Call me Caitlyn

June 9, 2015, 8:22 a.m.

Maybe it was the reality TV, but I wasn't too moved by Jenner's public transformation. Anyway, thought about the above sentiments when reading the following.

What Makes a Woman

I don't think Caitlyn is re-defining what it means to be a women as much as she is trying to define herself. I certainly don't think she is staking her "claim to dignity as transgender people by trampling on mine as a woman". Not sure who the person being quoted is, but I whole heartedly disagree with the first part of what is being said.

The point (and sad fact) of what Jon Stewart said, was soon as Caitlyn became a women, trying to define herself, she was automatically and systematically relegated (by both sexes, no less) to a tiny niche of being-ness: her looks. So as she tries to define herself, she ends up being defined in ways she probably wasn't expecting/wanting. Her only 'power' now will come from how good looking and fuck-able she can be.

If anything, transgendered/sexual people are restoring female 'dignity' by forcing some re-working of how we treat and categorize all sexes and genders.

Goin' Down?

June 9, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

The point (and sad fact) of what Jon Stewart said, was soon as Caitlyn became a women, trying to define herself, she was automatically and systematically relegated (by both sexes, no less) to a tiny niche of being-ness: her looks.

Then again, Jenner did do a lot in terms of "change in looks", so it doesn't surprise me that people comment on that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

The Fake Courage of Caitlyn Jenner

Judgments are not intended to imply that we have proof that shows something to be a fact. - ODNI