource for beginning investors.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

I would open an e-series account with TD and spread your 15k over the 4 funds described in "option 2" above.

After that, go to the library and find a book on index investing or "the millionaire teacher". Once you have some skin in the game, it makes everything you learn a lot more relevant and easier to digest.

Aug. 10, 2014, 5:45 a.m.

whatever you do don't let any stock jock talk you into buying and 'trading' individual stocks. fools game. quality MF or ETF the only reasonable way to go. you don't want to become a 'trader' EVER.

Sort of. If you work in a volatile industry and can afford to lose the money, it can be. I've done well trading stocks based on industry wide knowledge and frequently use the strategy to fund purchases. For example, ATH is a company mired in scandal right now,but they have the largest possible asset base in the Duverney land play. Every time a new announcement comes out of their office, it drives the stock price down to levels far below what their company is actually worth. I keep free cash in a my TSFAs specifically to capitalize on this, or other situations like it. 7 times now I've used that cash to create a 15-18% return on the correction. The scandal? Chinese company wanted to purchase their land in a different play (oil sands), was approved, paid for half with Athabasca having the option to require them to buy the second half. Athabasca wanted to exercise the option and use the capital to drill out Duverney. Before they had a chance, a native band sued them. Additional closing costs of a few hundred million dollars were announced an appropriate time later (a few months) that are widely speculated to be a cash payout to the band who announced that they had come to resolution. Athabasca exercised their option, but the purchasing company, PetroChina had some execs arrested for corruption.

Worst case scenario? Athabasca is stuck partnered with Brion (the operating arm of PetroChina in Canada) on a JV that is less profitable than the Duverney and they need to access bought financing to drill ahead. Since they already took out a loan, I'm assuming that this will be the case despite the guidance from the CEO that this is resolved in September.

None of that is insider knowledge, and I pay attention to it because it's my job… they're a great buy. I've bought and sold them 5 times total now. 5.90-7.42, 6.50-7.3, 6.6-6.9, 6.64-6.85, and I recently bought again at 6. It takes me 5 minutes when I see their price ticks on my iphone, and I always make some good money on the trades.

Aug. 10, 2014, 7:50 a.m.

my old roomey did the insider trading scam back in the day on the VSE, his buddies would start the company with seed money, tell him when to sell, he used to regularly make 3 to 5 times his investment often in [HTML_REMOVED] a year, I won't mention names because everybody would recognise them. Then I found out he was doing this in my name (dunno how often)because they were running these scams so often, some shares got lost so he needed me to get a notarized statement of loss or SFT, I said you fucker if any thing goes sideways I'm not taking the hit

unless you got the inside dope don't bother because by the time a stock is going up its too late

Aug. 11, 2014, noon

whatever you do don't let any stock jock talk you into buying and 'trading' individual stocks. fools game. quality MF or ETF the only reasonable way to go. you don't want to become a 'trader' EVER.

Not entirely true. Trading can be quite lucrative, but it requires regular monitoring of the portfolio, and some solid discipline. Since most aren't willing or able to follow through on either of these, the most common results are big losses.

One needs to understand the psychology of the market for real gains.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

RRRR.. I hate it when a stock I'm holding has an Halt Trade and news announcement pending. Is it good news? Will I get to buy a new bike? Is it bad news, and I'm going to have to scramble? Or is it just fluff the market will ignore?

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

Tim Hortons?

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

No, I have no Timmy's. I have a friend that bought in at $30.00 though.

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

RRRR.. I hate it when a stock I'm holding has an Halt Trade and news announcement pending. Is it good news? Will I get to buy a new bike? Is it bad news, and I'm going to have to scramble? Or is it just fluff the market will ignore?

Maybe they'll finally announce that big contract that keeps swirling about in the rumour mill.

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

MBLY is running hot today

Aug. 26, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

Gotta love pharma company moves on rumours and initial test results … KITE

Aug. 26, 2014, 11:27 p.m.

I decided to be clever a couple of weeks ago and trim some of my USD positions in case this market loses some steam. Sold my 200 shares of KMP at 80 exactly a week before they popped 20% on the merger news. Trading at 96 now, that would have been a new bike for sure and a 6%div to boot.

Win some and you lose some I guess.

Anyone else have a bonehead move that cost them some potential $$$?

Aug. 29, 2014, 7:38 p.m.

Question for those familiar with online discount brokerages:

I currently use Questrade, and I'm very close to maxing out my registered accounts (a pretty good problem to have in the grand scheme of things). It seems that the only non-registered account option at Questrade is a margin account. I have ZERO interest in trading on margin, so my question is, are there any hidden dangers that I should know about before opening a margin account?

I only plan on purchasing using my cash balance, but I'm leery of the danger of inadvertently buying on margin or incurring some kind of fee. I already keep detailed spreasheets tracking my contributions and purchases, so with some discipline, I'm thinking I should be OK. Any experience or advice?

Thanks!

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Aug. 29, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

Question for those familiar with online discount brokerages:

I currently use Questrade, and I'm very close to maxing out my registered accounts (a pretty good problem to have in the grand scheme of things). It seems that the only non-registered account option at Questrade is a margin account. I have ZERO interest in trading on margin, so my question is, are there any hidden dangers that I should know about before opening a margin account?

I only plan on purchasing using my cash balance, but I'm leery of the danger of inadvertently buying on margin or incurring some kind of fee. I already keep detailed spreasheets tracking my contributions and purchases, so with some discipline, I'm thinking I should be OK. Any experience or advice?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure, but you should talk to them first, that to borrow on margin you would have to complete a credit application for them. In other words, it won't happen unless you authorize it. But… best to ask them.

Aug. 29, 2014, 10:07 p.m.

Canadian couch potato is an excellent resource for beginning investors.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

I would open an e-series account with TD and spread your 15k over the 4 funds described in "option 2" above.

After that, go to the library and find a book on index investing or "the millionaire teacher". Once you have some skin in the game, it makes everything you learn a lot more relevant and easier to digest.

original poster, pay closest attention to this dude. this post is bang on.

funniest thing (even funnier that i'm posting) is that the OP has probably long since passed out from boredom reading all this crap. if you ask a public forum for some investing advice, about 2 minutes worth is about what the ave person has tolerance/interest in, then the gurus/traders/dilettantes take over the discussion in the endless circle jerk that is stock jockery…..