Calling International Land Lines Using Skype?

Nov. 20, 2016, 2:48 p.m.

Anyone do this, and if so, is it any good?

Costs me around $40 every time I call my parents / family in the UK from my cell phone so looking for cheaper options. My parents are way too luddite to set up a Skype account, buy a headset etc, but it looks like I could at least call their home phone number using Skype which is good enough for me.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 20, 2016, 3:03 p.m.

I've used voip via google (had free calling in north america for a while, might still do actually). It worked pretty well. I'd imagine Skype is much of the same.

Worst case scenario, load up $1 or $2 in credit and give it a go… It's only $0.024 a minute or something…

Nov. 20, 2016, 3:41 p.m.

Most times it's been great, and Skype is our "go to" to call home while we are abroad.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 20, 2016, 4:11 p.m.

I've been doing it for the last 6 years. It all depends on the speed of your Internet connection. If you're in a big city it will be no problem. If you're somewhere that Netflix struggles to keep up, you may run into issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 20, 2016, 4:19 p.m.

I've got a Fongo number. Similar to Skype (voip) but an actual number people can call on your smartphone. Free for most of Canada and cheap like borscht around the world.

Your number will show up on their call display if that matters to them instead of a random Skype digit.

Nov. 20, 2016, 4:24 p.m.

Viber out , 1.9 cents a minute , cell to landline

Nov. 20, 2016, 9:51 p.m.

used fongo for 5+ years..it's ok, but quality can be spotty, even on a fast connection…very frustrating for the "olds" in UK.

Tried so many others..google voice/hangouts dialler, skype etc

I recommend Whatsapp .. just get the app on their mobile, and it's like regular calling, but the quality is even above a POTS to POTS service..and it's free

Nov. 20, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

You want the "Skype-to-go" option. You add their landline number as a contact and Skype will give you a local Vancouver number that redirects to them. You end up paying the local Vancouver rate +a few cents/min to Skype.

Been using it for my UK family for years, works great.

Nov. 20, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

No LD calling plan available for your line? I pay 2 cents a minute to Europe landline from my phone.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 20, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

This deal has caused quite the stir over this weekend and believe it will not last long. Check it out, hopefully it could help…..

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-4gb-province-wide-calling-boyd-40-month-ab-bc-only-2055911/

Nov. 21, 2016, 4:31 a.m.

This deal has caused quite the stir over this weekend and believe it will not last long. Check it out, hopefully it could help…..

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-4gb-province-wide-calling-boyd-40-month-ab-bc-only-2055911/

I can't believe Canadian cell phone contracts don't have nationwide calling yet. Been a thing in the US for at least the last 6.5 years I've been here. I get unlimited tf alk and text to anywhere in the US, and they just changed there plans around so calling to Canada is a very cheap add on, so now I don't pay a penny more to call anywhere on North America.

It also means that I didn't have to get a new phone number when I moved from Montana to Nevada.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 21, 2016, 4:54 a.m.

We do have nationwide calling contracts, and have had it for a while. I have it, with 2GB of data and unlimited SMS/MMS, for $43 a month. I've added international SMS/MMS for $5 extra a month, do I'm paying $48 a month. And this includes a premium device.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 21, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

Check with calling cards. My wife was in South East Asia and I had a card that was less than 2 cents per minute. She could buy new sim cards in each country for only a few dollars each and I could get a calling card for $20 with over 1000 minutes on it. It was so cheap for us to talk on the phone that when she was in rural Vietnam it was easier and cheaper for her to call me to get information off the internet than for her to use an internet cafe. There must be something like that to the UK.

edit.

Googled it for you.

4.5 cents per minute

Bunch more here for about the same price

edit edit

Why do you need to call them from a cell? For $40 you can get a shaw home phone with 1000 minutes to Europe. That's way cheaper than what you are paying right now.

https://www.shaw.ca/home-phone/long-distance/

Nov. 21, 2016, 12:10 p.m.

I think it's something like 5 cents/minute with Skype To Go:
https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-to-go-number/

Whatsapp is free, but I get more dropped calls with Whatsapp and both parties need the Whatsapp installed on their smartphone.

I'm surprised people still have landlines. I haven't had one for over 10 years.

Nov. 21, 2016, 2:41 p.m.

Thanks for the info peeps. Looks like Skype 2 Go might be the best option then as my internet connection is pretty good and I need something that my family don't have to be involved in setting up as they are somewhat inept with such things. I think my mum has on;y recently started using an ATM!
We had a landline in our last place, but I've moved into a new spot and don't know how long for so a landline is not feasible at the moment.

treezz
wow you are a ass